Old 07-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Par Member

Niced 113 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
At the very first, they were calling the Raptor the McBeth fairway.
Proto raptors were out to team Discraft players before Paul ever left Innova so I doubt that.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2019, 04:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,595 Times in 912 Posts

So is the RAPTOR and ANAX basicly the same disc. .or is the feel and flight different, if so in what way?

I really starting to like the Vulture . . witch of the two ( Raptor, Anax ) feels and flies most like a OS Vulture?
Old 07-08-2019, 07:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,270 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
Im pretty sure the raptor was promoted as ulibarri's sig disc from the get go

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
Proto raptors were out to team Discraft players before Paul ever left Innova so I doubt that.
I dug back and found where I got this information from. This is from the infinate discs newsletter. After reading this, I just assumed it was correct.

"Discraft has a lot going on right now, and to add to the fun, they’ve added three new molds to their lineup. These molds are presumably for Paul McBeth..."
Old 07-08-2019, 08:31 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 309 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
So is the RAPTOR and ANAX basicly the same disc. .or is the feel and flight different, if so in what way?

I really starting to like the Vulture . . witch of the two ( Raptor, Anax ) feels and flies most like a OS Vulture?
A Vulture and a Raptor feel nothing alike. Vulture really feels different than anything else, except the Predator. I havenít seen an Anax to compare, but someone said itís slightly wider diameter like the Vulture and Pred, and someone else even speculated that itís the old Tsunami mold, which is itself supposed to be an older Predator mold. I would completely dismiss that possibility, since even McBeth said that the Kong was a just a really old Prototype that never made it to market.

So while a Raptor doesnít feel anything like a Vulture and is significantly more OS(from the discs Iíve thrown), and a Predator feels pretty much exactly like a Vulture while being more OS,(but not quite as OS as a Raptor, based on what Iíve thrown), Iíd guess that an Anax will probably feel like a Vulture or Pred while somehow being somewhere in between them in stability- although thereís not a huge gap as it is.

If you really want a slightly more OS Vulture, Iíd recommend you just get a Big Z Predator and beat it in.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-08-2019, 02:08 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 48 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
A Vulture and a Raptor feel nothing alike. Vulture really feels different than anything else, except the Predator. I havenít seen an Anax to compare, but someone said itís slightly wider diameter like the Vulture and Pred, and someone else even speculated that itís the old Tsunami mold, which is itself supposed to be an older Predator mold. I would completely dismiss that possibility, since even McBeth said that the Kong was a just a really old Prototype that never made it to market.

So while a Raptor doesnít feel anything like a Vulture and is significantly more OS(from the discs Iíve thrown), and a Predator feels pretty much exactly like a Vulture while being more OS,(but not quite as OS as a Raptor, based on what Iíve thrown), Iíd guess that an Anax will probably feel like a Vulture or Pred while somehow being somewhere in between them in stability- although thereís not a huge gap as it is.

If you really want a slightly more OS Vulture, Iíd recommend you just get a Big Z Predator and beat it in.
My predators are on average MUCH more overstable than my Raptors. Vultures are all over the place in stability. I have bought a LOT of Vultures. I really love the mold. If you want to know how they go in the stability spectrum, it goes like this from most understable to most overstable:

First Run Z, Production Z, ESP, Big Z, Crystal.

The crystal Vultures from this year's Ledgestone can almost be a Predator, depending on your power level. They are VERY overstable for a Vulture. The really flippy ones for me have been the first run Z. They are generally quite easy to turn out of the box. The rest fall somewhere in between.

I wasn't personally a big fan of Raptors. Most of them I had were moderately overstable, but with a lot less glide than a Vulture. I couldn't really make sense of where the disc would fall in my bag, since I have such a nice variety of Vultures. They might work as a slightly shorter Vulture for range control, but that shot is rare enough I didn't think it was worth carrying one.

The Predator also has a kind of bead on the bottom of the rim which makes it fairly dissimilar in feel to either the Raptor or Vulture. I don't mind the bead, but it feels more old school than the sleeker profiles of the newer molds.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,595 Times in 912 Posts

Tryed many Vultures and the Ti and Tour ESP made my bag. . but a big jump in stability up to my Pred

Going to try the ANAX. . could be fun
Old 07-08-2019, 11:07 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 309 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan C View Post
My predators are on average MUCH more overstable than my Raptors. Vultures are all over the place in stability. I have bought a LOT of Vultures. I really love the mold. If you want to know how they go in the stability spectrum, it goes like this from most understable to most overstable:

First Run Z, Production Z, ESP, Big Z, Crystal.

The crystal Vultures from this year's Ledgestone can almost be a Predator, depending on your power level. They are VERY overstable for a Vulture. The really flippy ones for me have been the first run Z. They are generally quite easy to turn out of the box. The rest fall somewhere in between.

I wasn't personally a big fan of Raptors. Most of them I had were moderately overstable, but with a lot less glide than a Vulture. I couldn't really make sense of where the disc would fall in my bag, since I have such a nice variety of Vultures. They might work as a slightly shorter Vulture for range control, but that shot is rare enough I didn't think it was worth carrying one.

The Predator also has a kind of bead on the bottom of the rim which makes it fairly dissimilar in feel to either the Raptor or Vulture. I don't mind the bead, but it feels more old school than the sleeker profiles of the newer molds.
I have to admit that Iíve only thrown 5 Vultures, and they were all early ones- 2 Big Zís that have no tooling on the inside of the rim(Iím assuming current ones probably do?), and 3 Zís that are from the first run. There hasnít been much difference in any of them, except the one Big Z thatís max weight is just barely more resistant to turn than the other 4 that are all 170-172ís.(I think- possibly 173-174ís...)

Iíve also only thrown two Raptors, obviously first run, and they are far more resistant to turn than any of the Vultures, the one Big Z Pred I had, or a Z Pred I still have. They also have less distance potential and seem slower and/or less glidey, but I really like them for reliable forehands since they donít turn. I will admit that a Crystal Sparkle FLX Ledgestone Pred is at least as overstable as those two Raptors, but they are also way flatter than the other two Preds, and also somehow molded up with a slightly wider rim that actually matches a Firebirdís rim width. A totally different animal than the other two Preds Iíve thrown.

As for feel, the Vulture doesnít have quite as much of a lip on the bottom, but it still feels fairly close to a Predator to me. Certainly closer to a Pred than a Raptor...
Old 07-09-2019, 10:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
Just curious, but have you tried a Thunderbird or PD and not liked them for this slot? If so, why?
No those are perfectly good options. I have a Thunderbird in the bag now, also use Orion LF's they are like an Orc/Thunderbird. I like the PD but I want an S line max weight in white and I never see them, I want something easily replaceable too. The Anax looked like a nice flight when Paul uses it haha of course so its interesting. But it'll depend on what plastic they run it in and how RARE its going to be. Lord knows I have enough discs.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,267 Times in 1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
I like the PD but I want an S line max weight in white and I never see them, I want something easily replaceable too.
You might have already done this, but you could check the Innova Proshop for Factory Second S-line PDs, and call them up and see if they have them in white. My Pro Thunderbird is an F2 and white, so maybe they have some PDs that way, also. Infinite Discs sometimes carries F2 discs, so maybe check their site, as well...

Old 07-09-2019, 10:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,176 Times in 593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
But it'll depend on what plastic they run it in and how RARE its going to be. Lord knows I have enough discs.
Discraft stock plastic runs aren't rare (ignore the lack of Z Wasp availability right now)

It's the LE plastic runs that can get tricky.