Old 07-09-2019, 09:47 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,270 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
Technical courses like Idlewild where she has dominated the field two years in a row?

If you really wanted to Paige proof a course you would make a lot of holes that are around her max distance but have lots of OB.

But like someone else said, why would we want to set a course up to work against one of the only two truly solid players in the division. Having Paige and Cat both playing well and battling every tournament is the best case scenario for FPO until the field catches up to them.
I don't disagree, and no, I don't think the intent is to work against Paige P. The conversation is more like when the Members of Augusta National realized they had to "Tiger-proof" their course... that actually started when they saw Phil Mickelson abuse Hole #3. The point was to make the course challenging for all, and I believe that's what we're really discussing here.

I also would like to see more than just Paige P/Black Canary (Catrina) battles. I was glad to see Paige B contending after she won Worlds last year and in the first part of this year. Unfortunately, Sarah Hokom seems to have faded some. Hopefully another 'contendah' will step up and consistently challenge in the FPO field.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2019, 10:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,344 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
Technical courses like Idlewild where she has dominated the field two years in a row?

If you really wanted to Paige proof a course you would make a lot of holes that are around her max distance but have lots of OB.

But like someone else said, why would we want to set a course up to work against one of the only two truly solid players in the division. Having Paige and Cat both playing well and battling every tournament is the best case scenario for FPO until the field catches up to them.
It is not setting up the course to work against the long throwers that is the goal. It is setting up the course to enable the field to play the game of golf fairly. The long throwers will have an advantage either way but the advantage should not manifest itself as holes where they have access to scores no one else does. The advantage should show itself in their being able to throw more controllable discs, etc.

I am currently working on the course setups for USWDGC in just this respect.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:14 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,736 Times in 794 Posts

The problem with open courses like the ball golf temp layouts is being able to force shorter throws than max D where at least half the field or more can reach. For example, if you want a hole where the farthest MPO can throw is say 425, you either have to put an artificial OB "pond" in the fairway that goes from 430 to 570 or pinch the width of the fairway at that range with OB on both sides. Much easier to create fairer distances when you can design using trees tall enough to force more shot shaping.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Biscoe,

How do you answer those fans who say that distance is a/the primary aspect of the sport? I am asking this somewhat pedanticly, but I think the answer is important and appreciate your thoughts.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,344 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Biscoe,

How do you answer those fans who say that distance is a/the primary aspect of the sport? I am asking this somewhat pedanticly, but I think the answer is important and appreciate your thoughts.
Distance is certainly a valuable skill. It should be rewarded. As i said above however the rewards should lie in having easier upshots, being able to reach more holes with more types of discs, etc.

It should not be rewarded for the most part with an ability to score a full stroke better on a bunch of holes than the opposition. This undermines the idea that we are playing the game of golf.

Fans who believe distance to be the primary aspect are quite simply wrong.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:50 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,736 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Fans who believe distance to be the primary aspect are quite simply wrong.
Maybe not Distance directly but net throwing Power does matter since even in the woods, being able to throw rounder edge discs the same distance as others using drivers will typically produce lower scores. The only holes where power doesn't pay off is short downhill holes where even beginners can use putters.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 525 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
It is not setting up the course to work against the long throwers that is the goal. It is setting up the course to enable the field to play the game of golf fairly. The long throwers will have an advantage either way but the advantage should not manifest itself as holes where they have access to scores no one else does. The advantage should show itself in their being able to throw more controllable discs, etc.

I am currently working on the course setups for USWDGC in just this respect.
I wish you success. DG is not going to increase in popularity when players win by double digits. The battle for 2nd place is just not as compelling as the battle for 1st.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:15 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.7
Courses Played: 367
Niced 1,758 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Maybe not Distance directly but net throwing Power does matter since even in the woods, being able to throw rounder edge discs the same distance as others using drivers will typically produce lower scores. The only holes where power doesn't pay off is short downhill holes where even beginners can use putters.
Power is still an advantage there. Stronger arms with throw a lower, straighter path. Weaker throwers will need to throw more of an arc, so the disc will wander off to the side before hitting the basket.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,270 Times in 1,669 Posts

Power is great, but it's control of that power that is most important.

Jen Allen has power. But she doesn't beat Paige P on the courses, so sorry.

But we digress, perhaps?

Niced: (1)

Old 07-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 109
Niced 218 Times in 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Not using the rules to her advantage cost Vanessa Van Dyken a stroke on 17. She threw her 2nd shot into a thick bush in the fairway and she decided was impossible to play from her lie. She declared an abandoned throw, took a penalty stroke, and went back to her previous lie 250'+ back up the fairway. Her 4th throw (including penalty) went barely past the same bush, 5th throw upshot, then took a 2-putt for a 7.
She should have declared optional relief. She could have moved backward out of the bush to any location on the line of play. This would have given her the chance to take her 4th throw from much closer to the basket than using a re-throw. She could have come out of it with a 5.
Unless the TD declared as casual relief a bush is not a solid object no matter how dense it is to get optional relief from. She played as she should have or she could have gone into the bush. She can't do what you're suggesting