Old 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,598 Times in 1,649 Posts

Hmm that is strange. Could be a nose up thing. A 5' high laser to 345'ish is no joke, that's a smash, so you definitely got a hold of it and that was definitely nose down.

The other thing is if you are throwing high-ish speed drivers that are supposed to be somewhat understable for those longer shots, maybe you just got them over a speed barrier that really woke them up. There's certain discs where if you have just a smidge more velocity they suddenly carry another 20-30' since they turn just that bit more and they wait longer to fade.

Also are you confidently throwing your putters/mids the same way as drivers? I would expect 310-320'ish out of mids, definitely easy 300' with that range, and 280'ish out of putters reliably.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2019, 05:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 796 Times in 382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Hmm that is strange. Could be a nose up thing. A 5' high laser to 345'ish is no joke, that's a smash, so you definitely got a hold of it and that was definitely nose down.

The other thing is if you are throwing high-ish speed drivers that are supposed to be somewhat understable for those longer shots, maybe you just got them over a speed barrier that really woke them up. There's certain discs where if you have just a smidge more velocity they suddenly carry another 20-30' since they turn just that bit more and they wait longer to fade.

Also are you confidently throwing your putters/mids the same way as drivers? I would expect 310-320'ish out of mids, definitely easy 300' with that range, and 280'ish out of putters reliably.
Yeah all three unusually-long throws I had on the day were with a new 169g Star Tern I just started bagging for fun, and I don't think any of them got more than 10' off the ground. I wasn't really throwing putters or mids with the same low throw, and they were closer to what I'd expect for my noodle arm: 230-ish with putters and 260 or so with my mids. Only thing I did differently for the Tern was a minor grip change, moving the thumb a little closer to the center of the flight plate and intentionally pinching it down on the tip of the index finger.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,598 Times in 1,649 Posts

Play around with the grip a little then. I don't think it's necessary to have a pinch point between thumb/index...the disc doesn't need to pivot directly between those fingers. But make sure what you're doing is comfortable and allowing nose down flights

I'm not surprised that was with a Tern, it could be a combination of nose down and just an extra couple MPH making a MASSIVE difference. But that also shows you what potential you have for distance.

Putters/mids definitely need more height though. Give them a good 15' of air, making sure they are nose down still. If they aren't slowing down and at least dropping to the left a little as they are landing then you could have gave them more time to fly.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 796 Times in 382 Posts

Back for more abuse. I ran a league this year and spent most of my time fixing my putting, which did actually get a little better. But my drives are still a mess. Here's kinda what they generally look like now.

Doing some self-criticism:

Positives
- I've stopped flying over my plant foot, and am mostly finishing upright.
- I'm moving in more of a straight line instead of zig-zagging all over the tee pad
- I tried switching to a stiff upper arm, which looks like it's reduced rounding. It almost looks like the disc is getting to the power pocket (sort of). Note that I don't get the elbow quite as far forward as some suggest. This was per Philo's recommendation to me
- Plant foot looks to be closed

Negatives
- Still tilting my spine forward, though not as bad as I was previously
- I'm still reaching back way too high. It's causing some very obvious swooping
- Looks like I'm turning back too soon. Rear foot looks to be turned too far backward
- Not squeezing my knees together
- Timing with my hips looks to be jacked up
- Don't know what to do with my off-arm

I'm thinking of going back to standstill to start correcting for the off-season. Where should I start?

Old 11-26-2019, 03:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,011 Times in 1,836 Posts

Yeah, things are generally getting better, but fundamentally the way you are shifting your weight is incorrect and flat footed. You turn your front leg open before you plant and are landing on your front heel before your instep plants and your rear heel is still on ground, and you end up slamming into your front leg with hyperextended knee instead of settling into your front leg "from behind you". This is usually a psychological barrier and easier to work on and build trust from a "standstill" or 1 step and perpetual motion drills moving back and forth.

Niced: (1)