Old 11-25-2019, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 864 Times in 584 Posts

The Firebird is the disc I understand the least. The only players I know that use them effectively are forehand guys that never throw flat, so they depend on the overstability. I do not think I have ever seen, in person, a person throw a Firebird backhand. I know I have zero use for one.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 34
Niced 138 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
The Firebird is the disc I understand the least. The only players I know that use them effectively are forehand guys that never throw flat, so they depend on the overstability. I do not think I have ever seen, in person, a person throw a Firebird backhand. I know I have zero use for one.
Really tight sweeping hyzers.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 193
Niced 702 Times in 461 Posts

This How to Build a Bag thread is one of DGCR's all time bests and a must read for any aspiring disc golfer.

Here's a snippet which may be helpful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
Your goal as a beginner is to both improve technique and line shaping. Start with this:

Putter - 1 mold, preferably a stable, in most cases beaded putter in low end plastic that isn't flexible (e.g. S Wizard, KC Aviar, D Challenger, D Focus, S Voodoo, etc.)

Mid - 1 mold, neutral to slightly overstable (e.g. DX Roc, Buzzz, Shark, Cro, Element, there's like a million of them).

Driver* - 1 mold, slow, low end plastic, with some turn and some fade (e.g. DX Cheetah, M Polaris LS, DX Gazelle, D Cyclone, DX Eagle-X, etc.)

Overstable Driver - 1 mold, overstable by design, not because of speed (e.g. Banshee, Firebird, Predator, etc.)

Ideally, you'll be able to shape any line from pure hyzers to pure anhyzers and all sorts of 'S' and straight shots in between. Being able to control all of those discs on full power drives is important.
I've always found it interesting that garublador included the OS driver mold in his original four discs. If you read the rest of his post, that's even before discs like a Teebird and some other drivers. Yes, a Firebird (I'm mainly thinking a standard Champion or other premium plastic as opposed to a FAF) will be quite beefy, but it will be useful in many situations. I'm thinking headwinds (over an OS mid or putter because the extra speed helps here) and skip shots. Other things I'd think an OS mid/putter option may not be bad. Even for overhands, I used to use a Drone a lot and found it a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muptonfish View Post
I am an admitted weak arm thrower (Teebird 250-270ft). What use is a Firebird or similar disc to me? What shots wouldn't a similarly OS mid cover that an OS driver does?

I'm mainly asking as I picked up a used DX Firebird at PIAS a few months ago and I'm struggling to find a use for that my Dx Gator or Champ RocX3 can't do.
As above, I do think you'll find some benefit and may even learn some new shots. I particularly remember the glee of learning Firebird skips, both forehand and backhand and low thumber/tommy skips. I don't think any mid will do that. For headwinds they can be useful too. And who can doubt garublador in that classic thread?

That said, you're using a used DX Firebird, which won't have the same overstability or skip potential as a Champ/Star/etc. But next time you get the "new disc itch," I'd think a Firebird (or Pred, Banshee, etc.) is worth a shot.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:08 AM

Niced 30 Times in 15 Posts

It seems to me there is only one purpose for base plastics and that's for putters. Even then popular putters seem to be sold in special plastics just for that disc (see the Aviars, Wizards and Discraft putters).
Old 11-28-2019, 09:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 27
Niced 542 Times in 223 Posts

I bag a champion Firebird

The disc is my get out of jail free disc.

To have the surefire knowledge that it's going to flex out of any angle you put on it and it will nearly always give you a flared skip at the end lets me get out of all sorts of horrible lies forehand and backhand.

It also makes a great forehand roller disc with a center of gravity very near the middle

I like throwing it at full power on shorter holes and knowing it's only going to get so far before it fades, it's pure reliability.

As one example there is a short warm up hole I throw the bag at at Quarry Park. It's about 220' with two large trees in the way, you have to go wide hyzer to get to the basket. I throw everything I have at it from the flippiest putter to the high speed driver on varying degrees of hyzer and heights before a round to warm up. Come a time when there is a must two (competitions) I will take out the Firebird, throw it flat and hard and quite high to the right of the trees and watch it fade hard to within a few meters everytime. the purist in me prefers throwing putters and mids at it, but if i want to guarantee the two in any conditions out comes the Firebird.

Could I throw i more than 300'? probably not even in a hurricane! But who cares!

Old 11-28-2019, 11:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,058 Times in 404 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
It seems to me there is only one purpose for base plastics and that's for putters. Even then popular putters seem to be sold in special plastics just for that disc (see the Aviars, Wizards and Discraft putters).
Every spot in my bag has at least one disc in base plastic.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 825 Times in 575 Posts

FL, FL, 160 FL (even though it says Pro Firebird it's a champ FL)

I tried throwing mine into a hurricane I got about as much distance as anything else but the most reliable placement by far. That was the day I went "aha!"

I dodged the FB for years but since it's moderately stable and with a low enough speed rating it's the best disc that took me 10 yrs to try. You can't fault garublador. When I added it to my bag it opened up a lot of shots.

I prefer it over a Predator fwiw, it will handle any anny angle I put it on where the Pred would hit a cut over to roller on a 45 the FB always seemed more forgiving.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.4
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 178 Times in 96 Posts

In earlier times, any OS disc/mold was highly sought after, but why?

OS means predictiblility and repeatability - everyone appreciates these factors in golf, and I'm of the mind that until a player masters OS discs, they will never approach being 'complete' (ie: fulfilling their potential as a player or determining exactly where their personal 'performance envelope' lies).

That being said some players carry 2 'utility' type discs, one OS and one US, which yields options when stuck in a tight lie (or facing an unfamiliar challenge). If you decide to play with the Firebird, after a bit you might find it helpful and you just might grow your envelope...the point is to try it for yourself and trust your own judgement about its utility in your idiosyncratic game...

Niced: (1)
Old 11-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 49 Times in 22 Posts

*Mods, please delete my post above. User error and not edited within time limit.

I am definitely a noodle arm and have carried a Firebird for pretty much all of my time as a disc golfer. I started off with a CE Firebird, as those were new when I started playing. I beat that thing in pretty quickly (not intentionally, just as a bad golfer) and it ended up giving me a nice slow fade. Sometime earlier this decade, when I decided to take my CE discs out of play, I got a new Champ Firebird to try and replace it. To this day, that Champ Firebird is still much more overstable than my CE one. So, at some point, I tried finding a new disc to replicate the flight of my old CE as much as possible. I've settled on an S-line PD Freak, and in it's current state, it seems pretty close.

I still carry the newer Firebird as well for shots that I need an earlier and sharper fade. These are two of the four overstable discs I carry. I also have a 10x KC Gazelle (my second one, after losing the original) and a DX Ram. I carried a Whippet a long time ago. The Gazelle is nice for shorter shots on a similar line to the PD. As for the Ram, well, that disc starts fading as I'm pulling it out of the bag. It's my saw blade disc.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-29-2019, 11:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 792 Times in 378 Posts

Yes, they're very useful as utility OS discs. They're also great for FH rollers, thumbers, skip shots, and absolutely-must-go-left-no-matter-what-wind short backhands. There's a reason they're so popular.

They're arguably the first very overstable disc a player should buy.

Niced: (2)