Old 09-17-2019, 02:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,008 Times in 1,834 Posts

1. Your thumb should be on the back on the handle. The handle shouldn't curl back past 180 degrees from target. Handle should point straight back, so the head/weight is going/pulling straight back away. At the hit, you are well past the front foot when the hammer head is released, my hammer head is extending flush right over the front foot. Note how my shoulder is leaning in a pendulum and the arm is hanging like a wet towel, your shoulders are flat or even anhyzer to your body.

2. Note your front knee is collapsed over to the left/outside posture/instep, so your shin is more diagonal than vertical. Your hip follows over. Note how my CoG and knee/hip are stacked right over my ankle, and my butt/rear side counters balances more toward the right. Straighten your knee, just enough flex to not lock out, should be much easier to swivel the pelvis with the knee straight/er.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 1.05.30 AM.jpg (61.5 KB, 124 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2019, 10:49 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 142 Times in 111 Posts

Back at it. Have improved my putting game to a staggered stance spin putt but am struggling not to putt on a hyzers while keeping a clean wobble-free release; any help for that would be welcomed. I’ll video myself at some point f that could help.

Snap has improved a lot, I have a little 8 oz tack hammer I use for arm sling and I’ve really improved my midrange accuracy and putter distance and consistency. Now just trying to get at it with the hips and connect it all. Videoed myself with a 3lb sledgehammer. Thoughts are:
1. Slight rounding tendency it seems, but it also looks like an inside-out arc without really rounding. Maybe some insight might help to see if this is a bad thing.
2. My left leg on the from behind view seems to be not in the correct spiral location, like it’s not getting into position or I’m not keeping it loose enough.
3. I feel a lot more connected with my hips, it at least feels a lot more momentum-based from my hips to my shoulders.
4. My head keeps trying to go forward and I’ve noticed after throwing in the field a bit my neck will get sore. Any remedy for this besides just trying not to? Any drill that will put my head into place?
What are your thoughts? What can I improve? Thanks!

Last edited by bsammons; 11-20-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Yeah, your stance/shifting needs work and need to watch the head of the hammer all the way back and forth.

Note how your front foot is turned further back, but the rest of my body is turned further back including rear foot. It looks like your body stopped shifting/turning back and your arm/hammer are wrapping around your body - hugging yourself. Note how I'm in a tug of war with hammer it's pulled my shoulders further back away from target instead of wrapping arm around my body.

Your front foot ends up rolling over to outside edge and your rear foot/heel ends up spinning out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 10.48.53 PM.jpg (35.9 KB, 88 views)
Old 11-21-2019, 08:32 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 273 Times in 209 Posts

Old 11-27-2019, 09:10 PM
Eagle Member

I'm still a little confused and I know I'm being difficult but I just don't understand a few things.

1. When I get into the door frame position I don't know where it's supposed to go, it being the momentum/force. I get off balance when I let go vs you with it being sent forward.

2. One leg drill. I can't find any power with it. I don't know how I'm supposed to get any momentum with it for a downswing. I guess I need to be explained where the potential energy is built up and how it transitions. My brace is wrong and I feel like until I understand that I'll never get my brace right.

Really I'm just so confused as to where the potential energy is positioned, and then how it's transferred. I see all these videos and I still am overthinking it and can't figure it out. I feel I could throw really, really far because of my current distance with poor form but can't get to where the power is coming from the right place.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Really helps to post video of yourself doing these drills.

1. Think of a tug of war and being in a position so that if the other person let go you wouldn't lose your balance, you would just shift or fall forward "from behind" butt first to your right leg. You shouldn't be overcommitted to one direction, when you plant you almost should feel like you can reverse direction back away from target. When I release from the door frame, my front heel plants and everything is basically slung forward automatically from being pulled back like bow and arrow or sling shot through the body.

2. This usually means you aren't standing upright enough on your front leg, like bending the front knee too much so your balance is behind your heel in setup or you are too much over your toes. Your leg should pump the ground like standing on a swing set to swing higher and higher, except it's pumping the shoulder/arm swing in tune to gravity instead of the swing set. Also could mean you aren't letting go of your arm, and letting it swing like a big pendulum from the shoulders.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 11-27-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:21 PM
Eagle Member

Update: happy thanksgiving!
One leg drill video:

Door frame drill:

What I noticed:
1. One leg drill is trash.
2. Door frame drill doesn’t look too bad? I don’t think. I had most of my weight dear foot and then as I let go I planted it in my heel and it seemed to transfer better than it normally does. Rear leg looks funny but I’m not used to that recoil so makes sense.

Thoughts??
Old 11-28-2019, 11:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Posture and balance.

OLD - You need to put your rear foot down on the ground so that you can leverage against the heavy momentum of the backswing pulling you away. I'm not trying to shift my weight/balance to the rear foot, but the backswing is creating some weight pressure going back to the rear foot(see understanding weightshift). I'm not sure if OLD will work with the unfolding backswing instead of a pendulum backswing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90#t=9m8s

DFD - Your front foot needs to be in front of your butt, you are overcommitted and falling on your rear if someone lets go of the rope or door frame gives out. Your rear foot needs to walk targetward like 6-12". Play around with moving your rear foot closer and further away and feel where you find leverage. Note how my rear foot is further away from door frame and I'm more upright and actually have more of CoG over my rear foot, my front shoulder is stacked over rear ankle, so everything is more loaded back against the rear foot and my arm swing is much longer with the shoulder over ankle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=4m15s

Old 11-29-2019, 12:01 AM
Eagle Member

Would you recommend a pendulum vs an unfolding backswing? What’s the difference as far as why it would work best on one leg/how it would be incorporated into the overall form?

As far as DFD: thanks for the correction, I’ll get to trying that out and report back sometime in the next little bit with an updated video/

Old 11-29-2019, 12:41 AM
* Ace Member *

I recommend learning with the pendulum. Why fight gravity? Everything in the body/weight moves more together and smoother in a pendulum and the arm remains pulled taut. Clocks use pendulums to maintain timing as they are extremely consistent.

When you unfold, there is no connection your weight since you have to hold the arm/disc against gravity, so it often has more of hitch or jerk transitioning from backswing to forward swing and it's much easier to mess up timing or sequence. When you unfold, you kind of have to place or manipulate the disc and know the proper space/timing between you and the disc, rather than letting gravity do it's thing and working in tune with it.

I can do backswing either way in normal standstill or x-step, but I can't imagine unfolding working well in OLD or what I want you to feel in the drill, there's just too much disconnection of the body/arm/disc and gravity. Once you learn the pendulum, it's easy to learn or switch to fold/unfold, but you might find you like the pendulum better.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 11-29-2019 at 12:48 AM.