Old 08-27-2019, 04:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Niced 225 Times in 147 Posts

I enjoy reading these detailed rational dissectionings of the motion. Furthermore there's the more intuitive approach with mind images (e.g. hammer throw, break door with elbow). And then there's the approach with motions that only show the body some kind of inner feel that you try to replicate. I think all approaches have their qualities and complement each other.

As my own throw suffered much of strong arming, including all those effects that the body wants to move forward to speed up the disc. The one thing that helped me most was this motion to learn a certain inner feel: Stand normal on both feet. Let your arms hang down, fully relaxed. Don't do anything with your arms, just let them hang, as if they would neither have bones nor muscles. Then rotate your hips 90° to the left, then quick and fast 180° to the right. Your arms will automatically swing around your body ... only caused by your hip rotation! This is the feel you like to have in your throw!

You don't need any muscles in your arm to throw far. Look at the arms of the far-throwers, they are thin. You don't need body movement backward-forward. What you need most is fast hip rotation and therefore you need a straight and tight rotation axis (your body and off-arm).

This does not invalidate any of the written help. It is just another approach, which helped me a lot.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-02-2019, 06:03 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi!

I have practiced quite a lot again, but... Once again it seems I never really improve...I was still throwing further 8 months ago. I'm losing motivation and it's harder to go practice and see no results.

I really tried to understand the weight shift and initiating with the hips. I have the feeling I'm doing it a bit but I'm not sure I do it right.

And I try to rotate on my heel but no matter what I do, it never happens. When I practice in my living room I'm always rotating on the heel but when I really throw, I never do. Is it a big issue not to rotate on the heel?

Old 12-02-2019, 03:24 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 351 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silboh View Post
Hi!

I have practiced quite a lot again, but... Once again it seems I never really improve...I was still throwing further 8 months ago. I'm losing motivation and it's harder to go practice and see no results.

I really tried to understand the weight shift and initiating with the hips. I have the feeling I'm doing it a bit but I'm not sure I do it right.

And I try to rotate on my heel but no matter what I do, it never happens. When I practice in my living room I'm always rotating on the heel but when I really throw, I never do. Is it a big issue not to rotate on the heel?

I would try NOT rotating on heel. I think because you're focusing on it, it causes you to spin out of your brace. Instead, try to focus on remaining planted firmly into the ground. rotation of the heel will happen if it needs too. As SW has said elsewhere, the rotation of heel is passive.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:30 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 17 Times in 15 Posts

You are turning your body forward before your heels settles down. It basically forces you to keep all the weight on the toes.

You should shift your weight onto your front leg before you start rotating forwards. I repeat, you are turning forward before your heel has even touched the ground. I'm repeating this, because it's a really important thing to get right.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Old 12-02-2019, 10:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,011 Times in 1,836 Posts

Sometimes you have to take a step or two backwards to move forwards. I recommend practicing on concrete instead of grass, grass can mess with you psychologically (fear) trying to plant your foot into the ground.

Your front heel/leg is spinning away from target as you plant it and you right go over top it, and your rear heel is spinning away from target after you plant. So your feet are just spinning out instead of shifting your balance/weight forward. You shouldn't have both heels on ground at same time, they should be trading up/down so that you shift back and forth.

Start nice and easy and relaxed and slowly add speed and rhythm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m56s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m14s

Old 12-22-2019, 05:48 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseDownKing View Post
You are turning your body forward before your heels settles down. It basically forces you to keep all the weight on the toes.

You should shift your weight onto your front leg before you start rotating forwards. I repeat, you are turning forward before your heel has even touched the ground. I'm repeating this, because it's a really important thing to get right.
I tried to focus on this. Trying to shift my weight on my front heel before to rotate.

I know it's still bad but is it any better?
Old 12-22-2019, 06:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,011 Times in 1,836 Posts

A little bit maybe. You still spin the front heel away from target coming down, and you lose your pressure in the heel/ankle and spin and jump on the toes with heel continuing to spin out. You need to get your balance/weight pressure more on your front heel/ankle, to send the body into rotation around the foot, instead rotating the foot with everything. The swing will pivot the foot/heel effortlessly when you are balanced on it. I would recommend practicing on concrete somewhere to trust planting into your heel. Grass can be scary trying to learn this.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:41 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You still spin the front heel away from target coming down
Damn, I didn't see this. I'll try to correct that. I will try to practice on concrete.

Disc golf is so hard! Is it normal it takes me so much time to improve?
Old 12-22-2019, 03:40 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I would say that you should try to bend your knees, lower your CoG and get that front leg out more because you are tipping over. Standing this tall over your front leg with that high CoG makes it impossible to brace. And even more so with a lean body type.

Last edited by tisjja; 12-22-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:08 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 51 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silboh View Post

Disc golf is so hard! Is it normal it takes me so much time to improve?
Yes but it often takes some time to realize/look at a drill/way of form and understand it. (For reference I’m 3 years in)

I recommend getting a hammer and doing some of the drills SW has on his YouTube (seabas22). It will help you to feel where the momentum and leverage is., not only with your upper body but your lower body too. With a disc it’s hard to do this, but with a hammer it becomes really apparent.

I would even go as far as to just focus on your foot work without anything in the hand. Lots of the golf videos are great for this.