Old 03-27-2014, 10:25 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Should I play sidearm or learn backhand?

I've been playing for a couple of months. My problem is I can only throw backhand 150-200'. I can throw a mid range disc accurately backhand but not a driver. I can throw side arm 300'-350' with accuracy. Is ok to just drive sidearm? I watched a couple videos and most people say you can only get great distance with a backhand but it seems the opposite is the case for me. I've been trying to learn backhanded drives but lost 2 discs today in the process. Should I keep trying to learn or continue to drive sidearm?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty3 View Post
I've been playing for a couple of months. My problem is I can only throw backhand 150-200'. I can throw a mid range disc accurately backhand but not a driver. I can throw side arm 300'-350' with accuracy. Is ok to just drive sidearm? I watched a couple videos and most people say you can only get great distance with a backhand but it seems the opposite is the case for me. I've been trying to learn backhanded drives but lost 2 discs today in the process. Should I keep trying to learn or continue to drive sidearm?
I would say both. Learn how to play backhand and learn how to play sidearm. It gives your versatility in your drives which will improve your game.

I would use sidearm as your main drives and on rare occasions i would throw your backhand when needed.

I currently play rhbh throwing about 350 feet and max at 375 feet on flat ground.... I throw forehand or sidearm about 280-340 feet average.

Also one of my main reasons for saying this is there are many lines that you can take off the pad or on an upshot. Not every line is available. I sometimes only have backhand anhyzer and have to throw that. Other times the lines or fairway play to a forehand.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

You don't need a 500 foot drive to be a great player. Whatever you do, be able to compliment one form with the other.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Finders Keepers Anonymous Pond Diver

Courses Played: 8
Niced 31 Times in 26 Posts

Both. Keep working on fh but learn understable stuff also as it will help distance and less chance of injuring yourself. Start practicing bh with putters n mids and you will learn form faster and better
Old 03-27-2014, 11:07 PM
Finders Keepers Anonymous Pond Diver

Courses Played: 8
Niced 31 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyBear View Post
You don't need a 500 foot drive to be a great player. Whatever you do, be able to compliment one form with the other.
This is not a dig at you, but do you know any top players who cannot hit 500?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 89
Niced 19 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty3 View Post
I started off throwing mainly forehand too. Some people will tell you that's a lot more difficult than throwing backhand.

If you keep playing you're going to learn backhand, one way or another. As you learn the various idiosyncracies of the different discs (weights, ratings, overstable vs. understable, etc.), you're going to figure out which discs do what. There's all kinds of "rules of the road" that come in "the manual" of how to huck a disc, but in the final analysis the only thing that matters is how you feel about how you throw your discs. Regardless of the "rules" or what you hear here from the wise old sages that've been doing this for a while, whatever works for you is the right way.

For now your best bet is doing and throwing whatever you feel comfortable with. Once you have a basic idea of your game, start incorporating something outside of your comfort zone. In this case, your backhand. Once you get comfortable with that with a few key discs -- I'd recommend a Mamba for drives, DX Roc for upshots and/or putts, and an Aviar for your putts -- you'll get in the zone and start seeing results.

Regardless of how or what your throw though, don't place too much value on the initial results. The point of disc golf is FUN. Have fun with the learning process. Once you realize you're not Paul McBeth right out of the box the more fund you're gonna have. And like The Man said, "Most fun....wins!"

Best of luck, brother!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbeezy1 View Post
This is not a dig at you, but do you know any top players who cannot hit 500?
There is a Difference between "great player" and "top" player (top 25).

McCabe isn't a bomber, neither is Doss. 4 titles between them.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 134 Times in 77 Posts

Both, IMO. You will find as stated earlier both have a place in the game. I go both ways on drives depending on the hole. Flicks are handy in tight spots, weird anglse and odd distances where a backhand just feels awkward or where you are limited with regard to clearance.

Might as well work on the thumbs and tomahawks as well.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

A year ago I asked myself the same question. I could muscle an ape out to 340ish and I thought I was good. If your forehand form is good then I would keep it and slowly incorporate the backhand. If you are muscling it with horrible oat like I was, I would learn to backhand.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:30 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal dg View Post
A year ago I asked myself the same question. I could muscle an ape out to 340ish and I thought I was good. If your forehand form is good then I would keep it and slowly incorporate the backhand. If you are muscling it with horrible oat like I was, I would learn to backhand.
Im taking this entire year to do the following, with my backhand;

Nothing faster than speed 7
No more than 6-8 molds in my bag, preferably no more than 10-12 discs.
Absolutely no forehands in any competition, or local mini.

Goal is to get my drives out to over 300 with accuracy, and nail down my disc selection.