Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 05-07-2015, 11:35 AM

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Overstable Mid or Power Down on Overstable Driver?

I've been trying to find a good overstable midrange but lately I've been thinking that maybe it would be smarter to just have one overstable driver and power down for shorter shots. This way I would only have to learn one disc and use it for all my overstable shots.

Does anybody do this? And does it work better than learning multiple overstable discs?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2015, 11:41 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,110 Times in 745 Posts

learning to throw an OS midrange isn't a hard thing to do but I find the mold somewhat pointless. A straight to light fade midrange is useful just not one which is super OS. IMO yes you can learn to power down a driver for the same truly OS shots you need and actually get better results from the driver.

Its safe to say you don't NEED an OS midrange.

Are overstable mids pointless?
Old 05-07-2015, 11:41 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts

Many MVP Resistor throwers do this, because it works so well powered down, as well as thrown with full power. IMO, it is one of the best discs for a wide range of overstable duties.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:49 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I like having a slower OS disc because I can use my same throw for drivers with mids or putters and achieve the shorter distance. gives me more consistency with my throw. There is enough stuff to worry about already with form! lol
Old 05-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 20
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Recently I played quite a few rounds with just a Drone, Gator, Banshee and a Firebird trying to narrow my molds down and it was an interesting experiment. I ended up finding out that for my game and power level, I could cover most of the fairway to mid range OS duties perfectly well with just the Banshee and it feels better in the hand for forehand shots too. So the Gator and Drone are out and the Banshee stays. The firebird is a different story, it covers the upper end beef.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:24 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 499 Times in 195 Posts

I guess it depends on the stability of the mid.

Drone is a lawn dart. Great for real wind, but I don't bag one unless it's going to be an issue.

DD Truth is 0 turn, 2 fade... and some of the flat top fuzion are more like a 3 fade. Personally, I bag a minimum of 3 Truths.

Beat Classic - turn over mid - no skip.
Used BioFuzion flies straight, no turn. Laser straight, min fade.
Fresh Fusion/BioFuzion is stable with some fade when thrown 300'.
Beat Lucid - a bit more fade.
Flat top Lucid - predictable fade in wind or FH anhyzer.

I use a combo of the above + something truly OS like a drone or more likely a Gateway Karma.

I no longer bag any Rocs / Buzzz / Mako because I feel like the Truth does a truly excellent job in all categories and is less sensitive to speed if I want to push one deep.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 114 Times in 44 Posts

i bag a firebird, zone, and buzz os. Depending on the shot i throw them all quite frequently.

firebird for low ceiling approaches that i can skip in.

zone wide open wind and the buzz os to me is just a longer zone. bagged a drone for a while but buzz os feels better in my hands.

on many shots i feel like any of these three disc will work for me, it depends on what i feel in the moment as to which one i grab.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 52 Times in 22 Posts

I found that very overstable mids were super consistent, but so consistent that it's difficult to actually control. No matter what I get about the same flight (250'-270'). With a very overstable driver I can easily power down to get that same flight (i.e. throw from a standstill), but can also get them out to fairway driver distances when thrown harder. So I have more of a range of 250'-350' with only a small loss of consistency.

What I did find useful were very overstable, slower drivers like a Blaze or Whippet type disc. I don't have the top end distance like they do, but they have all of the consistency at that low end as the mid, but still have a larger range. They also beat up to be amazing. They just overlap a bit too much with my other discs to justify me carrying them. I can see how others would like to have a disc like that, though.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 179
Niced 69 Times in 18 Posts

I cycle Truths as well. I currently have 3. If I need a really overstable wind-fighter, I have a first run Lucid Verdict (with Truth tooling) because it feels the same in my hand.

If I need something with a heavy hyzer and skip, I go with a Felon.

I also bag a Bard and use it for midrange flex shots. I've found I need that throw once or twice a round, so it's good to have it.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I have a wind that my flat Roc3 can't handle, I'll move up to either my eagle X or my Firebird depending on how long of a shot I have. If it's questionable I'll move up to the OS fairway that I know I can trust. I toyed with having a verdict in the bag for a while but found the mold pretty useless as the FW's are just a better feel for me.