Old 08-18-2017, 04:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 193
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 705 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
I think it had been there behind my knee for around 24 hrs. Looked like he bit me three times, so I probably got a good dose of bacteria.
Thorough tick checks post-DG are the way to go. The time they're attached is the main factor deciding whether you get whatever they're carrying. Lyme isn't endemic in my area, but I got ehrlichiosis after a tick was on for 3-4 hours. Since then, I've been a lot more careful after leaving the course. I've had multiple bites since but haven't contracted anything else (that I know of).

A good pair of tweezers and one of those "tick spoons" are my personal favorites. I did all kinds of stuff (camphophenique, match butts) on the one gave me a disease, and that might have helped it barf it's stuff into me while biting the dust...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2017, 05:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.3
Courses Played: 384
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 114 Times in 61 Posts

I contracted Lyme disease the first time from holding a tick between my fingertips for a few minutes after removing it from a friend's scalp (we were going to have the tick tested, but a local assured us that there was no Lyme disease in the area). My fingertips were raw from digging and improving a backcountry hot springs near Crouch, ID.
The second time I was on a wildfire near Coulee Dam, but never saw a tick on me.
Diagnosing quickly is paramount---undiagnosed, the long term effects of Lyme make giardia seem ok.

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 08-18-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 162 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtobediscing View Post
I contracted Lyme disease the first time from holding a tick between my fingertips for a few minutes after removing it from a friend's scalp (we were going to have the tick tested, but a local assured us that there was no Lyme disease in the area). My fingertips were raw from digging and improving a backcountry hot springs near Crouch, ID.
The second time I was on a wildfire near Coulee Dam, but never saw a tick on me.
Diagnosing quickly is paramount---undiagnosed, the long term effects of Lyme make giardia seem ok.
You can't contract lymes from handling a tick. It has to be actively feeding off of you and even then for a significant period of time.

I would be willing to bet that given you and your friend were in the same area, there was a tick on you as well that went unnoticed.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 3
Niced 168 Times in 86 Posts

You really have to be diligent. I check myself after every outing of playing disc golf. A week ago, I had played and came home and removed my jeans and t-shirt and checked myself thoroughly and took a shower. Next morning I get up and put the same jeans on and sit down to watch news on TV and have some coffee. Pretty soon I feel something crawling on me, and it's a darn tick that had evidently remained on my clothing overnight. They are persistent little suckers.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 66
Niced 76 Times in 41 Posts

From someone "in the know":
1) as aforementioned, one does not need chemicals if you do a thorough tick check.
2) Finding a new tick after coming home and subsequently removing it mitigates any risk of transmission. You have about 24-48 hours to accomplish a state of freedom from ticks to knock out the Lyme possibility
3) if you discover an embedded tick and you do not know when it attached and you are in an endemic area, go to your primary care physician and request "post exposure prophylaxis". This entails one capsule of doxycycline. Please take it at least 2 hours away from a meal
4) the typical rash is a "bullseye", although you can also get a complete circle. This is localized Lyme and a couple weeks of doxycycline should do the trick
5) if you didn't notice the rash, you are at risk for systemic Lyme, which occurs weeks later. Arthritis is common. However it can also affect your heart's conduction system and give a slow heart rate. It can also invade your facial nerve and cause bell's palsy, which is reversible
6) there is no such thing as chronic Lyme. Please disregard the garbage health forums out there on the topic.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 610 Times in 257 Posts

I did not have a rash until after I was already pretty sick. It took about 6-7 weeks to incubate, and I did get pretty severe arthritis from it. No heart problems so far, no facial paralysis, I'm taking prednisone for inflammation and doxycycline for the infection. I seem to be doing much better and should recover completely.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:42 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 112 Times in 68 Posts

Great PSA. I always tell everyone I play with at the end of the round to check for ticks. It sounds dorky but so many people I know have had Lyme or other horrible tick born illnesses. I would recommend permethrin to treat your pants, shoes, socks, and even your bag. You can't put it right on your skin and you have to treat these items and let it dry, so a bit of planning. It lasts through 6 wash cycles of the stuff is very good. I am out all the time and have not had a tick on me at all this year. Last year with only DEET I picked off at least a dozen just in one week. I would also recommend a tick twister. http://www.ticktwister.com. They sell them on Amazon. They take the tick off with the pulling of tweezers that can leave parts of the mouth in, especially if it has attached. And really the best thing is having someone tick check your body. That is by far the most effective. Yes, we are going back to our ape ancestors but Lyme disease sucks.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 81 Times in 18 Posts

Just saw this article - http://www.fox5ny.com/news/local-news/275547414-story

Never heard of Babesiosis, but apparently it can kill you and it's transmitted through ticks. I looked up the man's name on the PDGA member search and there is a match. PDGA has him located in Pittsburg (as of 2013) and the story says Connecticut so there may be no connection.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 70
Niced 148 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d11rok View Post
From someone "in the know":
1) as aforementioned, one does not need chemicals if you do a thorough tick check.
Unless you're a hairless man-child with a room full of mirrors, I think this advice is faulty. You can barely see a small deer tick even when it's in plain sight on your arm, let alone your bunghole.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend deet to anybody. It's very effective at keeping ticks away, it's also nasty. Permethrin treated clothes and picaridin on exposed skin seems like the safest and most effective alternative to deet (unless you have cats).

Quote:
5) if you didn't notice the rash, you are at risk for systemic Lyme, which occurs weeks later. Arthritis is common. However it can also affect your heart's conduction system and give a slow heart rate. It can also invade your facial nerve and cause bell's palsy, which is reversible
lots of people don't get the rash.

Quote:
6) there is no such thing as chronic Lyme. Please disregard the garbage health forums out there on the topic.
Agreed, spread the word. So many quack docs are profiting off of this. I have several friends receiving "chronic" lyme treatment, and they are spending tons of money for no results. It's terrible to watch.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 45
Niced 611 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
Agreed, spread the word. So many quack docs are profiting off of this. I have several friends receiving "chronic" lyme treatment, and they are spending tons of money for no results. It's terrible to watch.
So what is going on with John E McCray? It has been reported that he is dealing with a "flare up" of lyme disease but I thought he was treated and recovered several years ago.