Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Minimal Molds, Different stages of wear question

Was looking at Toothys bag, and was going to post in his bag thread, but Im not looking to pick on him or anybody really, Im just curious. (I carry very few molds and at most would carry just a back up, which inheritantly would probably be less beat but not on purpose)

Looking at Toothys bag the other day got me thinking; an I probably shouldnt do that but, he carrys just a handfull of molds but multiples of that mold, and I understand having the back up but I after thinking about it, I get the different stages of wear as made popular by Rocs, and how the disc will fly differently, but to me, that would get even more confusing.

For example. Say I am looking for my fairway driver. Minimalist part I understand so in Toothys bag, I want the Gazelle, nothing else to think about and in my bag, I would be done with disc selection and all I would do is think about my line shaping, but in a bag like Toothys, with various stages of wear, I still have 5 discs to consider and all 5 with just a slight difference.

How do you pick the right disc, then using all those in different stages, how sure are you of the line its going to hit? Its the same mold, so they feel the same but fly differently the way a different disc would.

Im just curious because with the way I use the one disc, I figure out how far I want to go and if I need a hyzer (If its a hyzer Im reaching pred almost regardless of distance), and grab just the 1 disc everytime. This causes me to have very little thought and that 1 disc gets thrown a lot so its almost no thought on how much hyzer or anny to put on it, I can just feel it.

Im simplifying other factors that come into the decision making but what I am getting at is trying to understand the wide selection even though its very few molds when one of my favorite parts about being minimalistic is I just grab the disc and count on myself to make a very familiar disc work.

That make sense?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

They may have the same name, but they have different flight characteristics. And some are different plastic which makes them act totally different anyway.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 52 Times in 22 Posts

It's actually quite easy. By the time you have several discs of the same mold in various stages of wear you have a really good idea of how the disc will fly. You then judge how much turn and fade you need, pick the level of wear that you want to acheive that and throw it. If you're off by one level of wear you'll only be off by 10'-20'. If you pick the wrong mold altogether, you'll probably be off by at least 30', many times more. Really this line here:

Quote:
Its the same mold, so they feel the same but fly differently the way a different disc would.
Is an incorrect, but really common assumption.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

I guess that makes sense, but I still dont think I would want to have to make that decision.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

I think the real advantage is your hand getting used to gripping only 4 or 5 molds instead of 15. Consistency leads to muscle memory leads to accuracy.

But you're worried about choosing the wrong wear stage by mistake? Accidentally grabbing the overstable instead of understable?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
I think the real advantage is your hand getting used to gripping only 4 or 5 molds instead of 15. Consistency leads to muscle memory leads to accuracy.

But you're worried about choosing the wrong wear stage by mistake? Accidentally grabbing the overstable instead of understable?
Yes, simply put.

Would rather just grab the same disc I used on the last hole, which; unless I really clobbered a tree, is going to be almost the exact stage of wear it was then.

I guess I dont see the stages of wear being precise since there would be so many variables in how it gets beat in. Did it hit a lot of trees and warp or have a lot of nicks? Where are those nicks? Or did it simply loose some of its bead? How beat does it have to be to not need any anny? How new does it need to be to have more stability?

If I stick to one, I have it all figured out after the 1st couple of throws.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 10
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via MSN to valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Yes, simply put.

Would rather just grab the same disc I used on the last hole, which; unless I really clobbered a tree, is going to be almost the exact stage of wear it was then.

I guess I dont see the stages of wear being precise since there would be so many variables in how it gets beat in. Did it hit a lot of trees and warp or have a lot of nicks? Where are those nicks? Or did it simply loose some of its bead? How beat does it have to be to not need any anny? How new does it need to be to have more stability?

If I stick to one, I have it all figured out after the 1st couple of throws.
Well, right now my go to driver is my 167 Champ 11x Teebird, it flies almsot perfectly straight, ive used it heavily for about a year or so, theres no big cuts or anything, its just gotten beaten in nicely. Also, i have a new 168 Champ 11x Teebird, i threw it one time yetserday and it faded conciderably more at the end, some people might find this good, some people might find it bad. If you get to like your discs as they beat in, you won't need to keep replacing discs 2 months after you get them

Last edited by valkyrie; 05-05-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

It took a me a few rounds to get used to, certainly. But I find that it allows for a more reliable shot. If I had three separate molds with three different stabilities, as each of them beats up, I have to adjust my throw to compensate.

For example, if I bought an understable midrange for turnover shots, and then hit a couple trees with it, it's going to flip over even more, and then I've got to go out and buy a new disc to get back to the original flight characteristics. Where as with a really beat up Roc, a couple tree smacks isn't going to change its flight, because it's already beat up. And if I beat up my new Roc, it takes the place of my slightly beat up Roc, which by that time has beat up more, and then replaces the next most beat up, etc. I just go buy a new one for $6 every couple weeks, and I always have an overstable Roc. So there's a constant stability conga-line moving through my bag.

Also, I've simply never found a new disc that can flip as reliably as one that's beat up.

Plus, Ken Climo does it. And that makes it right...
Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRaph View Post

Plus, Ken Climo does it. And that makes it right...
Ell, I cant argue with that.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

I think if you're the one throwing the discs to break them in, you'll learn their characteristics naturally.

Kinda like driving your own car. You know the pressure to use on the brake and gas pedals. But when your buddy drives your car the first time, he's giving it too much gas and is heavy on the brakes.