Old 04-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 138
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Par and different Layouts

An open question to anyone, but mainly admin: TIMG

One of the local courses here in AZ, Vista Del Camino (the site of the Memorial) has several pin positions for each hole, all marked on the map for that hole mounted next to the tee, (as baskets A, B, C, and so forth), with the distance for each one. However, they will only have one basket per hole, and just move them around weekly, so each time you are there, you would essentially be playing a different combo of reds, white, and blues, for different layouts.

However, I thought about what they do in ball golf. They regularly move the hole around the green, but at most courses, the yardage is painted on the tee sign in a permanent manner, so technically, that cant stay accurate either, but its good enough for ball golfers.

So, this all being said, how would you handle recording the length of each hole. Do I do a range for the different positions, (284-296ft) or just go with the most popular pin placement?? Or just write down which one each happens to be at the next time I'm there and roll with it???

I want to post specific AZ course info (like hole lengths) to the site before I move up North for good, but am a little puzzled. What is the best way to handle????
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 257
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 907 Times in 298 Posts

Well, the site lets you record up to 3 pin positions per hole per tee and you can pick whichever one is currently active. So unless I'm misunderstanding your question, I think think that should work for inputting the lengths at the courses you mentioned. If a course has more than 3 pin positions I guess I would just omit anything above that number. Three seems to work for a majority of courses out there while keeping the hole update/info pages reasonable.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 254
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texconsinite View Post
One of the local courses here in AZ, Vista Del Camino (the site of the Memorial) has several pin positions for each hole, all marked on the map for that hole mounted next to the tee, (as baskets A, B, C, and so forth), with the distance for each one. However, they will only have one basket per hole, and just move them around weekly, so each time you are there, you would essentially be playing a different combo of reds, white, and blues, for different layouts.

So, this all being said, how would you handle recording the length of each hole. Do I do a range for the different positions, (284-296ft) or just go with the most popular pin placement?? Or just write down which one each happens to be at the next time I'm there and roll with it???
While courses like Vista Del Camino (aka "Shelly Sharpe") with their rotating basket positions are great for play variety, they're a pain to accurately represent in a course directory.

I'd previously posted a picture of the first tee sign showing the six basket postions in that courses photo gallery:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/galler...d=920&mode=gal

Complicating the matter for Vista Del Camino is the fact that not all holes have the same number of basket position. Some have four, some have six. On top of that, while hole #1 might be in 'A' position, #2 might be in 'C', #3 in 'E', etc. That can produce an exorbitant number of course layout permutations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
Well, the site lets you record up to 3 pin positions per hole per tee and you can pick whichever one is currently active.
Even if DGCR allowed six pin positions ther's no guarantee that all the baskets are in the 'A' position (or 'B', etc.) at the same time. So keeping up with the currently active postion of each individual basket would be an unreasonable task for anyone other than the people actually moving the baskets.

This type of course also makes it difficult for players to accurately enter scores into the DGCR scorebook. To be correct you'd need a set of holes with the pin assignments as they were when you played. If you're entering your score a week later and the current pin assignments had been updated you've got the wrong distances.

Perhaps the best way to represent this course given the constraints of DGCR is to use all four sets of tee assignments for 'A', 'B', 'C', and 'D' pin positions and document that in the "Course Description" field of the Info page. If you wanted you could enter 'E' and 'F' pin distances as alternate pin locations under the 'D' set of tees. At least this way all the information is there for people.

My $0.02,
ERic
Old 04-29-2008, 07:20 PM
*Administrator*

Wow.. that course sounds absurdly complex. I guess that would be a good system if that was the only course in town but it seems that even locals could get confused playing it.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Vista Del Camino

Quote:
Wow.. that course sounds absurdly complex. I guess that would be a good system if that was the only course in town but it seems that even locals could get confused playing it.
I played it twice while I was out there for a racquetball tournament back in February. IIRC there weren't any blind holes so it's really not too confusing under normal circumstances since you can always see the basket at which you're throwing.

However... when I was there they were doing some course alterations to get ready for The Memorial and there were a few extra baskets out on the course for the long holes they set up for the tournament. Never having played there before, now that was confusing.

ERic
Old 04-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 137
Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

Gordon Barnett park in Orlando has multiple tees (3 I believe ) and hole locations with different pars for some of them. When I played there it was very difficult to decide which combo we were playing.I really prefer that the hole location not change because if you do not play a course often you can think you know where the hole is and then find out after your tee shot that it is in a different place. Multiple tees are great and do not cause the same confusion. At least that's my opinion.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:29 PM
*Administrator*

I've thrown a tee shot and realized upon walking up to it that the basket was in a different spot quite a few times. There was one course I played in PA that had a metal slider on the tee sign and you could indicate the current position of the basket. That was pretty handy assuming people actually updated the slider.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
I played in PA that had a metal slider on the tee sign and you could indicate the current position of the basket. That was pretty handy assuming people actually updated the slider.
That does sound like a good idea, as long as no one maliciously messed with it.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 137
Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1
Default par 3 vs listed par

I was just looking at The Rez in Brandon,Ms (which I have played) and the par is listed as 67 for 18 holes. Ther are 2 recorded rounds for the course of 67 and 69 which would be even and +2 however they were listed as if par were 54 (3 on each hole) so they show up as +13 and +15. Yet another example of what we face in the "what is par" debate. The good news is that a 67 is always a 67 no matter it's relation to par.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 PM
*Administrator*

The reason they're listed as +13 and +15 is that the guy entered his own par for each hole (3) rather than than choosing which par he played from the drop down which would have filled in the proper pars for each hole.