Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 PM
McHater

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tournament payouts

After playing in a tournament this weekend and beating out 90% of an 80 player field, I did not even double my entrance fee. To say the least I was fairly disappointed. I did a little math and close to a 1/4 of the buy-in was already lost in fee's and taxes. I think disc golf needs a new approach to the return of investment for the players.

I understand no one is in the sport to get rich, but it would be nice if less fee's and taxes were involved. Maybe private "A-tier" tournaments is the way to go
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyArms View Post
After playing in a tournament this weekend and beating out 90% of an 80 player field, I did not even double my entrance fee. To say the least I was fairly disappointed. I did a little math and close to a 1/4 of the buy-in was already lost in fee's and taxes. I think disc golf needs a new approach to the return of investment for the players.

I understand no one is in the sport to get rich, but it would be nice if less fee's and taxes were involved. Maybe private "A-tier" tournaments is the way to go
Payout is a return on investment for some players but not all. If you really want to focus on return on investment, players packs is the way to do it.

Don't think of it as a buy-in. It's an entrance fee to cover the costs of running a tournament (which includes the prizes, which often come in the form of payouts).
Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

The OP is exactly part of the problem and this "sense of entitlement" we often discuss here. OP seems to place no value on the actual golf that they got to play or the services of the TD and tournament staff in creating an event for the OP to play in. Instead its about how much more money they deserved for their "win".

I like winning money too, but if you are looking for a "return on investment" you are in the wrong sport. LOL.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 15
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

top 8 in a 80 person field! that seems really low.

i thought most people liked the flat payout but doesn't pdga have a spreadsheet.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.7
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 199 Times in 113 Posts

It all depends on associated costs. Some areas are able to run really low cost tourneys with juicy payouts, others arent. No big deal. Just win the next one!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 169
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

If you want the payout to improve. Contact the TD and volunteer to help drum up sponsorship for the event. Playing for each other's entry fees rarely gives good payouts after all the necessary costs of running an event are taken out.

I've run dozens of sanctioned events, including a few A-Tiers. Player's often times don't know all the costs that go into making an event happen. It's not their fault as players, they just don't know. If you are unhappy with something, grow a pair of balls and respectfully ask the TD directly what the situation is. Chances are he/she is working their butts off for little or no compensation, while you are getting paid to throw frisbees.

More sponsors=More payout. You want more money, help your TD get more sponsors.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino View Post
top 8 in a 80 person field! that seems really low.

i thought most people liked the flat payout but doesn't pdga have a spreadsheet.
The PDGA does have a spreadsheet, however following it is not required. What *is* required is the range of depth of field payed out to (e.g. 45%), and the amount of net entry fees (gross entry cost minus per-player PDGA fees and other fees) that must go to payouts (based on the tier of the event, e.g. 85% for a C-tier, 100% for a B-tier, etc.).

Theoretically, you could design an event where first place got the vast majority of the total payout for the division.. you'd probably just want to make sure all players understood your payout scheme in advance of the event, though, to avoid complaints.

To me, it sounds like any/all of the following were the case: A). the cost of the event for that division was very low, B). the fees charged to rent the course/property were very high, or C). players packs and/or trophies were very expensive (at retail value).
Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts

So 7 people beat you and you want double your money back?

Old 09-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 100
Niced 74 Times in 33 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber View Post
The OP is exactly part of the problem and this "sense of entitlement" we often discuss here. OP seems to place no value on the actual golf that they got to play or the services of the TD and tournament staff in creating an event for the OP to play in. Instead its about how much more money they deserved for their "win".

I like winning money too, but if you are looking for a "return on investment" you are in the wrong sport. LOL.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSurmann View Post
So 7 people beat you and you want double your money back?

see what I mean?