Old 12-29-2017, 12:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,408 Times in 425 Posts

In my experience, it's usually newer players who've jumped headlong into the sport. I try to remember that I was certainly guilty of proselytizing and aggressively evangelizing what I liked. When you're new, you're improving rapidly, every disc is a new experience, you are in that puppy love stage with the sport, and you just want to tell the world. I'm sure there's posts of mine from 2010-11 that would be either laugh- or cringe-worthy.

Most people grow out of it, and it's easily forgivable. The fact that the sport creates such excitement is a great thing, even if the excitement is slightly misguided at first. The problematic people are the ones who don't evolve to see the bigger picture. The discs don't become that important until you can effectively minimize operator error.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2017, 01:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 99 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If you consider the lineups of the major manufacturers to be comparable, and the differences between, say, overstable midranges, negligible---or, at least, less important than inconsistencies in your own game---you might decide that that a mixed bag isn't going to shave a whole lot of strokes off your game.

If you're not turned on by the thrill of new discs, or interested in buying out and trying hundreds of different models in their variations of weights and plastics, you might decide that it's simpler to stick with one manufacturer.

Not because that manufacturer is better---just because they're good enough to suit you. It certainly eases your selection in the store, or tournament bins, or online.

"Limiting yourself" might be another phrase for "simplifying".

It's not better or worse.....just what suits those people.
Also another phrase for "saving money". That's kinda how I treat video games. I'm very picky with what I like to play, so I don't end up spending too much money on it.

If I only stuck to one brand, I wouldn't have nearly as many random disc purchases.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-29-2017, 01:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 967 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
Also another phrase for "saving money". That's kinda how I treat video games. I'm very picky with what I like to play, so I don't end up spending too much money on it.

If I only stuck to one brand, I wouldn't have nearly as many random disc purchases.

Do anyone stick to just one brand of video games? I am not a gamer, so I am entirely ignorant of this, but it would seem unlikely to me.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 120
Niced 99 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
Do anyone stick to just one brand of video games? I am not a gamer, so I am entirely ignorant of this, but it would seem unlikely to me.
Well, maybe not the best analogy on my part. I don't stick to one brand, but am picky in general in what games I do play. Just saying, being picky and limiting oneself can be cheap.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-29-2017, 06:01 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,259 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishDiscman View Post
Playground stuff! makes you wonder if we left the 8th grade yet?

Thats just stupid, getting crap for a 170g piece of plastic because of mould or name!

If it was the "Hey noob" ribbing that would be ok, but its like the cult like behaviour that really narks me off. I am only about 2 years in and have seen such positives from folks in the DG community but like everything else we have our share of numpties! (The only thing that came close is when I was finishing up playing rugby and Under Armor were making quite a few products that Canterbury used to only make and were making them cheaper, I got crap for looking after my wallet instead of going with the "rugby company")

Basically I am not shaped like most disc golf players, I am an ex athlete who let himself go and is super overweight now, so I don't usually take advice from folks who have different form than I do and care more about mechanics and learning the plastic that I have rather than getting 5 strokes off by flinging the plastic of whatever guy is trying to tell me this has revamped his game.
My Impact are around 170 grams, one is 172-173 and the other is an Ace Race from 2007 at 172 grams. I like the newer one better, tiny dome an it glides just a bit more then the old flat top Ace Race model.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 967 Times in 471 Posts

Casey, you kill me! I am convinced that you are operating in a special astral plane. So, I've been reading through your stuff, and as a result I am feeling pretty zen right now.

My mantra: There is no spoon

Old 12-30-2017, 02:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Niced 811 Times in 431 Posts

Seconded
Old 12-30-2017, 09:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 58
Niced 263 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The pro in my state is using Latitude 64 and side brands, as is a pro person from my state now living in Minnesota with Dynamic Discs ad then side brands. So if you are not using Trilogy or Innova, local sports store sells those, in my area you are getting snubbed. I use Discraft/Innova and those from out of state do not mind me using Discraft but the born in state players seem to go with Trilogy set or Innova and snub players with other discs. They will except me barely due to the fact I was with the group that helped with the design of a Disc golf course, the in town one and the back 9-17, 18 was already old 9 on the out of town course. Local courses are Steamboat, and Powerhouse Ally.
If anyone talks any smack about what discs you are throwing, just tell them not to worry, that your machete/sling blade IS a name brand.... and you named it Carl.

Last edited by NDABRUSH; 12-30-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 5
Niced 10 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAnhyzer View Post
No because crossing fairways are bad
Is that not how that one lady won $2million from Manhattan Beach?

Old 12-30-2017, 02:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,408 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishDiscman View Post
Is that not how that one lady won $2million from Manhattan Beach?
I don't know if the fairways were crossing there or not, but it was a blind shot over a small rise, and the player threw a high speed driver on a very short hole. I think Poliwog Park was the name of that (now defunct) course.

IIRC that's more of a condemnation of people designing courses who unfortunately don't know what they're doing.

Niced: (1)