Old 10-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 27.6
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,227 Times in 509 Posts

What I find interesting is one of the consistent complaints of the PDGA is not caring about pros enough, not caring about standards enough and not caring about professionalism.

Yet this move directly is made to address those reasons and people seem to be against it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,766 Times in 2,976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I think the touring pros who choose to live this life would get more support if they did more of the volunteer work so they can make more money instead of relying on the backs of sub-900 volunteers who get nothing for their hard work.
I'm sure there are plenty of touring pros who would take offense to this remark... Tell me how you know this is true and not something you just pulled out of your ass?
Old 10-17-2019, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,209 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
What I find interesting is one of the consistent complaints of the PDGA is not caring about pros enough, not caring about standards enough and not caring about professionalism.

Yet this move directly is made to address those reasons and people seem to be against it.
Strange- I see way more people complaining about the PDGA catering to pros too much.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of touring pros who would take offense to this remark... Tell me how you know this is true and not something you just pulled out of your ass?
That they choose to live this life? I see them on tour...
Old 10-17-2019, 11:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
That they choose to live this life? I see them on tour...
I was referring to you saying that they don't do any or not enough volunteer work. How exactly do you know that? Do you follow every touring pro around to see what they are doing with their spare time?

I didn't think so.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I was referring to you saying that they don't do any or not enough volunteer work. How exactly do you know that? Do you follow every touring pro around to see what they are doing with their spare time?

I didn't think so.
Do you follow everyone around to see what they're not doing?

I didn't think so...or maybe you do, you seem to have plenty of time for that.

We can't even get local pros to help out.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,144 Times in 520 Posts

It's funny, cause I am on the same side as Nate with the 900 rated rule. BUT... I am with a lot of the other people here in saying that we don't need to give the pros any additional preferential treatment or sympathy, specifically when it comes to registration.

They have weeks to sign up for events exclusively. If they can't afford to pay for events, then they are not capable financially and should maybe think about a different career, or an ADDITIONAL job. Most have vehicles and could drive Uber at night or during the day. Or maybe they should work with their sponsor on timing their bonuses in Jan or Feb so they can pre-pay for all the events. There are so many solutions.

I respect all of them for going out and trying something exciting and fun. But, so very few of them treat this like a real job. They are NOT out there working on their craft for 4 hours a day. They are NOT in the gym regularly. Most travel and practice specific courses that they need to play.

It sure would be nice if they were all making 6 figures like Simon, Eagle, Paul, Ricky, & Nate. But that isn't the world that we live in. Everyone makes sacrifices. Man, I would love a Tesla and a bigger home. But I choose my lifestyle so that I am NOT living paycheck to paycheck. Sorry, but my sympathy tank is dry for them when it comes to their personal finances.

And to be fair. I think Nate agrees with a lot of this... but being a board member probably can't give us an unfiltered take. And I completely understand.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 27.6
Courses Played: 143
Niced 1,227 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post

They have weeks to sign up for events exclusively. If they can't afford to pay for events, then they are not capable financially and should maybe think about a different career, or an ADDITIONAL job. Most have vehicles and could drive Uber at night or during the day. Or maybe they should work with their sponsor on timing their bonuses in Jan or Feb so they can pre-pay for all the events. There are so many solutions.
While I get what you are saying, you can only drive Uber in the state your car is registered in.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Do you follow everyone around to see what they're not doing?

I didn't think so...or maybe you do, you seem to have plenty of time for that.

We can't even get local pros to help out.
You are so full of it. Go tell Adam Jones, Tony Vincent and Pete Caldwell that they don't do volunteer work. Or Lefty Drew, or Dave Cox, who I was working at Osage with.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:16 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 55 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
There are a lot of things being posted that aren't really being stated properly. This is honestly the main reason I stopped reading DGCR but I decided to come back and give it a chance again.
Definitely appreciate everyone's feedback and passion!
Nate, I appreciate that you come on here to read and post. I don't always agree with you, or anyone else on here (I don't even agree with myself all the time!), but it's nice to have your perspective, whether speaking as a PDGA board member, TD, or pro disc golfer. I hope everyone on DGCR recognizes what a nice community we have here, from those with official PDGA administrative roles (board members, state coordinators, committee members and consultants) to TDs, touring and local pros, course designers, private course owners, local club directors, disc golf media, and all levels of amateur golfers, whether PDGA members or not. Let's keep it going.