Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 04-30-2020, 11:59 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 306 Times in 195 Posts

I’ve found footwork and the angle you walk up on the tee pad helps setup for a better release angle.

For big annys (RHBH) I offset myself almost 45 degrees to the back right of the teepad and slowly work myself towards the centre at release (really allowing myself to uncurl my body / energy on that turnover angle)

For big flippy hyzerflips it’s basically mirroring your body in the opposite direction (release left of your target trusting the disc to turn and hold to the right).

Watching footage of pros trying to hit wooded tunnel gaps has really opened my eyes on how your position of the body and where you end up releasing on the tee pad really matters.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-01-2020, 03:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,060 Times in 802 Posts

Another quick observation after throwing yesterday.... we had our first warm-hot day of the year. 80+ degrees and slightly humid. I noticed the air felt a little heavy. The discs seemed to be floating better than usual, with more high speed turn. I also felt like I was able to grip the disc better than usual. Generally its pretty dry in CO, and getting a solid grip on a high speed driver isn't easy.

I was smashing yesterday. I still didn't throw anything 500', but I cleared 450' a bunch of times with a few understable discs. That last 50' is going to be hard to achieve. I'm to the point I can do 450' when I'm warmed up, but 500' is still out of reach. If weather conditions aren't optimal I'll probably top out at just over 400'. Some days you simply don't have it.

I guess my point is, atmospheric conditions (temperature, humidity, wind) can play a huge factor in how far you're able to throw. I figure 50' or more. Some of that is related to the air itself, and some of it is feeling warm/loose and getting a good grip on the disc when you throw. There are certain days in CO when I feel like I'm absolutely SMASHING and the discs simply don't want to glide or go anywhere. I absolutely throw further when its warm out rather than cold.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,437 Times in 2,695 Posts

Yep. Hot and humid air feels thick or heavy, but is actually less dense air so the disc travels faster. Muscles are also warmer and probably wearing less restrictive clothing.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:47 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I guess I'm not really surprised he threw Katanas for most of the shots. Those things are super long. I'm a little surprised more pros don't bag a Katana for sheer open power.

He showed me his blue katana at dglo and it had the most insane dome. You could eat cereal out of it
Old 05-03-2020, 02:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by axion View Post
He showed me his blue katana at dglo and it had the most insane dome. You could eat cereal out of it
Domey Katanas might be the purest distance driver I've ever thrown. They can handle power well, and are super long.

I've never found any use for flat Katanas. I hate the way they (don't) fly.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 76
Niced 176 Times in 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axion View Post
Those are the best katanas! They crush
Old 05-13-2020, 07:52 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 519 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
Another quick observation after throwing yesterday.... we had our first warm-hot day of the year. 80+ degrees and slightly humid. I noticed the air felt a little heavy. The discs seemed to be floating better than usual, with more high speed turn. I also felt like I was able to grip the disc better than usual. Generally its pretty dry in CO, and getting a solid grip on a high speed driver isn't easy.

I was smashing yesterday. I still didn't throw anything 500', but I cleared 450' a bunch of times with a few understable discs. That last 50' is going to be hard to achieve. I'm to the point I can do 450' when I'm warmed up, but 500' is still out of reach. If weather conditions aren't optimal I'll probably top out at just over 400'. Some days you simply don't have it.

I guess my point is, atmospheric conditions (temperature, humidity, wind) can play a huge factor in how far you're able to throw. I figure 50' or more. Some of that is related to the air itself, and some of it is feeling warm/loose and getting a good grip on the disc when you throw. There are certain days in CO when I feel like I'm absolutely SMASHING and the discs simply don't want to glide or go anywhere. I absolutely throw further when its warm out rather than cold.
I'm in your camp I think. I can throw very accurate 425 foot golf lines on a pretty narrow flight path. For 450, I have to try pretty hard and incorporate a faster run up, which I don't really do a lot during rounds unless that 25 feet is getting me on a green, but in a field and on open courses with minimal OB risk I can hit 450+ consistently. To get past that threshold I have to throw US stuff on hyzer release high to the left, get the perfect angle, then that long right fade. I almost never have that shot on the course and do very little field work, so it's not a shot I really practice.

I'm with you on that last 50 feet being another ball game. It's kind of crazy how a 450 foot drive can come out looking pretty good, but a dime a dozen these days, but when you watch someone throw 500 it's like a rocket out of the hand. That's my experience anyway. That 50 feet is just on a whole other level of power.

I'm no form expert, but if I do get to 500, I want it on a golf line like many of the top pros have (who of course can throw 600+ on the high silly lines). There is more than likely a ton of small improvements I would need to make that all amount to timing and a stronger hit. There is no secret bullet. I'm getting into my mid 30s now and I keep getting fatter and slower, so for me, it's more than likely downhill from here. You sound more optimistic and driven, so my recommendation is film yourself, slow it down, compare to big arms on Youtube, and watch Sidewinder videos. I have faith you will get to that 500 mark.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
I'm in your camp I think. I can throw very accurate 425 foot golf lines on a pretty narrow flight path. For 450, I have to try pretty hard and incorporate a faster run up, which I don't really do a lot during rounds unless that 25 feet is getting me on a green, but in a field and on open courses with minimal OB risk I can hit 450+ consistently. To get past that threshold I have to throw US stuff on hyzer release high to the left, get the perfect angle, then that long right fade. I almost never have that shot on the course and do very little field work, so it's not a shot I really practice.

I'm with you on that last 50 feet being another ball game. It's kind of crazy how a 450 foot drive can come out looking pretty good, but a dime a dozen these days, but when you watch someone throw 500 it's like a rocket out of the hand. That's my experience anyway. That 50 feet is just on a whole other level of power.

I'm no form expert, but if I do get to 500, I want it on a golf line like many of the top pros have (who of course can throw 600+ on the high silly lines). There is more than likely a ton of small improvements I would need to make that all amount to timing and a stronger hit. There is no secret bullet. I'm getting into my mid 30s now and I keep getting fatter and slower, so for me, it's more than likely downhill from here. You sound more optimistic and driven, so my recommendation is film yourself, slow it down, compare to big arms on Youtube, and watch Sidewinder videos. I have faith you will get to that 500 mark.

I agree. Right now I'm literally parked at 450'. Every once in a while I'll throw a disc 20' further, but not consistently. If I'm having an off day or the weather isn't favorable I'll max out more like 420'. I have to be warmed up to hit 450'.

All my longest throws lately have been with mid-stability, fast drivers. Stuff like Ballistas, Shrykes, Terns, and Katanas. I need a disc that can handle a pretty big rip and turn without flipping wildly over. For max power I generally try to throw high, anny, and release left of the target. I want the disc to get an exaggerated turn and work right for a while. I also need the flex and late fade. I don't want a disc that's so understable it goes right the whole flight.

I feel like I have the capability to start hitting 500'. I see glimpses here and there of power I never had before. The 2 things keeping me from doing it are (lack of) consistent releases and height control. I tend to throw a lot of drives too low. They'll still go far, but not what I'm looking for. Then I overcompensate and throw too high and the disc stalls. That said, all my very longest shots are somewhat high.

I also feel like a lot of my releases aren't crisp. Like the disc is coming out a little early and nose up. I'm not feeling a great snap on every throw.

Last edited by Twmccoy; 05-13-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 76
Niced 176 Times in 130 Posts

Quote:
I tend to throw a lot of drives too low. They'll still go far, but not what I'm looking for. Then I overcompensate and throw too high and the disc stalls. That said, all my very longest shots are somewhat high.
The higher you can throw and still get the disc turning for most of the flight and moving forward the entire flight, the further it will go. I know when I use to throw for distance often most shots would turn the whole flight and be 20 feet shorter than ones that had a fading finish. When I could get the carry right for most of the flight and the finish be fading but not really move left much, those were the furthest every time.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
The higher you can throw and still get the disc turning for most of the flight and moving forward the entire flight, the further it will go. I know when I use to throw for distance often most shots would turn the whole flight and be 20 feet shorter than ones that had a fading finish. When I could get the carry right for most of the flight and the finish be fading but not really move left much, those were the furthest every time.
I know. Finding that perfect line for max distance can be hard. Most of my throws end up a little too low to get maximum flex. Then I'll end up throwing the next one too high and stalling it out.

You also have to put a lot of anny on a high throw. If you fail to to so the disc pans out really weakly, stalls, and falls to the ground like a rock.

I'm gonna do some throwing today and try to work on getting the discs at a consistent height to produce max distance.