Old 06-08-2020, 06:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 338
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 678 Times in 322 Posts

i'm with Horsman, anything to get further to the right. even if you end up way shorter it's worth it if you can have eyes on the green through the gap.

that's a fun course
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2020, 06:24 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 520 Times in 287 Posts

When in doubt, throw a roller.

Seriously, I have resorted to trying rollers on holes I struggle with dealing with through the air.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 570 Times in 314 Posts
Default Need help with this hole before my tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
i'm with Horsman, anything to get further to the right. even if you end up way shorter it's worth it if you can have eyes on the green through the gap.

that's a fun course

Yeah Cat Hollow is a blast. This hole and hole #1 give me the most problems.

Problem is I think I need to be longer and right, not just further right. Iím going to play around with throwing some more understandable disc tomorrow, see if I end up with a better angle.

May just play this for a super safe 4 depending on how the tourney is going. Just putter short through the first gap, putter up to the second gap, upshot with my harp cause Iím pretty good at ranging that disc from under 100 feet to sit beside the basket, drop in for 4 (or miracle par if the harp finds the bottom of the basket). Or option C, everything goes perfect, harp skips off the top of the basket into the ravine, I canít find it, scramble for an 8, lose one of my favorite disc and walk home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2020, 09:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 338
Niced 678 Times in 322 Posts

sure, longer is better but not certain it's necessary. i don't know about you but i don't have a good FH so i'm probably playing a higher anhyzer over/to the right of the first gap (with something kinda stable so i don't go OB) or maybe straight down the gap with a slow turnover. i want to be able to see through the second gap from there so i can throw a putter straight through and hopefully hit just at or below the top of the hill. if i'm lucky, i'll slide right up on the green.

the first gap is probably 100'-120' (?) so if you get past there and on the right, that's about another 120'-150' (?) to the second gap. i would practice throwing that second shot from a place you think you can reach off the tee (on the right). straight putter 150'-175' and get a good stop on the green... that should be manageable.

good luck at the tourney!

Niced: (1)
Old 06-09-2020, 11:03 AM
Eagle Member

Went out this morning and I feel like I really dialed in this hole. Took some current pictures as well to give a better sense of what Iím working with.

Hereís the teepad:

Biggest danger on this hole is hitting that tree on the left of the first gap down the fairway and kicking left into the woods. Actually added my DX Cobra back to my bag for this shot. Found that I was pretty consistent with hitting the gap and finishing right with the Cobra on a rhbh.

Hereís where my drives were typically landing and this upshot to the island green is the reason I started this thread. What I discovered today is that I can actually hit that gap with a wizard/harp/stable dx roc on a flick anny and that shot shape glides right to the pin with no chance of skipping off the island because the stability of the disc is fighting to go away from the danger. Glad I figured this out...I think a lot of people step up to this shot and immediately think spike hyzer over the trees, but now the natural flight of your disc is going towards danger. The forehand anny just floats in and the misses are typically short or right, which as you can see, is way better than long or left.
Here are my upshots

Really glad I dialed this in, feel confident that I have three shots I can execute and bag a par on a hole that most of my division will probably struggle with.
Really fun figuring out some of these nuances.

One last thing - Most players who are trying to get better at disc golf are obsessed with throwing further, myself included. I spent 10 weeks this spring out in a field just throwing, filming my throws, working on form, trying to increase my distance. I can now throw a dx eagle 330 and a star valk 350 - still have a long way to go, but I couldnít break 300 with any disc when I started form work. What Iíve discovered is that while the added distance is great, dialing in my approach/scramble game is actually saving more strokes than the extra 50 feet on my backhand is. In addition to this anny flick, Iíve learned a thumber roller with my putter, and a little tomahawk throw that lands upside down and slides towards the basket. Iíd encourage any player who is serious about better scores - keep up the form work, distance is great, but donít neglect the short game.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:33 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 260 Times in 140 Posts

yeah I'm throwing a Nova on hyzer through that lowest tree gap unless its windy.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Niced 382 Times in 239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
What Iíve discovered is that while the added distance is great, dialing in my approach/scramble game is actually saving more strokes than the extra 50 feet on my backhand is. In addition to this anny flick, Iíve learned a thumber roller with my putter, and a little tomahawk throw that lands upside down and slides towards the basket. Iíd encourage any player who is serious about better scores - keep up the form work, distance is great, but donít neglect the short game.
Well said!

The short rollers with a putter and little overhands also with the putter that land upside down are most useful tools of mine as well. They nicely solve the problems I would have headaches with otherwise.

And thanks for the update on your hole mastering progress.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:22 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 519 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
One last thing - Most players who are trying to get better at disc golf are obsessed with throwing further, myself included. I spent 10 weeks this spring out in a field just throwing, filming my throws, working on form, trying to increase my distance. I can now throw a dx eagle 330 and a star valk 350 - still have a long way to go, but I couldnít break 300 with any disc when I started form work. What Iíve discovered is that while the added distance is great, dialing in my approach/scramble game is actually saving more strokes than the extra 50 feet on my backhand is. In addition to this anny flick, Iíve learned a thumber roller with my putter, and a little tomahawk throw that lands upside down and slides towards the basket. Iíd encourage any player who is serious about better scores - keep up the form work, distance is great, but donít neglect the short game.

100%. When I played in AM divisions it was consistent up shots that separated me from the field and allowed me to win. Having that touch anny flick and scramble rollers game is key. Folks don't practice those shots enough, but most people can do it in their yard.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:42 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 182
Niced 1,090 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Iíd encourage any player who is serious about better scores - keep up the form work, distance is great, but donít neglect the short game.
Over the years as I have gotten into much better shape, my distance has gone from about 550 to now being about 450. In that time my rating has gone from about 970 to 1000. Distance is great but not always needed. I would never be able to compete on tour at the highest level but locally I can have a lot of fun.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:58 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
100%. When I played in AM divisions it was consistent up shots that separated me from the field and allowed me to win. Having that touch anny flick and scramble rollers game is key. Folks don't practice those shots enough, but most people can do it in their yard.

Yes! I practice fh and thumber putter rollers in my backyard all the time. Especially from awkward, off balance positions, one knee, etc. Iíve become very confident with them but one problem Iím now running into is just taking my medicine and pitching out. Especially with rollers, Iíve had quite a few where I see the roller line, execute the shot, then remember Iím not in my nice grassy backyard as I watch my roller bounce off a pebble I didnít see and roll directly across the fairway further into more rough lol.