Old 07-09-2020, 11:10 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 62
Niced 189 Times in 107 Posts

I think many are arguing over the letter of the rules, when clearly the spirit of the rule is being broken. Nikko isn't spending a lot of time judging the wind or marking his lie. Or waiting for distractions to clear up. We are simply straining at gnats, IMHO.

Thing is, if the violations are so blatant as some put forth, why aren't his cardmates ever calling it? Maybe if anyone here knows someone that has played with Nikko in a tournament, they could ask?

My hunch is its the same general reasons that no one seems to call falling putts. It is difficult for players to self-officiate each other. Everyone is busy mentally preparing for their shots, assessing their own lies, the wind, etc. Taking their own focus off themselves and onto someone else is probably very challenging.

There is also a camaraderie at the highest level of the sport (for the most part), and that probably makes it difficult. Again, its putting the players in a bad position. I know they are competing against each other, but I rarely see any sport where players applaud and high five their opponents' great shots like disc golf. And I wouldn't want to destroy that--its one of the great things about our sport.

So no answers here other than having roving officials doing their own timing and warning and watching for foot faults and falling putts, but its probably one of those things that needs to be taken out of the players' hands.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2020, 01:16 AM
Par Member

Niced 78 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post

Sand is a twisted ankle just waiting to happen. It shouldn't be that way. Cover up or remove the sand and make it a 'growth' rough (weeds/long grass/whatever)....but please, stop with the sand.
If that were true beaches would be littered with crippled people.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-10-2020, 02:19 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 519 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Landing 1 foot on one side or another of a rope is silly.
Why?

Niced: (2)
Old 07-10-2020, 08:39 AM
Size Queen

Niced 239 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
Why?
Because it's bringing in a large luck factor. I think that was what Simon was saying in that luck played little into the results at the Preserve. The person who played best won. Same thing with making baskets that don't cut through. You don't want to lose because the baskets are cutting through or bouncing out often.

Adding artificial OB just to raise the scores is silly. It's a poorly designed course if you have to rope everything off. Sorry Winthrop Gold, etc...
Old 07-10-2020, 08:48 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 393 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
If I am standing there thinking about cheesecake I am in fact distracted whether in the eyes of my cardmates or not.
"The playing area is clear and free of distractions."

your brain isn't the playing area, dude. if somebody tried to pull this excuse on me in a tournament, and forcefully argued it, I'd probably push to have them disqualified for cheating.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-10-2020, 08:54 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Niced 196 Times in 80 Posts

I'm not a fan of rope OB but one foot in a river or on safe ground is it about luck? To me it is about when to take risk and know where you really don't want to miss.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-10-2020, 10:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 255
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 116 Times in 41 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
I agree generally with Simon only that good shots were not screwed over like on some places. Landing 1 foot on one side or another of a rope is silly. Saying that bad shots were not punished ENOUGH on quite a few holes. You throw a poor shot and still have a easy birdie upshot? That's not punishing the poor shot. If you have 100 foot wide fairways you need to make the holes long. Not 665. That's an easy birdie hole for advanced players. Not at all challenging the top pro field.

Ideally most holes would fall between 20-40% birdie. Many holes were pushing 60%!
Couldn’t agree with oldmandiscer enough here. Did they even have any preliminary events on this course to test out the layout? I saw all the chatter about the course playing with a uncharacteristic lack of wind. But now, far more so than the course playing without a lack of scoring separation, the frustrating part is both players in the tournament and observers saying that the course punished poor shots. By any measure, it clearly didn’t. Simon had to delete his Instagram posts about it because he got 400+ replies basically telling him that such a line of thinking was delusional.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 155
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 721 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
Landing 1 foot on one side or another of a rope is silly
Landing 1 foot on one side or another of a rope is the EXACT same thing as landing 1 foot into a road, or landing 1 foot into a lake, or landing 1 foot across the property boundary. It's the players responsibility to know where the OB lines are and to strategically throw their shots so they won't land in an OB position.

The rest of your post is dead on, though.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:35 AM
Par Member

Niced 33 Times in 20 Posts

I missed basket by 1 feet on my C1 putt. It didn't count. Silly rules.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:33 PM
Size Queen

Niced 239 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Landing 1 foot on one side or another of a rope is the EXACT same thing as landing 1 foot into a road, or landing 1 foot into a lake, or landing 1 foot across the property boundary. It's the players responsibility to know where the OB lines are and to strategically throw their shots so they won't land in an OB position.

The rest of your post is dead on, though.
It's a crappy course though if they have to add artificial ropes to pretend like lakes and roads are everywhere.