Old 08-15-2020, 08:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,149 Times in 517 Posts

I got my first DX Roc a few days ago. I like it and look forward to wearing it in, but right now it's the Roc I throw when I don't want to lose one of my XT Rocs.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2020, 10:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I have (I think) 1 used and 1 new XT Roc I don't throw if you're interested.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 36
Niced 477 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I'm just a few months into starting to cycle these and I've learned that I should have started cycling 2 of them at once instead of just one.

Between my game and distances and courses I play, I just don't have a ton of use for a fresh stable DX. And the shots where I'd choose it aren't really going to beat it in much (wide open full shot approaches on par 4's). So I have to find ways to get some wear on it.

However, now that I've worn in my first disc and it has a little less fade and a little more distance, it is an absolute workhorse. There were a bunch of tee shots that I'd take a little power off an understable 6 or 7 speed to get it to fade left and now the Roc is perfect for that shot. There were a bunch of holes where I'd throw driver and sometimes have issues with a gap that might be 250-300 down the fairway. Now I can play positionally with a Roc.

So if this is my 2 or 3 slot, I'm going to beat it to 3 or 4 a LOT quicker than I'll be able to beat something from 1 to 2. So I guess the next step is to start beating 2 discs from 1 to 2.
Youre right its always good to have backups in the cycle, but the wear from 1 to 2 is much faster than the wear from 3 to 4. You knock the sharp edges off the disc, and they hit a sweet spot and stay there for a while. I have 3 slot Rocs that have kept that spot for years and years.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:13 PM

Years Playing: 4.6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 22 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
Youre right its always good to have backups in the cycle, but the wear from 1 to 2 is much faster than the wear from 3 to 4. You knock the sharp edges off the disc, and they hit a sweet spot and stay there for a while. I have 3 slot Rocs that have kept that spot for years and years.
I'd even say it's not hard to find new rocs that start off in the 2 slot and just stay there for a while. They mellow out from 2 to 3 but it really does take a long time for them to get truly understable.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 620 Times in 262 Posts

Well, shoot.

I grabbed a stock stamp 180g at the local store. I liked it, so then I ordered 2 bottom stamp 180g's from Infinite. I've got another one on the way.

The first disc started as a 1 for me. I worked and worked to beat it down to a 2 and it is a workhorse for me. I took the pair of bottom stamp discs out to a field to see if one was more stable than the other. I didn't throw them a ton because it was a rainy day, but they both seemed less stable than the beat in stock stamp disc.

Now I'm just confused.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:34 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,683 Times in 1,051 Posts

That can happen, but if you are like me you might overcompensate for poor grip or footing by subconsciously changing your release angle. Maybe try one more time when it’s dry to see if it changes at all?
Old 08-16-2020, 11:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5,262 Times in 2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
Well, shoot.

I grabbed a stock stamp 180g at the local store. I liked it, so then I ordered 2 bottom stamp 180g's from Infinite. I've got another one on the way.

The first disc started as a 1 for me. I worked and worked to beat it down to a 2 and it is a workhorse for me. I took the pair of bottom stamp discs out to a field to see if one was more stable than the other. I didn't throw them a ton because it was a rainy day, but they both seemed less stable than the beat in stock stamp disc.

Now I'm just confused.
What are the domes and stiffness of all of those? I'm betting the bottom stamps have milder domes that your first one.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-16-2020, 01:57 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
What are the domes and stiffness of all of those? I'm betting the bottom stamps have milder domes that your first one.
The bottom stamps appear a little more domed, but they also feel more shallow in my hand. The dome extends close to the rim on the stock stamp one.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:16 PM
Eagle Member

We got several Roc threads going, but it makes sense to continue my posts here. So

- Stock stamp 180g. Not especially domey, but feels deep. Glidey. Started out really stable, I've worked it to longer and straighter, with a consistent fade. Love it.
- 2 bottom stamp 180g's. Feels more shallow than the stock stamp. I can turn them a bit. Lots of fade. Less distance than the stock stamp.

I also really like grid Aviars and have had trouble getting 175g discs. Disc Baron had a few, so I placed an order there. I also picked a Michigan Disc Golf stamped 180g DX Roc. I get it and it is totally flat. The sticker reads FT DX Roc. This thing is an absolute brick. It just dumps left. If I'm throwing my stock stamp disc from a spot 225 out and parking it, I can throw this on the same shot and it'll go about 175 ft and about 30 feet left. It sort of flies like my Jokeri, but with less predictable ground play.

Then, someone local was selling a grid Aviar for $5. So I bought it. They also had a Roc3 listed at 172g, so I agreed to that. It is WAY lighter than that. I'm guessing somewhere in the 159g neighborhood. If I throw the exact same shot I described above, this thing goes about 240 and finishes about 20 feet to the right. Which is great. However, I've found that isn't isn't very predictable (or at least forgiving) when I try to throw it lower on less open holes.

So what should I be seeking? Deep feeling stock stamp DX's?

Old 08-24-2020, 04:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 570 Times in 314 Posts

Sounds like the first stock stamp one is in the sweet spot. Id start playing some one disc rounds with one of the bottom stamps to beat it in a bit. Then youll have the new really stable one for headwind, a moderately stable bottom stamp, a more neutral bottom stamp, and the first one you got for neutral/understable. Boom - 4 slots covered.

Oh, and sell the Roc3 back to the dude you bought it from :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk