Old 11-08-2020, 09:24 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 173 Times in 117 Posts

Hand feel is an aesthetic judgment for discs, in that it is universally subjective.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-08-2020, 10:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 391 Times in 199 Posts

I used to be a big no bead guy when first starting out. Then I played a few rounds with a judge and loved how it flew off the tee and I was draining everything putting wise. I also wrote off the comet early on because when I was at the store it felt like nothing I've ever held. Fast forward to today and now I'm putting with banger gts. Throwing wasps, cometsnand preds. I guess you can say I fall into the camp of if a disc flys like I want it to I can get over the weird hand feel.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-08-2020, 10:26 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,262 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I ran across this comment recently in a tread about the Dynamic Bounty:

I found that odd because I've throw Comets for literally decades and never noticed anything odd about the hand feel. biscoe has forgotten more about golf discs than I ever knew, though. It made me wonder because I noticed recently that after being the default answer for the "like a Firebird" question for 15 years, the Predator has all but disappeared from that conversation. A lot of the comments I could find again would mention the grip:

So I find myself as an old, out-of-touch player. We had few options before, so grip was just something you go over if you wanted options. I think I taught myself not to be picky. New players have so many options that they can be picky, so why wouldn't they?

So what is weird hand feel? Is it mostly personal, or are there discs that are universally hated for hand feel? I'm assuming it differs backhand to forehand, but I don't really know that for sure. The two examples I have are older discs; is there and old disc/new disc difference in how rims are generally designed now that restricts this to older models?

Just curious; I recommend discs to people all the time on the course so if I'm trying to avoid recommending discs to people that they are going to hate.
I get this because I never liked the ROC, yet I could throw similar discs like the Wasp due to being a wider rimed ROC but hate how the glide is gone in the Z plastics until the disc wears in and that takes years if you are not playing Disc Golf all the time. The ROC is not comfortable yet I could use a Comet if I had to, due to fact the mold is not so OS so I do not need to beyond rip on the mold to get the flight out of mold. Also I can throw a Gator with the big bead fine having tested my brothers Metal Flake Gator; I use a Stalker as a mold so Beads on discs is not a problem for me obviously. This was in 2000's when less choice then now so if one wanted a Comet flight about the only disc like this was a Comet maybe a Stingray if they wanted no bead but until near the end of 2000's Stingray only came in DX maybe a limited USDGC Champion version at one point or for a few years in a row.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 332 Times in 145 Posts

The Rattler is a weird feeling disc to me. Too deep.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 526
Niced 1,941 Times in 907 Posts

Wait, so a predator has a bead? I'll have to dig mine out again (it's been years since I've thrown one). I messed around with a Stalker this year a bit and that has a bead. And a weird hand feel imo.

I could care less about bead or no bead for putters or mids. But it does feel odd on the Stalker. I throw it pretty well though.

Count me among those who thinks a Comet feels weird. I plan on trying to like them again this winter with my Z. We'll see how it goes.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:19 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 35 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
Wait, so a predator has a bead? I'll have to dig mine out again (it's been years since I've thrown one). I messed around with a Stalker this year a bit and that has a bead. And a weird hand feel imo.

I could care less about bead or no bead for putters or mids. But it does feel odd on the Stalker. I throw it pretty well though.

Count me among those who thinks a Comet feels weird. I plan on trying to like them again this winter with my Z. We'll see how it goes.
I was wondering the same thing. I've never noticed a bead on any predator I've held. But I dont own one so can't be 100% positive.

Hand feel to me is really important. I have smaller hands so on drivers I really notice peculiar "attributes". I HATE the Stalker but love a good Prodigy F3.

Tour Series Luna is another one for example. I hated the feel of them at first. But now I'm at the point where I get dissapointed if I dont get to throw them all round.

Also, beads suck. That is all. Lol

Old 11-09-2020, 09:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 635 Times in 270 Posts

Right or wrong, I put my index finger on the rim for touch shots. So I really like beads on my mids and approaches, as I can get a much more consistent grip. I've never thrown a Comet, but I think they feel pretty good for that shot. For a more traditional power or fan grip? They feel awful to me.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 49
Niced 947 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
The Ion feels horrible with its rounded inner rim.
Came here to post about the line of putters. Impossible for me to throw.

I used to putt with Magnets, but when I try to throw them, they feel so odd I just can't do it.

I also now get the thin rim thing. It's made me put my Terns away.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 102
Niced 1,149 Times in 517 Posts

For me a 'weird' hand feel usually comes down to the volume of the rim more than the shape.

For example I really like the flight I get out of throwing a Hydra, but to me it feels like I'm grabbing a tennis racket.

Comets are on the other end of the spectrum for me, but smaller is something I can get used to and the Comet is too good not to figure out a grip for.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:55 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,688 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Came here to post about the line of putters. Impossible for me to throw.

I used to putt with Magnets, but when I try to throw them, they feel so odd I just can't do it.

I also now get the thin rim thing. It's made me put my Terns away.
I can’t mess with Magnets either, when I grip it normally it slides into a heavy hyzer. So freaking weird.

Same issue with the Tern, and I believe we have both expressed some level of disdain for the Anhyzer top and the weird outer rim feel it provides.