Old 11-15-2020, 02:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,676 Times in 1,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
It's not par it's super easy putting I have a problem with. Par 2 is just stupid byproduct of giant baskets. Same with Artificial OB, Raised baskets, No fairways, Baskets on top of mounds, and 18 under par scores. (Still I give myself credit for doing that).
Why is it stupid? Because you say so? Because it doesn't fit within the ball-golf norms?

Just turned on the Masters. The leaders are shooting somewhere around -14 with 5 to go. Must be too easy.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2020, 03:08 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.7
Courses Played: 431
Niced 2,362 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
It's not par it's super easy putting I have a problem with. Par 2 is just stupid byproduct of giant baskets. Same with Artificial OB, Raised baskets, No fairways, Baskets on top of mounds, and 18 under par scores. (Still I give myself credit for doing that).
None of those things would cease to exist merely because we moved to the marginally smaller baskets you are talking about.

Some would be less prevalent. You'd get more support by presenting your case as the small improvement it might be.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:12 PM
Size Queen

Niced 235 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
None of those things would cease to exist merely because we moved to the marginally smaller baskets you are talking about.

Some would be less prevalent. You'd get more support by presenting your case as the small improvement it might be.
They could be lessened. I imagine the smaller baskets would play about 3 shots harder per round for the top pro player, just converting the approximate percentages. That gives the designer or TD some wiggle room to take out some tricks.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-15-2020, 03:22 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Why is it stupid? Because you say so? Because it doesn't fit within the ball-golf norms?

Just turned on the Masters. The leaders are shooting somewhere around -14 with 5 to go. Must be too easy.
-20 through 4 rounds, not -18 in one. But they are already complaining about it before on post game shows. They want more challenge so they are talking about limiting the balls distance or club face (COR) distance on the driver. They already changed the grooves years ago which made my old thousand dollar clubs obsolete.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:49 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.8
Courses Played: 712
Niced 2,846 Times in 1,188 Posts

Here's some simple math related to elite players throwing rounds under par. Par is theoretically defined and set for a 1000-rated round. Elite tour events typically play courses where the points per throw is around 8. That means a 1056 player would expect to shoot 7 down to shoot their rating. Players typically shoot +/- 6 throws from their rating meaning a 1056 player will shoot within -1 to -13 on courses with par set for 1000 rating. If par is set for blue, 950 level, that moves the 1056 player "normal" under par range to -4 to -18 when par is set too high.

Here's what happens when you make scoring tougher by changing the basket. It simply raises the SSA of the course, but it does not change the over/under scoring range described above because the smaller basket scoring reduction will not be enough to change the appropriate par value set on each hole. So, all you get with this narrow basket change in the big picture is watching top players miss a few more long putts.

Old 11-15-2020, 03:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 172 Times in 64 Posts

Dustin Johnson stats vs the field at the Masters:

GIR- DJ 82% Field 66%
Fairways- DJ 78% Field 70%
Putts- DJ 1.60 Field 1.66

Ball golf needs smaller holes. Driving accuracy and GIR were a bigger difference than putting on the green

Old 11-15-2020, 03:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
-20 through 4 rounds, not -18 in one. But they are already complaining about it before on post game shows. They want more challenge so they are talking about limiting the balls distance or club face (COR) distance on the driver. They already changed the grooves years ago which made my old thousand dollar clubs obsolete.
I'm just using the same standard you are: My arbitrary opinion. Not based on facts whatsoever.

Golf can afford to make wholesale changes to equipment that cost (as you put it) thousands of dollars. Disc golf cannot which further illustrates my theory you have no idea what you are talking about because you do not play disc golf. At all.

But I would love it if you can prove me wrong with a smaller basket design. Where is that by the way?
Old 11-15-2020, 04:08 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
I'm just using the same standard you are: My arbitrary opinion. Not based on facts whatsoever.

Golf can afford to make wholesale changes to equipment that cost (as you put it) thousands of dollars. Disc golf cannot which further illustrates my theory you have no idea what you are talking about because you do not play disc golf. At all.

But I would love it if you can prove me wrong with a smaller basket design. Where is that by the way?
We can change too as old baskets wear out put in new ones. Costs nothing, in fact saves millions because the baskets would be smaller and using less metal, is a little lighter so less shipping cost.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Costs nothing,
Costs nothing to replace baskets? You're smoking the good stuff...

Old 11-15-2020, 05:25 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Costs nothing to replace baskets? You're smoking the good stuff...
When they NEED replacing anyways. Baskets don't last forever, they need replacing. THEN you get the cheaper smaller basket. Now you saved millions.