#2051  
Old 11-15-2020, 02:38 PM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,292
Niced 2,676 Times in 1,078 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
It's not par it's super easy putting I have a problem with. Par 2 is just stupid byproduct of giant baskets. Same with Artificial OB, Raised baskets, No fairways, Baskets on top of mounds, and 18 under par scores. (Still I give myself credit for doing that).
Why is it stupid? Because you say so? Because it doesn't fit within the ball-golf norms?

Just turned on the Masters. The leaders are shooting somewhere around -14 with 5 to go. Must be too easy.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2052  
Old 11-15-2020, 03:08 PM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 46.7
Courses Played: 431
Posts: 5,541
Niced 2,362 Times in 1,117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
It's not par it's super easy putting I have a problem with. Par 2 is just stupid byproduct of giant baskets. Same with Artificial OB, Raised baskets, No fairways, Baskets on top of mounds, and 18 under par scores. (Still I give myself credit for doing that).
None of those things would cease to exist merely because we moved to the marginally smaller baskets you are talking about.

Some would be less prevalent. You'd get more support by presenting your case as the small improvement it might be.
Reply With Quote
  #2053  
Old 11-15-2020, 03:12 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,220
Niced 235 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
None of those things would cease to exist merely because we moved to the marginally smaller baskets you are talking about.

Some would be less prevalent. You'd get more support by presenting your case as the small improvement it might be.
They could be lessened. I imagine the smaller baskets would play about 3 shots harder per round for the top pro player, just converting the approximate percentages. That gives the designer or TD some wiggle room to take out some tricks.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #2054  
Old 11-15-2020, 03:22 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,220
Niced 235 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Why is it stupid? Because you say so? Because it doesn't fit within the ball-golf norms?

Just turned on the Masters. The leaders are shooting somewhere around -14 with 5 to go. Must be too easy.
-20 through 4 rounds, not -18 in one. But they are already complaining about it before on post game shows. They want more challenge so they are talking about limiting the balls distance or club face (COR) distance on the driver. They already changed the grooves years ago which made my old thousand dollar clubs obsolete.
Reply With Quote
  #2055  
Old 11-15-2020, 03:49 PM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is offline
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 31.8
Courses Played: 712
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,993
Niced 2,846 Times in 1,188 Posts
Default

Here's some simple math related to elite players throwing rounds under par. Par is theoretically defined and set for a 1000-rated round. Elite tour events typically play courses where the points per throw is around 8. That means a 1056 player would expect to shoot 7 down to shoot their rating. Players typically shoot +/- 6 throws from their rating meaning a 1056 player will shoot within -1 to -13 on courses with par set for 1000 rating. If par is set for blue, 950 level, that moves the 1056 player "normal" under par range to -4 to -18 when par is set too high.

Here's what happens when you make scoring tougher by changing the basket. It simply raises the SSA of the course, but it does not change the over/under scoring range described above because the smaller basket scoring reduction will not be enough to change the appropriate par value set on each hole. So, all you get with this narrow basket change in the big picture is watching top players miss a few more long putts.

Reply With Quote
  #2056  
Old 11-15-2020, 03:54 PM
Billyray Billyray is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: St Charles, IL
Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 149
Niced 172 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Dustin Johnson stats vs the field at the Masters:

GIR- DJ 82% Field 66%
Fairways- DJ 78% Field 70%
Putts- DJ 1.60 Field 1.66

Ball golf needs smaller holes. Driving accuracy and GIR were a bigger difference than putting on the green

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #2057  
Old 11-15-2020, 03:59 PM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,292
Niced 2,676 Times in 1,078 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
-20 through 4 rounds, not -18 in one. But they are already complaining about it before on post game shows. They want more challenge so they are talking about limiting the balls distance or club face (COR) distance on the driver. They already changed the grooves years ago which made my old thousand dollar clubs obsolete.
I'm just using the same standard you are: My arbitrary opinion. Not based on facts whatsoever.

Golf can afford to make wholesale changes to equipment that cost (as you put it) thousands of dollars. Disc golf cannot which further illustrates my theory you have no idea what you are talking about because you do not play disc golf. At all.

But I would love it if you can prove me wrong with a smaller basket design. Where is that by the way?
Reply With Quote
  #2058  
Old 11-15-2020, 04:08 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,220
Niced 235 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
I'm just using the same standard you are: My arbitrary opinion. Not based on facts whatsoever.

Golf can afford to make wholesale changes to equipment that cost (as you put it) thousands of dollars. Disc golf cannot which further illustrates my theory you have no idea what you are talking about because you do not play disc golf. At all.

But I would love it if you can prove me wrong with a smaller basket design. Where is that by the way?
We can change too as old baskets wear out put in new ones. Costs nothing, in fact saves millions because the baskets would be smaller and using less metal, is a little lighter so less shipping cost.
Reply With Quote
  #2059  
Old 11-15-2020, 04:36 PM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,292
Niced 2,676 Times in 1,078 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Costs nothing,
Costs nothing to replace baskets? You're smoking the good stuff...

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #2060  
Old 11-15-2020, 05:25 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is offline
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,220
Niced 235 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Costs nothing to replace baskets? You're smoking the good stuff...
When they NEED replacing anyways. Baskets don't last forever, they need replacing. THEN you get the cheaper smaller basket. Now you saved millions.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't the pros throw 13 and 14 speed discs? DarkAce1978 General Disc Golf Chat 61 05-26-2018 06:07 PM
Rhyno: Why don't more pros use them? spahnandsain Discs 48 11-24-2017 04:01 AM
Smaller basket name? AzteC Other Gear 6 08-08-2014 12:56 AM
DG pros rock - shoutout to Sarah Hokom & Don Smith Timeetyo General Disc Golf Chat 24 06-19-2014 05:46 PM
2012 Worlds: Invited Pros - don't wait. Your spot will be taken on May 1. Spinthrift Tournaments & Leagues 2 04-20-2012 10:31 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.