#2081  
Old 11-15-2020, 07:54 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,496
Niced 5,095 Times in 1,747 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
If you priced that 28 million at today's prices, and this is a 20-30 year changeover, you need to add inflation into your figures.

But, in fairness, he's saying change the baskets when you would be replacing them due to age, anyway. So if someday, you're going to replace/upgrade a course's baskets, the cost is about the same, regardless of width.

How often do courses replace baskets? None around me ever have, and they're all 20-30 years old. Some have had chain assemblies or bottom trays replaced (originals were shallow), but not the entire target.
Untenable. My club cannot afford to lose hoards of players to tournaments on the new baskets. All it would take is for a couple courses just north of my clubs region, to change to the new, only acceptable sized baskets, and NOBODY will play my leagues or tournaments. I MUST immediately change to the new baskets, that AMs can't hit, to stay in business. So must all municipalities, park systems.....They must all be changed.

In this area most have recently been replaced. So, now the Ann Arbor area cannot compete for any Worlds or majors. We would need to raise millions to continue to be a potential disc golf destination.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by ru4por; 11-15-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2082  
Old 11-15-2020, 08:04 PM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,287
Niced 2,673 Times in 1,076 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
If you priced that 28 million at today's prices, and this is a 20-30 year changeover, you need to add inflation into your figures.

But, in fairness, he's saying change the baskets when you would be replacing them due to age, anyway. So if someday, you're going to replace/upgrade a course's baskets, the cost is about the same, regardless of width.

How often do courses replace baskets? None around me ever have, and they're all 20-30 years old. Some have had chain assemblies or bottom trays replaced (originals were shallow), but not the entire target.
Exactly what I was getting at earlier but god forbid OMD actually respond...Phasing these new baskets in as he suggests is going to be an excruciating slow process that disc golfer are going to hate.
Reply With Quote
  #2083  
Old 11-15-2020, 08:28 PM
Innova63's Avatar
Innova63 Innova63 is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South-eastern, Disconsin
Years Playing: 35.7
Courses Played: 264
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 900
Niced 355 Times in 195 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
We can change too as old baskets wear out put in new ones. Costs nothing, in fact saves millions because the baskets would be smaller and using less metal, is a little lighter so less shipping cost.
"Cost nothing"

really?
So when you replace the tires on your car and put on new ones, you pay nothing....

I do not know what world you are living in,
but in the world everyone else lives in....replacing stuff still costs something...
Reply With Quote
  #2084  
Old 11-15-2020, 09:00 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Posts: 16,228
Niced 5,895 Times in 2,271 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Untenable. My club cannot afford to lose hoards of players to tournaments on the new baskets. All it would take is for a couple courses just north of my clubs region, to change to the new, only acceptable sized baskets, and NOBODY will play my leagues or tournaments. I MUST immediately change to the new baskets, that AMs can't hit, to stay in business. So must all municipalities, park systems.....They must all be changed.

In this area most have recently been replaced. So, now the Ann Arbor area cannot compete for any Worlds or majors. We would need to raise millions to continue to be a potential disc golf destination.
Good point. Though I think it depends on exactly what type of baskets we're talking about, which I don't believe our crusader has described. Bulleyes? Narrower? Larger, just a few inches narrower than current baskets? Some other alteration?

There's an old course near me, where the baskets are noticeably narrower than most modern baskets. But not extreme, and the course remains quite popular.

I find the whole thing silly, but depending on how different the proposed baskets would actually be, I don't know if it would be a huge difference. On the contrary, I don't think it's worth bothering with.
Reply With Quote
  #2085  
Old 11-15-2020, 09:10 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is online now
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,186
Niced 225 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova63 View Post
"Cost nothing"

really?
So when you replace the tires on your car and put on new ones, you pay nothing....

I do not know what world you are living in,
but in the world everyone else lives in....replacing stuff still costs something...
But you have to replace them anyways at some point, ONLY then do you look at the new baskets. In fact the smaller baskets could save you money as they are lighter, use less metal. Cost less to ship, costs less to make (raw materials).

So when I say it costs nothing, you have to do it anyways. Just like I have to buy new tires. Now if I came up with a cheaper tire option that was better you wouldn't replace your current tires would you? No. You would wait till they wear out and then buy the newer better option then.
Reply With Quote
  #2086  
Old 11-15-2020, 09:25 PM
JedV's Avatar
JedV JedV is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cascadia
Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,769
Niced 331 Times in 144 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
But you have to replace them anyways at some point, ONLY then do you look at the new baskets. In fact the smaller baskets could save you money as they are lighter, use less metal. Cost less to ship, costs less to make (raw materials).

So when I say it costs nothing, you have to do it anyways. Just like I have to buy new tires. Now if I came up with a cheaper tire option that was better you wouldn't replace your current tires would you? No. You would wait till they wear out and then buy the newer better option then.
So...

Is this is for the pro's? Because it sure sounds like you're wanting to foist this on the rest of us.
Reply With Quote
  #2087  
Old 11-15-2020, 09:36 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,988
Niced 3,744 Times in 1,352 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
So...

Is this is for the pro's? Because it sure sounds like you're wanting to foist this on the rest of us.
I mean the idea is that once people watch teh YooTubes videos of really good players laying up on the little baskets, we will all decide that it looks like more fun than we are having and will want the little baskets.

At least I think that was it, I might be missing something...

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #2088  
Old 11-15-2020, 09:40 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is online now
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,186
Niced 225 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
So...

Is this is for the pro's? Because it sure sounds like you're wanting to foist this on the rest of us.
That is the thread title right?
Reply With Quote
  #2089  
Old 11-15-2020, 09:45 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is online now
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,186
Niced 225 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I mean the idea is that once people watch teh YooTubes videos of really good players laying up on the little baskets, we will all decide that it looks like more fun than we are having and will want the little baskets.

At least I think that was it, I might be missing something...
They might not run by 25-35 feet like they do now as 3 putting would be a higher factor. Maybe have some touch on the putt instead of rifling it into the giant basket.
Reply With Quote
 

  #2090  
Old 11-15-2020, 09:53 PM
JedV's Avatar
JedV JedV is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cascadia
Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,769
Niced 331 Times in 144 Posts
Default

Are you trying to eliminate aces?

Sounds like they will be fewer and father between on a small target. Something like a Bullseye/marksman basket will splash out discs with no remorse.

Sounds like a hell of a lot less fun.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't the pros throw 13 and 14 speed discs? DarkAce1978 General Disc Golf Chat 61 05-26-2018 06:07 PM
Rhyno: Why don't more pros use them? spahnandsain Discs 48 11-24-2017 04:01 AM
Smaller basket name? AzteC Other Gear 6 08-08-2014 12:56 AM
DG pros rock - shoutout to Sarah Hokom & Don Smith Timeetyo General Disc Golf Chat 24 06-19-2014 05:46 PM
2012 Worlds: Invited Pros - don't wait. Your spot will be taken on May 1. Spinthrift Tournaments & Leagues 2 04-20-2012 10:31 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.