Old 11-12-2020, 11:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,210 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
This is an area of the rules that the PDGA should look at very carefully. First off casual water is casual water and players should always get relief in order to provide an equitable playing environment.

Any place on the course that is not designed to be ob or a hazard, should allow full relief from casual water. That relief should be at the nearest point of relief, no closer to the hole, period. This forcing you maintain a line between the disc and the hole is garbage and forces a ton of inequitable results. For instance you throw a putt at a basket, it goes 5 feet by and lands in a puddle that extends 30 feet. So now instead of the 5' putt you deserve, you are now looking at a 35' putt instead, when if the rule was closest dry position no closer to hole, the putt would have only been 7-8'. Ball golf uses the closest nearest relief, period, because this is the most equitable solution. And the TD's that make you play from casual water are out of their damn minds.
I agree.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2020, 11:51 AM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 37.1
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 204 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Or don't throw into the puddle. Just like throwing into a bush, no relief.

I disagree with any rule that gives the thrower an advantage over their bad throw.

I know you have a difficult time with this but ball on ground is nothing like disc in air, so no.
So you disagree with allowing a player to throw from a closer point than where the disc last crossed out of bounds? Another rule that needs to be reworked closer to the way ball golf does it. You should always only be allowed to drop with penalty or not, to a point no closer to the hole.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 213
Niced 650 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
So you disagree with allowing a player to throw from a closer point than where the disc last crossed out of bounds? Another rule that needs to be reworked closer to the way ball golf does it. You should always only be allowed to drop with penalty or not, to a point no closer to the hole.
Are you kidding me??? On a wooded course that defeats the whole purpose of the design. If that were the rule, we'd ALWAYS try to get as much distance as possible without worrying
about sliding or flying off the fairway because we could ALWAYS take a drop dead center fairway just a few feet back.

Crazy.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:04 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.7
Courses Played: 431
Niced 2,362 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Are you kidding me??? On a wooded course that defeats the whole purpose of the design. If that were the rule, we'd ALWAYS try to get as much distance as possible without worrying
about sliding or flying off the fairway because we could ALWAYS take a drop dead center fairway just a few feet back.

Crazy.
Didn't he mean closest possible point which is at least as far away from the target?
Old 11-13-2020, 12:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 144
Niced 1,114 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Didn't he mean closest possible point which is at least as far away from the target?
He means whatever makes DG more like bolf

Niced: (1)
Old 11-15-2020, 05:50 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,261 Times in 1,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
On hole 4 at Old Post in Arkansas there is a culvert that comes out of the side of a hill. Generally if has been raining and water has collected there it is marked as OB, but if it is dry it generally isnt.
On hole 17 of Steamboat Park in Pierre (Pier) South Dakota there is a water drainage ditch that is concrete. Now it is up to the TD at tournaments if the ditch is in play or not during dry conditions but almost all times the TD's have agreed that if it has water it is not casual and is OB.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:

Crazy.
Do you know how they do a drop penalty in traditional Golf? The drop the ball behind them without touching persons body or redo if it does and where it lies it stays provided it is behind the lie you marked with the old used on golf ball marker that is normally used only on greens except in a ball drop case. The Marker you are using which could be a Quarter or a beer cap as long as it fits the size for a ball marker. In this case I think both USA and Europe both am and Pro use same size ball marker unlike ball size where on one of them the ball can be bigger same with am stuff to on ball size.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Steve, I don't recall him saying closest point. That clearly changes things. He said a drop "to a point no closer than to the hole" -- which to me implies I CAN move left or right to take that drop -- as long as I am farther away. On a wooded course, particularly a tightly-wooded course with punishing woods off the fairway, it is often the case that we wished we were 10 feet further back and ON the fairway instead of 10 feet into the woods. If we could drop there w/o penalty, it would make the courses a lot easier.

Quote:
See the part in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Do you know how they do a drop penalty in traditional Golf? The drop the ball behind them without touching persons body or redo if it does and where it lies it stays provided it is behind the lie you marked with the old used on golf ball marker that is normally used only on greens except in a ball drop case. The Marker you are using which could be a Quarter or a beer cap as long as it fits the size for a ball marker. In this case I think both USA and Europe both am and Pro use same size ball marker unlike ball size where on one of them the ball can be bigger same with am stuff to on ball size.
Uh. no I don't and I am not sure your explanation here has clarified it for me. What is incorrect about what I said above?
Old 11-21-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Uh. no I don't and I am not sure your explanation here has clarified it for me. What is incorrect about what I said above?
Traditional Golf:

I think they use the ball marker for old ball lie and it is a rather tight size restriction for all events. The player then tosses ball over the shoulder, I forget the side, then lets ball drop where it lies provided the ball does not hit the player or else they redo the ball drop from casual water.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Traditional Golf:

I think they use the ball marker for old ball lie and it is a rather tight size restriction for all events. The player then tosses ball over the shoulder, I forget the side, then lets ball drop where it lies provided the ball does not hit the player or else they redo the ball drop from casual water.
OH, OK. Interesting. Would you posit that something like that be part of disc golf as well?