Old 11-13-2018, 05:15 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 111
Niced 157 Times in 89 Posts

Update: All 18 fairways are at least conceptualized/flagged. I was on the fence about changing 2 holes of the existing 12-13 that have been played, and have chosen, at this point, not to. I am looking forward to cutting enough brush to walk the entire course and get a feel for the flow. There is a fairway I would really like to reverse, but I think the routing becomes a nightmare. My other issues, for tournament play (small local stuff, no sanctioned planned) are proximity of a couple fairways/LZs, and 2 instances where fairways cross. Less than ideal, to be sure, but this is 18 holes on 11 acres. Off the top of my head the average hole length will be 300-320 feet. I think that the quality of the layout will trump the perceived (or actual) flaws. Plus, you know, it's at my house, which is pretty cool.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-13-2018, 07:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,385 Times in 1,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddyboots View Post
Update: All 18 fairways are at least conceptualized/flagged. I was on the fence about changing 2 holes of the existing 12-13 that have been played, and have chosen, at this point, not to. I am looking forward to cutting enough brush to walk the entire course and get a feel for the flow. There is a fairway I would really like to reverse, but I think the routing becomes a nightmare. My other issues, for tournament play (small local stuff, no sanctioned planned) are proximity of a couple fairways/LZs, and 2 instances where fairways cross. Less than ideal, to be sure, but this is 18 holes on 11 acres. Off the top of my head the average hole length will be 300-320 feet. I think that the quality of the layout will trump the perceived (or actual) flaws. Plus, you know, it's at my house, which is pretty cool.
Just make it clear during player's meeting what hole has the rightaway and to watch out for each other. There are plenty of events on courses like that. Our New Years day event is on a 35+ yr old pitch n putt where the next tees are frequently inside the circle.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 133
Niced 160 Times in 84 Posts

For any locals not on the Book of Faces... Hidden Ridge Work Day coming up on 11/25 from 9am-4pm. Break around 12:30-1:00 for grub (provided) and throw 9 holes or so. PM for details.

Also gonna have a casual "open" day on Black Friday afternoon.(15 holes open for play.) Shooting for 1pm but need to confirm with my better half. Maybe get some dubs going if we have the numbers.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by InnocentCrook; 11-13-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,088 Times in 994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddyboots View Post
Our course has one incident of crossing fairways, and people forgive us for it. Both holes are great. Other than a few tournament rounds, there are never enough people here for it to matter. Stay with the quality, I say.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:57 PM
* Ace Member *

One important principle of private course ownership is, Know your audience.

And unless you're expecting a big commercial success of it, that audience is you.

You're the one who'll be playing the most, so make sure it's what you like, and don't worry about the flaws that don't bother you. Other people may share your tastes, more or less, and that's great. And if not, you still get to play the sort of course you enjoy.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 94
Niced 909 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post

And unless you're expecting a big commercial success of it, that audience is you.

You're the one who'll be playing the most, so make sure it's what you like, and don't worry about the flaws that don't bother you. Other people may share your tastes, more or less, and that's great. And if not, you still get to play the sort of course you enjoy.
Wait... you mean you actually get to PLAY your course????

The audience in my mind for the next year is the whole dg world since we will be hosting the first PDGA Major ever contested in a cow pasture. Already has me waking up in a cold sweat screaming... (ok, not really but it has me worried)

Niced: (2)
Old 11-14-2018, 02:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Wait... you mean you actually get to PLAY your course????

The audience in my mind for the next year is the whole dg world since we will be hosting the first PDGA Major ever contested in a cow pasture. Already has me waking up in a cold sweat screaming... (ok, not really but it has me worried)
I play it every night.....in my dreams.

Actually---and this is true---many of my dreams involve TDing nightmares. And that's with just an XC-tier; can't imagine inviting a Major.

But I do play it about 3 times a month, which is still more than anybody else does.

That TDing stuff is what happens after enough people decide that they like what you like. I guess keeping it tournament-capable is always in the back of our mind.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 505 Times in 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post

I'm the only one who plays my course for now. I have had some relatives who never played before on a sissy version of it.

I have had my dg buddy play it a couple of times but he doesn't like it for some reason.

So, for now I am carving out new holes and shaping the old holes to suit myself, though I do find myself thinking "Maybe I should create a new route for someone who may throw tomahawks or rollers." Then I snap back to reality.

Anybody here want to come to northern Ohio to play?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:56 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Meniscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacewarf View Post
Since the first moment I played I think it was the grass roots enjoyment which attracted and allured me to disc golf. Almost immediately I think the dream was also born to have my own course. It never seemed particularly feasible out west, though not impossible. Just not something that would happen too quickly.

Well since then I have moved back east, with a partner who owns almost 20 acres of fairly dense mixedd regeneration forest. I have bought 9 baskets and the snow will be melted in days. I just need fresh chains for the chain saw and....my knee to heal.

4 days ago on a cross country ski trip in Baxter I fell bad on a windy trail down a hill and injured my knee cartalidge. Today, I got a ,we'll see if it heals right from the doc at the ER today, thus some optimism, though still uncertainty.

With all the pieces in place I am so close but will alas still be stuck fiddling around with overhead photos and Google earth for at least a few more weeks. That and admiring my stack of basket boxes.

Has anyone gone through this process and come out on the other side with words of wisdom? I'll chart the course, and preliminarily my knees progress, as it goes.
Is it a meniscus tear?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 505 Times in 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajo1125 View Post
Is it a meniscus tear?
holy necrobump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg necrobump.jpeg (9.8 KB, 24 views)