Old 01-19-2010, 11:17 AM

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Disc Weights

The past few discs that I have purchased from various manufactures are mislabeled with the WRONG weight.

With this in mind, I went through the rest of my bag and re-weighed every disc. 9 of 16 were NOT correct. (Most were Innova) To me, this is absolutely unacceptable!

It is entirely too easy to put a disc on a scale and write the corresponding weight on the disc. WTF? Some are off as much as 4 GRAMS!!!

So my question is..... have any of you had the similar experiences and what can we do about this?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 17.9
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Vegan Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisFlameworks View Post
have any of you had the similar experiences and what can we do about this?
Yes. Either suck it up & realize that that is the status quo that the manufacturers have no incentive to change, or buy from a retailer (such as Marshall Street) that weighs & correctly relabels each disc before selling it.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 46
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

eh, it's no big deal. Discs absorb moisture after they are weighed or maybe your scale is a little off of what the manufacturers is so it weighs the disc differently. I really don't see why people freak out about this every now and then, your disc lose weight as you throw them so it's not like that 175 orc is going to weigh 175 for it's whole life. Plus there are things that affect the flight of the disc besides a few grams like dome and parting line.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I generally just heft a disc in my hand. If it feels right...
Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been sucking it up for many years.... kinda just want what i'm paying for.

I see your points and they are valid, but If I'm spending $18 a pop, I expect it to be what I want, not "close." I hear ya on the disc over time changing weight due to use, but what if ya want a new one that performs like the beat in one did when it was new?

Lets say I want to buy a run of 10 172g Boss', wouldn't I expect to get 10 172g Boss', not some 171 and some 173, a couple 174 and couple 172. Don't think that is good business... to me it seems a little like misrepresentation. I mean, If I order a yellow disc and get a red one, yeah it's close, but not what I wanted.

I realize this isn't a HUGE deal, but come on... you should get what you pay for...and 4GRAMS is alot to me.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
It is entirely too easy to put a disc on a scale and write the corresponding weight on the disc. WTF? Some are off as much as 4 GRAMS!!!
Do they actually weigh each disc or just a few in each batch? I would think an operator wouldn't have enough time to weigh every disc.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 48
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just to throw this out there and give some comparison. A dollar bill weights one grams. If you have a stack of 171 dollar bills and a stack of 172 dollar bills can you tell a difference....
Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 50 Times in 22 Posts

4g out of 170g is ~2.3% or 0.141 oz. Check the accuracy claims of your scale. Then consider that the discs can absorb water and what it would take for the manufacturers to accurately estimate how much water will be absorbed and or lost and how much you're willing to pay for them to learn to do that accurately. I'd also suggest weighing them throughout the season or even year to see how much variaion you'll see in different temperatures and humidities.

It seems like a really simple thing, but in reality I'm guessing it's quite a bit more complex than people make it out to be.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 46
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Been sucking it up for many years.... kinda just want what i'm paying for.

I see your points and they are valid, but If I'm spending $18 a pop, I expect it to be what I want, not "close." I hear ya on the disc over time changing weight due to use, but what if ya want a new one that performs like the beat in one did when it was new?

Lets say I want to buy a run of 10 172g Boss', wouldn't I expect to get 10 172g Boss', not some 171 and some 173, a couple 174 and couple 172. Don't think that is good business... to me it seems a little like misrepresentation. I mean, If I order a yellow disc and get a red one, yeah it's close, but not what I wanted.

I realize this isn't a HUGE deal, but come on... you should get what you pay for...and 4GRAMS is alot to me.
So the manufacturer has to control for your scale being different from theirs or the disc changing after they send it out?

Trust me, if those 171 and 174 bosses have the same parting line, dome and cooled the same they will fly more alike than two 172 bosses that domed up differently or shrunk differently during cooling.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 115
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I've got a disc that is labeled as a 173, but actually weighs 178. I thought it was weird when it had more fade than another of the same disc that was actually 175, then I weighed it, and then I knew. This particular mold is only approved to 176.8. I wouldn't have cared, and really don't care, but the flight pattern is noticeably different.