Old 01-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Disc weights...

I am fairly new to DG(started in late July) what is the difference in the weights of each disc???

Is 3-5 grams really that big of a deal???

What is the benefits to a lighter disc, or a heavier disc???

Thank you, and I am sorry if this has been talked about before, or if it is a stupid NOOB question...
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 47
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

150 gram class discs are good for weaker arms and kids.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaChris View Post
150 gram class discs are good for weaker arms and kids.
There are discs that are that light??? I think the lightest disc I have is 167-169, maybe...
Old 01-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W.G. View Post
I am fairly new to DG(started in late July) what is the difference in the weights of each disc???
Is 3-5 grams really that big of a deal???
What is the benefits to a lighter disc, or a heavier disc???
Thank you, and I am sorry if this has been talked about before, or if it is a stupid NOOB question...
Lighter drivers are better for beginners, since they are easier to throw, but they are also easier to turn over. (yes there are 150 class discs - you can even find lighter ones for kids) As your arm strengthens and your technique imporves you will be able to throw heavier drivers, if you decide you want to. For me, most of my drivers are in the 167 - 170 range.

I like my midrange and putters to be on the heavier side. Becuase of the greater need for control and accuracy in shorter approach shots I find heavier discs easier to control. Whatever you do, dont buy a light putter - you will hate it.

Now about differneces in weight - Innova disc weights are almost always mismarked by a few grams. Discraft has never been off in my experience. this is just something to keep in mind while buying discs.
for me I do notice differences in weights. In my putters a 5 grams difference is major. In drivers I'm a little more ok with weight differences but I can still notice differences.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 50 Times in 22 Posts

IMO, 165g putters are awesome for putts as long as you pick a stable putter. They handle the wind well and carry farther than heavier putters. I like mid weights for approaches and heavy for drives.

Most people tend to get a bit more distance with no loss of conrol out of mid weight mids than heavy mids. However, most people use heavy mids.

I have a ~120g S Spirit that's flat as all get out and really overstable. It's funny to throw it in the wind becaues it will not turn over, but it gets batted around a lot and penetrates horribly.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

To add a little to what's already been said, think of throwing a paper plate. if you throw a paper plate like a frisbee with any power whatsoever, it turns over quickly (understable). This is because it is so light. It is definitely an exaggeration of what a lighter disc will do, but it's a good example.

Don't feel like you're less of a disc golf player if you don't recognize weight differences. I didn't for a while. The first time i really did was when I bought two of the same disc in very different weights. They were both Diablo DTs made by gateway, and the one that was lighter i could flip over easily-even my friends who had just started playing disc golf could get a nice 'S' curve out of it because it was lighter. However, the heavier mold I had a hard time flipping over into the 'S' curve at all. a few grams won't make much of a difference, but they do make a little. experiment with different weights. If some other people have the same exact disc you have in weights 5 or more grams apart (and both of them are new or equally worn in), ask to throw them both. it might take a while, but you'll see the difference.

feel free to ask any questions.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Ryan makes a good point.
The only way you will really notice a difference in weight is if you are throwing the same disc/differnet weight. If you throw two differnet discs in two different weights you wont learn much that way - of course they will fly differently - they are different discs. so the easiest way to get a feel for different weights is to throw ht esame disc in diff weights.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 57 Times in 26 Posts

I have about 20 discs in all. But I have pairs of Wraiths, T=Rexs, Roadrunners, and Leopards...all about 8-10 grams different in weight. I had a pair of Beasts, but lost one. 3 Rocs, in different weights.
I agree with you guys about practicing with the same mold in different weights...its fun to learn what the discs can do. For example, I like to throw my lighter Wraith on uphill holes...it tends to gain altitude naturally and I can get a pretty tight s shape. To get the heavier Wraith uphill, I need to throw it harder and higher and it has a tendency to flip and not come back or stalls and fades heavy and left and short. Just one example.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 117
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I've found out <the hard way>, that for me, disc weight is HUGE. As a noob, all the guys I played with threw rhbh, and threw 175g drivers...so I thought since I was a big guy <I'm 6'2>, that that's also what I needed to be throwing. WRONG. My throwing style, and my age, are totally different than the 20 something guys. I don't have the arm speed/ torque that they do. For me, I found that the 162-165 g discs are what suit my arm. However they are not good in wind. For that I do carry some discs in 168 or 171g that do work much better. That is for rhbh. But for forehand, I found that I can generate more torque, and I throw max weight discs 171-175g. If not, they tend to be too flippy. Understable/overstable discs also play an important part of disc weight. I know guys who throw lighter weight overstable, but when it comes to understable discs <sidewinder, roadrunner>, they need a heavier weight to get it to do what they want. It really is trial and error, and if you have friends who have different disc weights than you, ask to try them!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

In my opinion (albeit from limited experience), 3-5 grams is where you start noticing a difference. Much less difference in weight than that, and other factors start to mask whatever difference a gram or two would make.

For example, I have two Wraiths. One is a 175g tie-dyed champion model, and the other is a 167g yellow Star model. They're both moderately worn by about the same degree. The 175g model is my most overstable disc, whereas the lighter one is deliciously flat and straight. Some of this difference may be accountable to plastic or even color, but I'm confident that a lot of the difference is the weight. My experience has been similar with Valkyries, but I lost my Champion model, which was the lighter one: it turned over much easier than my 175g Star Valk.