Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 05-17-2018, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,182 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Folfer View Post
Interesting, I've never thrown one but at Innova's website they specifically recommend the Firebird: "works extremely well into a head wind", "our most popular upwind distance driver". Doesn't say anything about hills though.
Firebirds essentially completely ignore wind...well wind that doesn't get underneath of them. But they are certainly not a distance driver even though they are a "speed 9 distance driver". Most players will throw a Firebird in the same distance range as their midrange discs since they are incredibly overstable and have very little glide. They are a necessary disc in the bag, but used more for placement shots and other trick shots that need a crazy overstable disc.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 165 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Firebirds essentially completely ignore wind...well wind that doesn't get underneath of them. But they are certainly not a distance driver even though they are a "speed 9 distance driver". Most players will throw a Firebird in the same distance range as their midrange discs since they are incredibly overstable and have very little glide. They are a necessary disc in the bag, but used more for placement shots and other trick shots that need a crazy overstable disc.
My FBs touch the lower end of my fairway distance, but I'm giving them all sorts of OAT on a FH to get them there. Still go further than my mids. BH is another story.

Back on topic though, I've faced headwind/uphill case before and it also had to be straight for 150' before you could have any side to side movemwnt greater than 10'. I usually threw an OS mid, but if I had the room, I'd probably throw either a PD or my beefy (no turn BH) Destroyer.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 32 Times in 20 Posts

I have a hole like this at my local course. Most of the time there is a stiff right to left breeze but in higher wind conditions it turns into a straight headwind. In headwind conditions I use the same disc but move my line 15 feet or so to the left and let the wind turn my disc over. If i throw it correctly I get the same result.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 291 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
I think it depends on the ability of the player. Your description perfectly describes my Firebird ability. But my buddy with a tremendous forehand can get crazy distance with a Firebird FH throw.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,182 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
I think it depends on the ability of the player. Your description perfectly describes my Firebird ability. But my buddy with a tremendous forehand can get crazy distance with a Firebird FH throw.
Yeah I'm mostly describing for someone who is just seeing that Innova lists it as their preferred headwind disc, that it will not be a distance driver for the wind. Instead it's a consistent placement driver for wind with a ton of stability.

There's a difference between a flat BH shot with a Firebird which is likely in midrange distance for most players and ignores any wind, and a FH flex shot that will get a strong FH thrower reasonable distance, since Firebirds respond well to high velocity and can flex out of nearly any angle.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 291 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Yeah I'm mostly describing for someone who is just seeing that Innova lists it as their preferred headwind disc, that it will not be a distance driver for the wind. Instead it's a consistent placement driver for wind with a ton of stability.

There's a difference between a flat BH shot with a Firebird which is likely in midrange distance for most players and ignores any wind, and a FH flex shot that will get a strong FH thrower reasonable distance, since Firebirds respond well to high velocity and can flex out of nearly any angle.
I have actually never thrown my FB BH. My FH ing buddy gave it to me when he tried to teach me proper FH technique and told me "This is your FH disc". So that's all I use it for.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
Par Member

Niced 40 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
I have actually never thrown my FB BH. My FH ing buddy gave it to me when he tried to teach me proper FH technique and told me "This is your FH disc". So that's all I use it for.
Makes some sense, but there are plenty of situations where a Firebird can be a weapon thrown backhand. And overhand.

Niced: (1)