Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 09-29-2013, 01:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 236 Times in 154 Posts

Summit is about as fun a putter to throw as I've tried.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2013, 01:24 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

And BTW I'd bet that Vibrams X-Link rubber has a fair amount of thermoplastic in it.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 33
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sell me the Vibram discs you no longer use!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:56 AM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 184 Times in 104 Posts

Different strokes for different folks, broseph.

Everyone loved Vibram when I held my Birdie Bash. Many of the 35 players still throw Vibram, but not all of them (including me) still do. Luckily there is enough disc golf manufacturers out there that everyone can be happy!
Old 09-29-2013, 07:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,093 Times in 1,345 Posts

I've never really associated throwing Vibram to Kool-Aid drinking.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Old 09-29-2013, 10:03 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,088 Times in 731 Posts

I've thrown a ton of putters.. not just putting but driving mostly as I always kept to my putting putter but just love mashing on putters and will say 100% that the vibram discs (putters mostly) do not glide like other manufactures. I drove pures before driving pures was the cool thing and they came in "grip line" plastic I currently throw IONs/Anodes further than most throw their mids/fairways but cant get much more than 300' with ridge, vp, sole (summit coming in the mail and maybe can get some real D out if it being US) generally vibrams IMO glide like turds... and that's not a bad thing at all but different for sure. Super easy discs to range, all have solid HSS, but I like my putters to have some D and theirs generally don't.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
vibram discs cant have glide as it is a property of plastic, and they use rubber.
I think this is total bull**** haha and I'm honestly kind of sick of hearing that vibram discs don't glide. The ridge doesn't glide but it literally has nothing to do with the material because it is equally dense and has great surface texture for gliding like base plastic. Beating in so slowly does make stable-overstable vibram discs take time before they break in nicely and really start gliding. In my experience vibrams glide excellently.

Last edited by Ted Bratton; 09-29-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,088 Times in 731 Posts

I am not sure "glide" is the right term but they DO fly differently than your conventional plastics currently on the market.

Glide is the only way I can think to describe it with the putters (and to say they glide better beat-in is ridiculous, so does ANY disc on the market vs a fresh one). The discs don't hold lines as long as others and want to get to the ground much sooner than my ions/anodes specially if you give them a lot of spin there is no comparison.

I don't think anyone is saying vibram are bad discs b/c of the unique flights if anything it give them a niche-- read smarkquart post, another user who has thrown a ton of different discs and knows what he is talking about. Pretty much sums up my experience with the ridge/vp and the VP becoming hardly OS at all in the world of truly OS putters.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 16 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bratton View Post
I think this is total bull**** haha and I'm honestly kind of sick of hearing that vibram discs don't glide. The ridge doesn't glide but it literally has nothing to do with the material because it is equally dense and has great surface texture for gliding like base plastic. Beating in so slowly does make stable-overstable vibram discs take time before they break in nicely and really start gliding. In my experience vibrams glide excellently.
With all due respect for our different styles - I also experience a lack of glide with the Vibrams. I don't think this a problem, it just makes them useful differently. Sole was closest to typical, but the mold was so similar to an Aviar I just switched back to one due to consistency. Try playing catch with a buddy using a Summit/VP/Ridge. Then try it with other putters (Rattler is my fav for this) and see the difference.

I suppose in the end I find consistency and fit/finish Vibram's most compelling drawbacks. My Summit had a bumper around the edge of uneven 'flashing'. Really just unclean cut from it's mold it appeared which required some box cutter surgery. I'm sure I cut off at least a gram of material. I also find the flight characteristics between F and M x-link to be night and day and even between the 3 163g M Laces I have, one is noticeably more US. This isn't to say they are unique with these sort of issues - and I still love me a Lace - but for putting especially, I was personally more comfortable relying on my tried and true Aviar after a swing with the Sole.

They have their strengths and I think they'll thrive on those, but I look forward to them improving as they go.