#631  
Old 06-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Nick Pacific Nick Pacific is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
Niced 37 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
His putting still has that catch in it. I don't think he will come back till he eliminates that problem. I sincerely hope he does. I saw some of those beaver state vids of him. He was really masterful.
Actually check out the whole nonstopdiscgolf YouTube page where that is from, there are a bunch of really high quality vids in there considering it was 2012.

Injuries and overtraining can lead to bad habits, but gosh Will is still a very young man at what, 26 or so? His best days are ahead of him.

Like I mentioned earlier, there have been pitchers in MLB who were not only older but also had much more serious elbow and shoulder injuries that came back to throw hard and win. He can do it, just depends on how bad he wants it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #632  
Old 06-07-2018, 02:01 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,174
Niced 952 Times in 574 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
Actually check out the whole nonstopdiscgolf YouTube page where that is from, there are a bunch of really high quality vids in there considering it was 2012.

Injuries and overtraining can lead to bad habits, but gosh Will is still a very young man at what, 26 or so? His best days are ahead of him.

Like I mentioned earlier, there have been pitchers in MLB who were not only older but also had much more serious elbow and shoulder injuries that came back to throw hard and win. He can do it, just depends on how bad he wants it.
My feeling is that it is a mental problem now. To get back into form and then train to play high level, he needs to get his mind over the problem and focus on the solution. Of course, playing backseat analyst from my computer is very easy.

I really hope he does, frankly, I thought he was better than Ricky, please don't beat me up too badly. He was just so smooth. I will take a look at the links of his play though, thanks for the suggestion.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #633  
Old 06-07-2018, 03:12 PM
araytx araytx is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 192
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,016
Niced 165 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Perhaps Will has focused his interests in other areas. He has enough natural ability to be a 990-1010 disc golfer all the time. Maybe he doesn't want to do the things it takes to be that elite 1030+ pro anymore. He promotes Prodigy Disc, does clinics, etc.

Maybe the question in the OP (today) is ill-formed, especially if remaining an elite pro player and touring isn't what he's about anymore. It's like asking "has Climo peaked?"
Reply With Quote
  #634  
Old 06-07-2018, 03:38 PM
BuiltTooLong's Avatar
BuiltTooLong BuiltTooLong is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Courses Played: 89
Posts: 344
Niced 307 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Perhaps Will has focused his interests in other areas. He has enough natural ability to be a 990-1010 disc golfer all the time. Maybe he doesn't want to do the things it takes to be that elite 1030+ pro anymore. He promotes Prodigy Disc, does clinics, etc.

Maybe the question in the OP (today) is ill-formed, especially if remaining an elite pro player and touring isn't what he's about anymore. It's like asking "has Climo peaked?"
I asked Will flat out toward the end of last year if he was changing his focus a bit toward the ambassador side naming Avery Jenkins as an example. He was very implicit in his denial that anything is changing with his focus on competition.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #635  
Old 06-07-2018, 03:42 PM
BuiltTooLong's Avatar
BuiltTooLong BuiltTooLong is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Courses Played: 89
Posts: 344
Niced 307 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
It's like asking "has Climo peaked?"
Actually it's nothing like that. Climo is 50 something and was dominant throughout his athletic prime. Schusterick is in his mid-twenties...
Reply With Quote
  #636  
Old 06-07-2018, 03:57 PM
roggenb3's Avatar
roggenb3 roggenb3 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Madtown
Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 109
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,430
Niced 675 Times in 368 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
He was very implicit in his denial that anything is changing with his focus on competition.
Not trying to be grammar police, but I think you mean explicit. Though if you don't....I'd be curious to know what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #637  
Old 06-07-2018, 04:11 PM
BuiltTooLong's Avatar
BuiltTooLong BuiltTooLong is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Courses Played: 89
Posts: 344
Niced 307 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Not trying to be grammar police, but I think you mean explicit. Though if you don't....I'd be curious to know what he said.
Bahahaha. Grammar police required on that one. You could say he was EMPHATIC in his response that his main focus was competition. But I'm sure he would be thankful of A-Ray's white knightmanship.
Reply With Quote
  #638  
Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 PM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tx
Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,217
Niced 374 Times in 213 Posts
Default

I've also read (or maybe it was in video...hell I can't remember...lol..) some comments where Will made it seem he wants to get back to competing at the top. Of all the players, I don't know why, but it would just seem so cool to see Will winning again. He still has that THE "Mr. Disc Golf" vibe.
Reply With Quote
  #639  
Old 06-22-2018, 11:56 AM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tx
Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,217
Niced 374 Times in 213 Posts
Default

Will will be on one of the lead cards in round 1 of the Utah open for post production coverage. It will be nice to see a full round from Will and see how he has progressed.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #640  
Old 06-22-2018, 12:32 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,174
Niced 952 Times in 574 Posts
Default

Will, are you going to change your focus from competing to being an ambassador?

No, well maybe, but I've always thought that one should play to the best of their game and should aim to be at the top. And being an ambassador doesn't allow a player to compete at the top of the game and well, I think one should compete at the top of their game and not be an ambassador so, I sometimes think about that.

Will implied that he would not change his focus from competing to be being an ambassador is way more fun than he explicitly or emphatically claimed he was still going to compete at the top level, in my opinion.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.