Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 06-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 205 Times in 134 Posts

Lighter weight older esp nukes do bomb. But they like to be thrown flatter with more authority to get the full flight out of them. Can’t really hyzerflip them out of the box.

Reliable in the sense that they won’t turn and burn, and can handle some wind aswell.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-23-2019, 03:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 190 Times in 122 Posts

I do agree that I should stay away from max weight on the discs I want to get above speed 10 with. I guess that is why I can get the Swirly-s CD3 at 169g to fly true to its numbers where I feel that I would need to beat the 175g in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I think the Pro Wraith is a better choice because of the plastic. The CD3 is only made in S & C-Line which will both be really stable for a while. A Pro Wraith will season soon to give you more workable distance & will pair well with your CD3.
I decided to throw the Shield stamped penned S-DD I got in one of my mystery boxes today and man did it impress! It flipped up and showed a mini turn resulting in 400' out of the box! This one will bomb even at 175g as soon as I hit a rock or two (probably will never happen since I only throw speed 11 in the open).
I also found and was given a beat in former beefy star Wraith that seemed to fly fairly equally (only two throws), unfortunately also at 175g but I believe I can get those up to speed 11 if I just commit a bit more.

I also threw multiple Tern and Shryke but, most likely dye to poor throws after bombing former mentioned Discs and irregular winds, just didn't get em to fly consistently.

Scarely I broke 400' with a Latitude Knight and a Katana my buddy brought, those however just does not sit well in my modified fan grip.
Could my grip be the issue? I get my FD's and beat in Explorer's out to 365', maybe I just have to practice ripping with the power grip?

Now I have a P-DD with a noteble dome heading my way, I have a feeling this will fly far once beaten in!

Thank you all again.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:47 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 635 Times in 546 Posts

One I would recommend is a Champion Valkyrie or a Star Valkyrie depending on what you need Pro is not bad either and G-star for discs faster then putter likeor putter shaped midrange discs is odd. Another disc I would recommend is a Destroyer but a lighter weight in the 165-169 weight set if you like the low domed or the Champion Destroyer. Lastly a Best is not bad but the Rim/wing is a bit deep for a driver unless Innova has changed the mold up a tad.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:31 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
One I would recommend is a Champion Valkyrie or a Star Valkyrie depending on what you need Pro is not bad either and G-star for discs faster then putter likeor putter shaped midrange discs is odd. Another disc I would recommend is a Destroyer but a lighter weight in the 165-169 weight set if you like the low domed or the Champion Destroyer. Lastly a Best is not bad but the Rim/wing is a bit deep for a driver unless Innova has changed the mold up a tad.
Valkyrie is a disc I always expected to like but never gave an honest chance do to veriety.
I have a Philo 2018 at 168g, it is awesome but not super long since it's so flat. Maybe if i beat that on in a bit...

So annoying that the Latitude Knight flew furthest for me, I wonder if I can find that exact stability in speed 12... I bet super expensive Destroyer is the only solution.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:58 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 135 Times in 75 Posts

Terns and Shryke’s are good, but I agree with the guy that said they’re not exactly “Control” discs. Usually Im throwin Scorps or Bosses, but I I still need my seasoned champ Wraith for really controlled distance shots. It likes to hyzer-flip to a lazer beam, glides for days. Drops flat and easy. Id recommened a seasoned Wraith for sure.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:48 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBaartman View Post
Terns and Shryke’s are good, but I agree with the guy that said they’re not exactly “Control” discs. Usually Im throwin Scorps or Bosses, but I I still need my seasoned champ Wraith for really controlled distance shots. It likes to hyzer-flip to a lazer beam, glides for days. Drops flat and easy. Id recommened a seasoned Wraith for sure.
Promising! I had the local tour tonight so I still haven't gotten the chance to really throw my beat in soft semi-flat Star that I found...

It got higher PLH than my glidey S-DD but it actually seems to want to glide for a moment on the few bad shots I got with it.

Anyone compared the Tern in different plastics? I know the I-dye is stable compared to the star but does it shine once beaten in?
How is the glide on the glows? Enough dome to give max distance?

Also to clarify I'm not looking for a control disc, that my CD3 does really straight and well. I'm looking for a max distance with decent control on a hyzerflip. I didn't think the Shryke would be up for the task since I only tried a fresh pop-top Star and it felt like it held the hyzer or turned out of control.
Now I bought a double eagle stamped one, gonna be real interesting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1315.jpg (76.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:44 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 8 Times in 1 Post

Need to work on your form homie. There is no perfect disc for what you want to do.

I would guess, if you’re maxed at 350-375’, you’re not getting power from your legs or not getting enough “whip”. I would record yourself, go over to the form section, and get some advice.

Any 11-13 speed disc that has some turn should all be able to go 400’+ with good form. All of them on a golf line.

Also, LEARN to throw distance shots. Big flex shots, big anny lines etc. sounds like the fun of disc golf line shaping is coming your way!

Old 06-25-2019, 11:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pask2155 View Post
Need to work on your form homie. There is no perfect disc for what you want to do.

I would guess, if you’re maxed at 350-375’, you’re not getting power from your legs or not getting enough “whip”. I would record yourself, go over to the form section, and get some advice.

Any 11-13 speed disc that has some turn should all be able to go 400’+ with good form. All of them on a golf line.

Also, LEARN to throw distance shots. Big flex shots, big anny lines etc. sounds like the fun of disc golf line shaping is coming your way!
I agree with all of this. You have to experiment with release angles and learn to throw different lines. Everything from hyzerflips to high anny releases. There isn't really a magic 400' driver, but certain molds will definitely put you in the right direction if you throw them properly.

I'm still saying Shryke. I don't think there's one mold out there I've thrown over 400' more times than the Shryke. I've also thrown about 15 of them. I don't really find the Shryke to be that touchy either. If I turn and burn it it usually means I'm torquing it over too much.

Niced: (1)