Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-01-2017, 10:00 PM

Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

I have to agree with OP. The damn Monarch is my nemesis. My buddy that I always play with used to swear by the monarch. He could throw it well on ever hole imaginable. He didn't throw any harder than I did. (We both also bagged destroyers, firebirds, etc.) so I decided to try one picked up a nice used one and went out to play. First hole at my local course is over water and I've never lost a disc to it, until that day. First drive with it and boom, gone forever.
Thinking it was a bad shot, a few months later I bought another one. Different course, different hole, first throw ever and boom. Gone forever. I gave up on throwing monarchs that day. I will never even think about buying another one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:10 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,811 Times in 724 Posts

One off season I really tried to give the Wolf an honest shot. I never quite got why you would need a flippy disc with no glide, but they make it so it has to have a use, right? I threw them on second shots after I'd thrown a Roc or XD and 90% of the time I'd think "good Lord this disc sucks." They had been making them for years, though. They really couldn't suck that bad, could they? I found myself compelled to find a use for it.

To summarize my findings: The Wolf is doggie-toy understable with no glide. Give it any juice and it turns and burns. If you power down on it enough to keep it from turning and burning it doesn't go anywhere. What the...? Who asked for that? "Hey, Mr. Dunipace? Can you design a midrange that is impossible to throw hard and drops like a brick if you finesse it? Thanks."

I kept thinking that there had to be something more to it, like a universal truth that will be revealed to you if you can figure out what in the World that disc is good for. I won't fall for the tired old "it's a good roller" line because you can beat a Cobra into a better roller than a Wolf in a half hour. There HAD to be some other reason for the Wolf.

All I ever figured out was that after I'd thrown the Wolf a little bit, I loved the Roc like I've never loved before. Maybe that's the reason for the Wolf. Throwing one makes you appreciate all the discs that fly better than it (which is going to be every disc in your bag. )
Old 08-01-2017, 10:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,096 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
I'll take it if you don't want it
She's long gone.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 355 Times in 265 Posts

Groove, Dominator, Vulcan, Wolf, Monarch, Dragon, Wahoo, any DX driver besides TeeBirds (they make great water/junk/possibility of losing discs) are all common and good answers. My truly worst disc experience is with an Opto River. It was flippy past the point of usefulness in 2 rounds. Actually almost all of the Lat 64 plastic I've thrown has beaten in really fast though my DD and WS stay fresh much longer.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 32
Niced 457 Times in 278 Posts

I tested out a 175g pop-top C-PD2 and it was the most impossible disc I've ever thrown. I know my way around FAF Firebirds but this thing was useless to me. Way too fast and ridiculously OS. Couldn't figure out what to do with it. Even on my strongest FH attempts it immediately wanted to fight off to the right and dig into the ground.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 83
Niced 319 Times in 216 Posts

I had a Lighting Discs Rubber Putter when I first started playing that was pretty special.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
And thumb your nose at everyone else (like myself, I suppose) whose bags are just too conventional. I love the idea of rockin' weird discs, and getting birdies with them.
I agree that throwing unconventional discs is cool. At one point in time I used a Champion Dart as my throwing putter. It was oddly satisfying getting weird looks from people when I pulled it out of my bag. It was money in tailwinds & on downhill shots. It just had a lot of dome so it wasn't great in any cross or headwind. So I took it out. I bagged a Champ Atlas for awhile. Some guys definitely gave me weird looks at tournaments. My point is I agree with you. There's just no way I could even find a weird niche in my bag for the Wolf. IMHO it was just bad at everything. Like at least the Dart was good in tailwinds. I bag almost exclusively popular/conventional molds. With the Pig being the only exception (still has a decent following). I think there's a reason you rarely (if ever) see a pro with an "unconventional disc". Sure a few might bag an unpopular mold but not something just straight up weird. I think the perfect example is the Wolf. I've never seen anyone with a high rating (much less a top pro) bag a Wolf. Most Innova pros bag Makos, beat Rocs & Stingrays (mostly "older" Masters age guys). So it's obvious other molds are clearly better. I assume your friend isn't trying to go pro. I think everyone has the right to throw whatever they want. I definitely would never tell someone to take a disc out of their bag that they enjoy throwing. I just believe certain molds are clearly worse than others that are in the same category.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 131 Times in 93 Posts

Opto Core. I have never had a disc fly so inconsistently. I just could never get a feel for how it was going to fly. Granted this was when I started but I didn't have the same problem with the Comet it was trying to replace. I was going through a Trilogy mode trying to make the bag all trilogy back then.

The other one for me was the Pig. I ordered a stiff Pig and was super excited to try it as it seemed to be a stability I would like (plus a lot of my family works with pigs). As soon as I held it once I knew it wouldn't work. It is the most uncomfortable disc I have ever tried.

Honorable mention, all low profile putters except the Zone.

To be fair, I have never tried a Groove or Wolf

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2017, 12:36 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 25 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Groove, Dominator, Vulcan, Wolf, Monarch, Dragon, Wahoo, any DX driver besides TeeBirds (they make great water/junk/possibility of losing discs) are all common and good answers. My truly worst disc experience is with an Opto River. It was flippy past the point of usefulness in 2 rounds. Actually almost all of the Lat 64 plastic I've thrown has beaten in really fast though my DD and WS stay fresh much longer.
There are some other DX drivers besides the T-Bird that are very good. DX Eagle X, DX Eagle L, DX Gazelle, DX Whippet (X and L) these are a few molds that were designed for DX plastic. And even the DX Thunderbird which isn't designed for DX still turned out very nice in my opinion. But i agreed a lot of high wide wing suff sucks.

Niced: (2)

Old 08-02-2017, 12:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,096 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by august dupree View Post
I had a Lighting Discs Rubber Putter when I first started playing that was pretty special.
Rubber Putter wasn't a bad putter. Used one for a long time back in the mid 90s.