Old 06-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.1
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 184 Times in 104 Posts

Whoops..accidentally submitted that before I was done.

Actually proposing, we are all kind of left in the dark. Are they trying to force the sport to disx down or something? I just do not get what point he was trying to make. If any.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 174
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Okay. I'll bite.

What exactly is the "sustainability issue"? Such a word is often used to describe bamboo flooring instead of oak flooring. I don't follow what is UN-sustainable about a high-speed driver and why it is an issue.

Did he mean "safety" instead? Did he mean we can't "continue" to use them 'cause he (personally) got himself an issue? Did he play WordGameMumboJumbo so our board would shake their head yes?

The implications seem profound. Not a fan.

BTW, Shawn. Thanks for asking questions. Don't stop.

Ron "I got hat's, too" Pittman
Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.3
Courses Played: 677
Niced 1,348 Times in 624 Posts

Sustainability is a more encompassing word than the other 'S' word that manufacturers and PDGA officials do not wish to utter.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
So the co-owner of the company that has pushed high-speed drivers more than any other, has a problem with high-speed drivers. WTF. Was he high?

Great idea! Lets take out the only thing that has "wow factor" out of the game.
i was told that dunipace was against the current standards from way back when to even allow the wide rim width. if the governing body says "x" is allowed and safe, then as a business they are almost forced to create something within those limits. if it was innova/dunipace forcing and begging for ultra wide rims it would be a different story.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 828
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

I think his point on sustainability is that it's getting harder and harder to find the land to put in courses that challenge advanced and pro level players. With high speed drivers it's fairly easy to throw 400', certainly easier than when the fastest thing on the market was a cheetah.

I'm not sure that going back in time is the answer, especially since it won't stop non-tournament players from throwing grooves and nukes (and it might very well lead to the end of PDGA sanctioned tournaments if TDs think they'll get a better turnout in an event that allows those drivers). That said, it would make a lot of the current and older courses more relevant if it was difficult to reach the 350-400' holes at the higher levels of competition again, and make it more possible to put in "championship level" courses on the generally smaller pieces of land we have available.

I'm only playing devil's advocate here, I don't think that the PDGA outlawing drivers at this point is going to be effective at all.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM

Courses Played: 74
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chuck was there he watched the presentation. It was really bizarre. Nobody asked any questions other than myself. Harold didn't give any reasons or explain anything other than saying heavy, sharp, wide wing discs are ruining the sport and this model is not sustainable. That's it! Motion made, passed, then they moved on.

So far all good questions but I don't have any answers???

I am bringing it up because a change like this can have a huge impact on the sport and other manufactures that have invested $100,000's in molds, plastic, and time that would just be thrown out the door. I don't know if some of the smaller newer companies could overcome a hit like that.

Again this is all I know and I just want players to know that this presentation happened and that there was a motion to look into it further? All manufacturers should have a voice along with the players.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 86
Niced 51 Times in 36 Posts

It is extremely odd and disturbing that he wants to make such a drastic change without having or wanting any data. Technical standards should be based on data and not one man's opinion especially in a case such as this.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 184 Times in 104 Posts

Just go ahead and make everything a Teebird, eh?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
It is extremely odd and disturbing that he wants to make such a drastic change without having or wanting any data. Technical standards should be based on data and not one man's opinion especially in a case such as this.
devils advocate because internet

did the pdga ever come up with data or reasoning for why they placed the rim width limit where it was/is/has been?

this thread and others make it seem as if a "players" association might be needed. a voice for the players.

f1 cars were faster back in the day, but they were too dangerous and have since been just fine. advances at the cost of safety don't mean much. especially when you are trying to go mainstream.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 828
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

FWIW, the motion was for there to be an investigation into the issue, not to immediately change the standards without any discussion.