Old 08-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 45
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Love OLF's. I have a beat 1.1 SOLF that has the most beautiful S-turn flight on flat release. It's my distance disc for sure. I have a newish 1.2 SOLF that is still pretty stable. Use it for headwinds and when I need to stable up. Best thing about SOLF's is that even my beat in 1.1 that has a lot of high speed turn, has a pretty healthy fade. They seem to lose high speed stability and retain the low speed stability. Awesome disc. Any info on SOLF to QOLF differences? I really like the way SOLF's beat in. Is it worth getting a QOLF?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2013, 11:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 514 Times in 318 Posts

QOLFs beat in slower and more predictably. I have a 1.1 QOLF I threw for 2.5 years and it's amazing how long it has held that sweet spot. I'm gonna bring it back out sometime soon.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 60
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bag: a MOLF (run: ?? very flat) starts good'n'stable, beats slowly for me. Has some turn now but I still use it in weaker headwinds, just with hyzer. In calm conditions I've gotten my longest golf lines (in the woods even) with this disc. Then I have a 1.1 "SOF" marked SOLF (d.e.a.d. flat) for holding the release angle 80% of the flight then fading. 1.2 pearly QOLF (domed) for overstable/most headwinds. After that I got to a true Firebird.

I have one "medium" dome (still pretty domey) 1.3 SOLF that flies nice overstable lines, but most of the 1.3 SOLFs are super tall/domey, very overstable in calm conditions and have too much drag to be useful in the wind. Buy 'em and pitch 'em so maybe we can get some nicer 1.4s!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 32
Niced 44 Times in 37 Posts

I bought one (1.2 SOLF) too much overlap with my Opto saint, (greatest disc in my bag)
So I gave it to my wife for a headwind/forehand driver
Old 08-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 184 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
I'm not sure how you would get an OLF to 350 if the Volt isn't already flying that far for you. Maybe a MOLF would go a tad farther than a Volt for you?
I don't use Volts for distance lines. I use it as a fairway driver when I need more length than a Teebird or a Patriot. My Volts are in Neutron, well-loved, so I use them for shot-shaping as well. If I was in a field I could probably get a Volt around 320-350....it's just not what I use it for.

And aren't OLF rims a little wider than Volts? I always thought they were around speed 10 or 11...Volt seems more like a 9 or so.

I digress....wasn't really looking for form critiques or any of that. My mechanics are sound, I'm just getting old and beat up and am thinking about dropping Destroyers. I just want something with a similar flight pattern that I can actually get up to it's speed potential, which I am struggling with on my Destroyers at the moment.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Big Country

I should also point I am very true with my distances. I'm not an "internet distance" kind of guy. I take most posters distances on here with a grain of salt....except MikeC of course :-)
Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post

And aren't OLF rims a little wider than Volts? I always thought they were around speed 10 or 11...Volt seems more like a 9 or so.
The rim on an OLF is a Firebird rim, so it's speed 9 that people call a speed 10 like the PD. To me, it's rim width that matters, and the OLF having a Firebird rim, it's 1.9cm. Compare that to a Beast that's 2.0cm, which I'm more inclined to call speed 10.

I carry a seasoned 1.1 QOLF, a newer 1.1 SOLF (trying to work it in), and a very reliable 1.2 QOLF for headwinds and shots where I need more fade.

In an effort to focus on technique a bit more, I've started throwing only Rivers, Teebirds, and OLFs for drivers. The 1.1 QOLF is my distance disc, and I think I get about the same distance you get Andy (I throw TBs 350, sometimes 375 max, as a baseline). I can get OLFs just out to 400, and out to 375' more easily. They're easy money for tight 350' shots that need to finish left too.

For max d, I throw them flat and they'll turn and fade. For a tighter, lower shot, I'll hyzer flip the beat 1.1 or just throw the newer 1.1 or the 1.2 flat for a nice laser.

I love these discs and highly recommend them, but there might be some overlap with your Volt. OLFs are definitely more in the "control driver" category.

And I either say Orion, or sometimes I'll say "oh ell eff." Pretty much nobody around here throws them, so they have no idea what I'm talking about anyway. Orion is easiest and works best.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM
* Ace Member *

OLF's and Volts don't do much that the other mold doesn't to be honest. You probably won't get extra D out of them...at least I noticed they usually go the same for me, with Volts being a touch longer on average (10' or so).

P Volts and 1.2 QOLFs are quite similar, with the P Volt having slightly beefier hss and less lss. 1.1 QOLFs are closer to Neutron Volts. Of course wear plays a huge role, especially with SOLFs and MOLFs. On average an s or m OLF should start in between P and V Volts stability wise, and break in to be a great versatile line shaper like a broken in N Volt. M's got flippy a little quick for my tastes.

Volts and OLFs are both speed 9's. None of them in any configuration are speed 10's.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Big Country

Thanks, Alcuin! Great post...really helped a lot.

My Volts have a decent amount of turn with some good fade...I'm looking more for a straight to fade disc. Any difference between the SOLF and the QOLF stability-wise?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

P Volt or 1.2 QOLF would be your best bet then. Most 1.2 SOLFs start straight to fade but I've had some start with -5 to -1 hss, but no 1.2 QOLF has had any significant high speed turn for me when new.