Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
I also find it funny that people have some sort of expectation that a group that makes rules like that will somehow come up with logical rules in other situations. The PDGA doesn't always make the best rules for the game, sometimes they prefer history over logic and what's clearly right. That is not a good way to grow a sport.

I've heard lots of people claim that "most" jump putts people perform are illegal, but I have seen almost zero proof of this. "I heard it from a guy" is not the same as proof. A picture of someone with their feet off the ground and the disc in the air is not proof. You need to have still shots of people with their plant foot off the ground and the disc in their hand to have actual proof.

Because of that, the best argument against jump putts is that it's nearly impossible to enforce. Rather than moving the circle out a ways (which probably isn't the best idea) or making all "falling throws" illegal (which is a down right terrible idea), why not word the stance rules in a way that makes falling putts and drives legal, but jump putts illegal. Have the requirement that you have a supporting point behind the lie long enough to detect it with the naked eye after release, but allow "falling" outside 30'? That would make following through OK and falling putts OK (which would barely change the jump putt technique) but make it much easier to enforce.
^THIS IS A GREAT POST.

but i don't see how you'll be able to distinguish between a jump putt and a falling putt...since the rules are really specific around a static supporting point, not necessarily the action of jumping or lunging forward.

My point still is regardless of this being a discussion or formal rules submission, is whatt is the core issue the pDGA is trying to solve? Seems they just want to get rid of jump putting for the sake of getting rid of it. I get the smoking rules change...to attracted younger athletes (though they still have beer sponsors, that's another thread). I don't get how this is helping anyone but some pros that are tiered of getting beat by jump putters.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 716 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger View Post
^THIS IS A GREAT POST.

but i don't see how you'll be able to distinguish between a jump putt and a falling putt...since the rules are really specific around a static supporting point, not necessarily the action of jumping or lunging forward.

My point still is regardless of this being a discussion or formal rules submission, is whatt is the core issue the pDGA is trying to solve? Seems they just want to get rid of jump putting for the sake of getting rid of it. I get the smoking rules change...to attracted younger athletes (though they still have beer sponsors, that's another thread). I don't get how this is helping anyone but some pros that are tiered of getting beat by jump putters.
I don't think there's a core issue that the PDGA is trying to solve at all. You're taking a topic brought up by an individual, and trying to make it a PDGA-wide issue. The result of this individual's attempt to bring it to the rules committee was a flat dismissal of the idea.

THE PDGA ISN'T TRYING TO CHANGE ANYTHING AT ALL REGARDING JUMP PUTTS
Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 13
Niced 33 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger View Post
I don't get how this is helping anyone but some pros that are tiered of getting beat by jump putters.
Do we really have any conclusive proof the "jump putt" really confers an advantage? If so, how is that advantage unfair? Is the advantage conferred because the thrower has developed the skill so they are better at it than someone else? If so, how is this different from someone who has taken the time to gain an advantage on their drives or approach shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I don't think there's a core issue that the PDGA is trying to solve at all. You're taking a topic brought up by an individual, and trying to make it a PDGA-wide issue.
We know this was brought up by an individual, and not PDGA wide, but again, this is a discussion board and we can discuss things like this.

Quote:
The result of this individual's attempt to bring it to the rules committee was a flat dismissal of the idea.
I'll take your word for it and hope you are correct. Some of the ideas in that thread were just too far, IMHO.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
Do we really have any conclusive proof the "jump putt" really confers an advantage? If so, how is that advantage unfair? Is the advantage conferred because the thrower has developed the skill so they are better at it than someone else? If so, how is this different from someone who has taken the time to gain an advantage on their drives or approach shots?

We know this was brought up by an individual, and not PDGA wide, but again, this is a discussion board and we can discuss things like this.

I'll take your word for it and hope you are correct. Some of the ideas in that thread were just too far, IMHO.
Thank you for supporting an open discussion.

To answer your question of "fairness", some players feel that those skilled in jump putts have an unfair advantage. I disagree with those players as I feel it's an advantage, but completely fair. For me personally, It's no different that the player than throws a 400+ft tomahawk, which i can't throw...so should i start petitioning the pDGA to change the rules to allow only backhand throws?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 142
Niced 716 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
I have no problem with the discussion of things like this, as long as the context is clear that it's simply a hypothetical scenario. My issue was with the portion of mudslinger's post that I bolded in my reply. He is trying to portray this as some conspiracy that the PDGA as an organization has some kind of agenda they are trying to sneak by the rest of us. There is no conspiracy to eliminate the jump putt or really to make any significant modifications to the stance rules as we now know them.

Quote:
From the original poster at the PDGA discussion, which is what stirred this whole thing up..."None of these have reached a proposal stage yet". It's just one guy spitballing ideas, nothing more.

When a similar proposal of eliminating the 10-meter circle was actually brought before the rules committee and discussed as part of the 2011 rule book update process, this was the official result: "9/5: No interest has been expressed. Issue closed." And since there's no evidence of such changes in the 2013 rule book update (found here), it's safe to say that the issue continues to be closed as far as the PDGA Rules Committee is concerned. No agendas. No conspiracies.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Should be able to jump putt from anywhere or not be able to jump putt at all!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 167
Niced 18 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
That's my feeling, too. One argument is that jump-putts are foot faults that are too close to call. I'm inclined to think if they're too close to call, they're too close to worry about.
^^^this

Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think we should make getting birdies illegal since I have a hard time obtaining them.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default LUDACRIS!

Yeah this is major BS! Some players like myself who cant throw it far really depend on banging jump putts to score. If this rule were to go into effect I might as well quit trying to play disc golf seriously because my game really depends on my jump putt (which I usually make between 2-5 per round)

Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 13
Niced 33 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
There is no conspiracy to eliminate the jump putt or really to make any significant modifications to the stance rules as we now know them.
Well, no conspiracy to eliminate the jump putt or modify the stance rules....but they're up to something dagnabit