Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 282 Times in 166 Posts

Absolutely one of the most talented of the "young guns." And up to that elite 1030/1040+ range at an early age gives him great promise for a successful future.

He has two things he'll have to deal with to be in that top five ever conversation that the OP was implying. #1-- health. That's what's derailed Nikko Locastro, more than his "skills plateauing." At full health Nikko's one of the best today, and a threat to win any major. He got to that record 1046 rating also. #2 -- the fact that there will be at at least 5 or 6 "young guns" just like him for the next 15 yrs if they all continue to play. Ricky is what,... 19??? Schusterick is 20, Nikko is 24, McBeast is 22, and Devon Owens is 22. Cam Colglazier is 20 and the most improved of them all and having only played about 3 yrs, and we'll see what David Wiggins (17 or 18) ends up being; Cale (29), Nate Doss (27) and big Jerm (27) are "old men" in this conversation. And that assumes that no others rise to that level. Heck there might be a current 10-year old is growing up like they did right now, and 7-8 years from now he's just as good.

So yes, he's great; but 2 of the next 5 Worlds, and 5 or 6 overall??? He does that and he WILL be one of the best ever, especially while beating that competition. But that's true of anyone. Nate Doss is currently 2nd all time with three Worlds open titles, and only two others beside the Champ even have two.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ricky's skillset is amazing for sure. He is my favourite player to watch.
However, looking at him play, I wonder how long his body could keep the pace. Players like Will S., Paul M. seems to have a throw motion more suited for long term play. Hopefully, I'm talking non sense though, cause I want to see Ricky dominate for several years.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wysocki is the next Climo.
I said it first.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 140 Times in 90 Posts

Guess I should have gone to the Patapsco Picnic this year after all. As others have stated his is young and is body is still growing. Right now he has a body type I would qualify as "lanky". How will his body type change as he grows and how will that affect his game?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 43
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

he totally carried my fantasy disc golf teams for 2 years

but really, i look forward to seeing what he can accomplish as well.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 101
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

A big part, to me, is how able will they be able to depend on Disc Golf for consistent income? THere have been a lot of great players that have decided to have professions that delivered a more consistent income and aren't able to travel as much.

Sarah Stanhope Cunningham is a great example. She's a high school science teacher that only traveles in the summer months and doesnt compete against the top women but two or three times a year. If she had the opportunity to travel more, I think you would see more title next to her name.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

He didn't come out of nowhere. He had a goal as an intermediate player to be the best in the game. Had people like Brad Schick and Tyler Horne to help him in his early days. Has a great head, a great attitude and a very supportive family. My friends and I knew the first time we saw him as an INT that he was going to be a world champ. It's coming.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 63
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think until someone has a Worlds win and a USDGC win, it'll be tough to crown anyone the "Next Climo"....he has neither, so despite being a great young player with loads of potential, i think he has to step up in these tournaments. Which will be tough with all the young talent around him.

It's like QB's in the NFL....you aren't in best ever conversation unless you win the big one (Worlds)
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 109
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Remember Dan Marino? Football was a bad analogy for this lol. The greatest Tennis and Golfers of all time have all won at least 1 major. In this case, it is all on Wysocki. He holds his own fate since this isn't a team sport. If he wants to be the best, he has to win the best.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyroberts18 View Post
Remember Dan Marino? Football was a bad analogy for this lol. The greatest Tennis and Golfers of all time have all won at least 1 major. In this case, it is all on Wysocki. He holds his own fate since this isn't a team sport. If he wants to be the best, he has to win the best.
Correct. He has proven he can win, just has to win the biggies. But I see him doing it.