Old 08-19-2019, 02:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,720 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post
Are you willing to share the fix? If not, or personal, I understand.
I didn't detail it since I didn't think it would be all that relevant because it likely has nothing to do with Cat's issue or anyone else's. I have no problem with sharing though.

I realized that I was leaning forward too much in my set up. I was starting with my waist bent and my head and shoulders way out in front of my feet. Like I was trying to shorten the distance to the target. In doing that, I was occasionally out of balance (leaning too far forward) and I was subconsciously trying to compensate by popping up and screwing up my release point, resulting in high and/or left side misses. It wasn't like I was falling over, so I didn't feel unbalanced as I threw. It was a very subtle thing.

All I did to fix it was incorporate a check into my routine that my head and shoulders are directly above or slightly behind my marker rather than out in front when I set up (I stand up straighter, essentially). Otherwise, my putt is the same as it was before, only with fewer seemingly inexplicable and unpredictable misses high and/or left.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2019, 02:30 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,179 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
She switched to push putting in the off-season and came out on a tear, but it seems like she's fallen off a cliff lately. It almost has to be mental
I don't think it's just the 'yips', which in golf ball golf is often a longer-term thing. And even in Worlds and the past few tournaments, she's hit some great longer putts. It's been those short putts, literally near-drop-ins, that she's inexplicably missed.

As a side note: I'm not saying this is good or bad, just making the observation: during the last round at Worlds, Paige P did some really serious fist-pumping after making some clutch putts. PP normally does not show that much emotion. I had the distinct feeling she was doing that to intimidate/annoy Cat after that little altercation a few weeks back when Cat revenge-called Paige for (a much smaller) fist pump. And that may have added to Cat's mental game collapse as the round progressed to its conclusion....

Niced: (1)
Old 08-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 59
Niced 137 Times in 80 Posts

I predict Cat switches putters and goes straddle spin for everything inside 20’. I think s big change is needed to refocus to purchase relearn better form after a decent break.

Kevin and Matty-O would happily advise on the spin to win tap in.

My advice, besides quality practice, develop a putting routine and stick too it.

Last edited by 7ontheline; 08-19-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 115
Niced 287 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I don't think it's just the 'yips', which in golf ball golf is often a longer-term thing. And even in Worlds and the past few tournaments, she's hit some great longer putts. It's been those short putts, literally near-drop-ins, that she's inexplicably missed.

As a side note: I'm not saying this is good or bad, just making the observation: during the last round at Worlds, Paige P did some really serious fist-pumping after making some clutch putts. PP normally does not show that much emotion. I had the distinct feeling she was doing that to intimidate/annoy Cat after that little altercation a few weeks back when Cat revenge-called Paige for (a much smaller) fist pump. And that may have added to Cat's mental game collapse as the round progressed to its conclusion....
The ball golf yips are basically an inability to make short putts, which is why I made the reference.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-19-2019, 03:52 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,280 Times in 309 Posts

People who impose tremendous expectations upon themselves and who grew up in a family environment in which even the slightest failure is met with scorn, and achievements are not celebrated, often feel great personal shame at doing less than perfectly out of all proportion to the expectations of the people around them, and will flee from attention as soon as possible after a failure.

Uh, so I have heard. . .

=\

edit: Just to be clear, I don't know the first thing about her life. I'm just saying I recognize the symptoms. From hard experience.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Nova P; 08-19-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 885 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
I had the distinct feeling she was doing that to intimidate/annoy Cat after that little altercation a few weeks back when Cat revenge-called Paige for (a much smaller) fist pump.
wait...is there a rule about celebration routines after a throw in??????
Old 08-19-2019, 04:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,032 Times in 849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
People who impose tremendous expectations upon themselves and who grew up in a family environment in which even the slightest failure is met with scorn, and achievements are not celebrated, often feel great personal shame at doing less than perfectly out of all proportion to the expectations of the people around them, and will flee from attention as soon as possible after a failure.

Uh, so I have heard. . .

=\

edit: Just to be clear, I don't know the first thing about her life. I'm just saying I recognize the symptoms. From hard experience.
I was talking with one of the top female players over the weekend and her take mirrors this to a large degree- basically that Catrina is too intense and that leads to difficulties in getting it back together when things don't go well.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 940 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post

Uh, so I have heard. . .

=\

So she exhibits symptoms of someone who grew up in a family environment in which even the slightest failure is met with scorn, and achievements are not celebrated, often feel great personal shame at doing less than perfectly out of all proportion to the expectations of the people around them, and will flee from attention as soon as possible after a failure?

Interesting.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,179 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSyl View Post
The ball golf yips are basically an inability to make short putts, which is why I made the reference.
Agreed, and I was not trying to contradict you in any way.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:29 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 226 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
after that little altercation a few weeks back when Cat revenge-called Paige for (a much smaller) fist pump. And that may have added to Cat's mental game collapse as the round progressed to its conclusion....
That was for smacking the basket (like an atta boy slap not a smack the **** out of it slap) not for fist pumping.