Old 09-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendryxdisc View Post
I see you have built your bags around Rivals. I throw pretty hard and average my fairways in the 380-400 range. I am a little reserved about getting the icon because it does beat so quickly and turns a bit easier. What line up do you throw?
I suggested that combo because it is what works for me... May not be for everyone. The pinnacle rival I use is a 172 with zero turn and decent fade, flies very similar to the 11x tbird I used to use. My icon rival is also 172, however I can hyzer flip to straight with fade, bend it right with some fade etc. It's a little more work-able for golf lines. And my icon patriot is a 174, just laserbeam straight with no fade on a hyzer flip. Also use it for big turnovers/anyhyzers and rollers. So I can hit any golf shot I need from 350-~400+ with these fairways.

And to me icon is like champystar, not gummy at all but very grippy. Doesnt wear in as fast as star. Dunno if that is a benefit or not for people cycling, just what I've noticed during the wear cycle.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 17 Times in 13 Posts

If the icon does not wear in as fast as star, I dont care if it doesn't benefit cyclers it benefits me hahaha. how many of each disc, in each plastic do you carry? I have thrown a max weight sparkle rival and it was a little flippy is the icon rival a little more hss than the sparkle plastic?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
If the icon does not wear in as fast as star, I dont care if it doesn't benefit cyclers it benefits me hahaha. how many of each disc, in each plastic do you carry? I have thrown a max weight sparkle rival and it was a little flippy is the icon rival a little more hss than the sparkle plastic?
Yea I would say it is certainly more durable than esp/star as far as wear goes. Right now I carry two first run Icon Rivals, a seasoned one and a fresh one both 172. I also carry a first run pinnacle Rival that's 173g pretty fresh so it has the most fade out of all 3. And I'm carrying one really seasoned first run Icon Patriot 174g for anything the Rival can't do, mostly just straight hyzer flips and annyhyzers that won't fade out.

As far as the sparkle plastic goes, I'm not really sure haven't tried it out. However no Rival I have thrown has been "flippy" at all. Just dead straight with fade or a little turn out of my seasoned Icon. Also my pinnacle will hold a hyzer for an entire flight.

All of them are flat, grippy and super stiff. Just the way I like my discs to feel! Kudos to legacy for making some awesome plastic!

Last edited by Jlee; 09-15-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Birdie Member

Yeah I hear ya the plastic is redonk! Thanks for all the input. I don't want to sound repetitive but I am just trying to find out what everybody is throwing so I can build myself the best bag. I think I am leaning towards 2-175 pinnacle rivals, 1-175 icon rival and 1-175 icon patriot. That line up sounds like I should have most lines covered.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Yeah I hear ya the plastic is redonk! Thanks for all the input. I don't want to sound repetitive but I am just trying to find out what everybody is throwing so I can build myself the best bag. I think I am leaning towards 2-175 pinnacle rivals, 1-175 icon rival and 1-175 icon patriot. That line up sounds like I should have most lines covered.
No problem! Hopefully I helped a little haha but everyone throws different and has different preferences. If you live in Sacramento go to the Rocklin final 9 and I'm sure Bruce or Rj will let you throw them in the field right there, they are awesome dudes. And I concur that setup should work out fine for you once the plastic starts to season up! I also want to get a legend Rival eventually but they are $$ and hard to come by. I think my next one will be an excel to beat up and check the wear cycle. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

And we throw pretty similar discs. I throw Forces, a Z Surge, Firebirds, Rival/Patriot, Wasps, Comets and Zone/Challengers haha. Really similar bag setup. Hopefully they work out for you!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Birdie Member

My buddy up here in Oregon has a legend rival, it feels sick but he hasn't thrown it yet. Ill have to check it out I play Rocklin DGC all the time. I also like to go to the final 9 sports at the shady oaks dgc in Orangevale, they have a nice selection of discs. Nice yeah I have been throwing Discraft for few years now, I did it just to be different from a lot of the other guys and it stuck haha. But Legacy's fairways are too good not to throw.