Old 03-22-2019, 03:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 169 Times in 105 Posts
Default Plasti-Dip

The nonbreathable plastic liner under the nylon rainfly of my Discraft Tournament bag started cracking and flaking off. I was worried that if the plastic wore off, the nylon material on top would go to crap (like come unwoven), not to mention start leaking like a colander. So my first thought was to use some of my kid's rubber cement--which would probably work fine if I were attaching some plastic film like a tarp to it-- but as a durable topcoat, uh uh.
So then I found a can of plastidip, shook it up, and poured it on and spread it around with a tongue depressor. Worked great! Still flexible, completely waterproof again, and structurally together, no more flaking off bits of plastic underlayer.

Anyone else use this stuff on their bags? My bag has a PVC bottom layer, but I'd totally put it on the outside of a regular cloth bag if you were looking for a way to waterproof it...
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:58 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 792 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
The nonbreathable plastic liner under the nylon rainfly of my Discraft Tournament bag started cracking and flaking off. I was worried that if the plastic wore off, the nylon material on top would go to crap (like come unwoven), not to mention start leaking like a colander. So my first thought was to use some of my kid's rubber cement--which would probably work fine if I were attaching some plastic film like a tarp to it-- but as a durable topcoat, uh uh.
So then I found a can of plastidip, shook it up, and poured it on and spread it around with a tongue depressor. Worked great! Still flexible, completely waterproof again, and structurally together, no more flaking off bits of plastic underlayer.

Anyone else use this stuff on their bags? My bag has a PVC bottom layer, but I'd totally put it on the outside of a regular cloth bag if you were looking for a way to waterproof it...
Yeah my Tournament bag did the same went to just the woven in some spots. what I did for a while was use duct tape with some cement glue on it to keep it open until the tape came off. However after 10 years in mid 2017 the bag started falling apart so I got the backpack I use now. The backpack I use now is better. If I went back to traditional bag I would get the new Tournament bags and add the Outcast backpack straps I used on my old Tournament bag to have a backpack that also is a traditional single strap bag to save time putting on the bag for a few times I just need to quickly go from spot to spot. Currently my Discraft Tournament bag is holding my spare discs of Impact and Stalkers as the molds are oop.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 03-23-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:50 PM

Courses Played: 22
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

That stuff is great. I used foam brushes to apply the paint on dip for my grip bag that had a the outside bottom corners fraying. I glued the ends of the torn fabric and added 4 coats of dip, waiting for each coat to dry before reapplying. It’s tough, cleans easily, and extended the life of my bag.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-26-2019, 04:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 8
Niced 71 Times in 42 Posts

Same principle but I used GE Silicon 2 and worked it inti the nylon wearing gloves. That’s been too many years ago to remember when but It’s still holding up. I expect your fix will too.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 18
Niced 169 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken View Post
Same principle but I used GE Silicon 2 and worked it inti the nylon wearing gloves. That’s been too many years ago to remember when but It’s still holding up. I expect your fix will too.

I actually repaired ski gloves with the ge silicone 2. They look a little funky, but the repairs have largely held up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-06-2019, 12:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 537 Times in 344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noseph View Post
That stuff is great. I used foam brushes to apply the paint on dip for my grip bag that had a the outside bottom corners fraying. I glued the ends of the torn fabric and added 4 coats of dip, waiting for each coat to dry before reapplying. It’s tough, cleans easily, and extended the life of my bag.
I never thought of foam brushes before, this I'm sure works better than the cheap fiber brush I used. No brushstrokes for one...

Old 08-10-2019, 03:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 116
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

I brushed on some plastidip on an Innova Standard bag about 9 years ago and it's holding up strong. Little pieces of dip are coming off the corners but not bad. The best part was not picking up snow or mud on the bottom when playing in bad conditions