Old 05-01-2019, 07:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 71 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
When playing in the wind one should neither wear a skirt nor a kilt.
Speak for yourself. I like the feel of the wind on a warm day. It tickles just right.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-01-2019, 07:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,543 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken View Post
Very often you can use the wind to your advantage. You have to decide whether to ride it or fight it. If you want to ride it, throw so that wind sees the bottom of your disc. And exactly the opposite for fighting it. The US/OS bit works for head and tail winds. I carry a very OS driver just for headwinds. My US driver works with tail winds and it is also good for sharp annys. HTH

BTW My first ace came with the help of a tail wind. I nailed a pin that I couldn't have reached without the help.
This. Letting the wind get under the disc---or not---is a key factor.

For the O.P.'s specific question of the crosswind on drives, you generally don't want the wind to get under the disc. Unless it's a hole with a turn, and you want the wind to carry it around that turn.

We have a big downhill hole that's prone to strong crosswinds. It's wide enough to give some room to start out a little bit on the headwind side of the fairway, and fade back to the center. I throw a fairly stable disc with a slight anny tilt so the wind hits the top; being fairly stable, it won't turnover. Thrown RHBH with a right-to-left wind, it holds a fairly straight line right of the center of the fairway, then fades back.

But crosswinds and, particularly, the 3/4 wind (between headwind and crosswind) are extra challenges, no matter what. There's less room for error; turn it over a little too much, or tilt it a little too much where the wind gets under it, and the wind takes over.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
Awesome! Most of my discs are stable to understable but I do have a champion banshee I can bag for those shots.
For straight headwinds or straight tailwinds, think "how fast will the disc think it's going?".

For example if you have a 10MPH headwind, the disc will think you gave it to someone to throw who has 10MPH more arm speed than you. If you do that with an understable disc...it'll probably turn all the way over and burn out. There are differences of course plus the wind will eat up distance potential too, and is NOT forgiving of bad nose angle or wobble.

For a tailwind, think that you backed off by 10MPH. With a driver then you may not be able to get it up to speed like normal and it may fade out way earlier than you think. For very heavy tailwinds I'll disc down to a midrange pretty often and get at least as much distance as my driver would have gotten before being slammed down, but without the fade.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 27
Niced 459 Times in 282 Posts

Lots of good advice in this thread. If the OP would like to read a Master's thesis level analysis by Ron Convers, it can be found here:
https://www.discgolf.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html

Old 05-01-2019, 11:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 212
Niced 286 Times in 170 Posts

Order one of these in a mold you use.

You don't have to remember; just read.

https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Ron-Con...Max-p/3328.htm

Niced: (2)
Old 05-02-2019, 12:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Niced 2,279 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Order one of these in a mold you use.

You don't have to remember; just read.

https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Ron-Con...Max-p/3328.htm
I live by this

But a word to the inexperienced:
This guide assumes the disc is thrown RHBH (or LHFH for that matter). You need to reverse the crosswind info for LHBH and RHFH throws.

It all about whether the wind hits the bottom, or the top, of the flight plate. That's why in strong wind, I try to throw flat (no hyzer/annie), and choose a stability to let the disc do the work.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 05-02-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:10 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 792 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
Saturday I was out doing some field work and having some major issues with wind. I think it was 20mph with stronger gusts. The field ran north and south with the wind out of the west.
My RHFH kept getting caught but my buddy's LHBH didn't seem to fair all that bad. I DID keep trying to anhyser flip so I'm wondering if I need to stay perfectly flat.

Just looking for some communal knowledge on wind stuff. Any thoughts on weight/plastic differences?

Thanks!
I use the heaviest weight disc I can throw well in the wind for the disc mold and disc type it is, putter, midrange, fairway, driver. most putters are max or near max weight then I tend to with midrange use 175 grams, drivers and most fairway and drivers are 170-172 grams with exception of max Distance more OS discs with speed 11 on up as those I go upper 160 gram weights and then DX Dragons are always 150 grams.

Other tip is I had to learn how to throw low to avoid the big gusts that take a disc a long ways away.

Pierre South Dakota is one of the windiest city in South Dakota, Mitchell might be winder.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 05-02-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 8
Niced 71 Times in 42 Posts

Years ago Blake T had a great wind article on discgolfreview. I wish I could find it.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 45
Niced 584 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken View Post
Years ago Blake T had a great wind article on discgolfreview. I wish I could find it.
Here it is... https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...gthewind.shtml

Old 05-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 77 Times in 38 Posts

Thank you all for your replies. I would LOVE to have a wind disc like that. Just as a reminder of how I need to handle it.

Now I need to go out there an practice it.