Old 07-11-2019, 07:16 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 244 Times in 166 Posts

I know from experience you can strong arm out to 375'. Once you learn to throw from your balance, weight shift, lower body, it becomes so much easier. You activate the upper body for sure, bit you have fundemental blocks to build. More videos and critique will help you than all this chatter.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2019, 08:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,894 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
I know from experience you can strong arm out to 375'. Once you learn to throw from your balance, weight shift, lower body, it becomes so much easier. You activate the upper body for sure, bit you have fundemental blocks to build. More videos and critique will help you than all this chatter.
Bruce Lee - "The highest technique you can achieve is to have no technique."

Niced: (1)
Old 07-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Par Member

Niced 26 Times in 19 Posts

So went out after work in the super hot sun to get some throwing in, and some video. It went alright. I finally am starting to get a sort of long, fluid, heavier arm feel and a lot less strong arming. I think tweaking my rotator cuff muscles a few days ago actually helped me. I couldn't strong arm it if I wanted too or I'd really hurt my shoulder.

Was mostly trying to just focus on keeping my arm dead and whip it through, which happened a little. Had some throws in the 350-380 range, but most were in the 300-320. Not good. All sorts of other things going wrong. All the same stupid stuff.

And now, for some reason, my rear foot had this super weird thing going on where my toes lifted off the ground while I was pushing forward?!?! Soooo weird and have no idea how I was doing that. Just noticed it watching the video. Looks bizarre and obviously not helping anything.

Same problem of the disc riding up my back arm and coming from high on my shoulder down, then bouncing right around the hit to back up, and the disc coming out nose up.

Same stunted low follow through that I have no idea how to correct. I tried some shots where I literally kept the disc lower and threw to a higher point and around and the discs just went 150' maybe, super high and WAY left.

The ONLY thing that was decent tonight was the accuracy was much better than normal. Had a few throws that were my farthest ever. And I got my arm to feel a little more loose and fluid, and not so tight. As well as letting the gravity of my body movement whip my arm around. But still have all sorts of horrible things going on, that no matter HOW hard I try, no matter how much I read and understand, it isn't getting any better and have no idea how to fix them. Not even going to ask, as you'll just post the same videos you've posted a thousand times before I guess I just have to be resigned to the fact that this is not going to go well, it's going to take forever, and there will be little to no progress from week to week.

I did play a fun little game in the beginning though I think I'll start doing more often. Instead of just throwing my putters to the middle of the field, I decided to throw from the goal posts, to a group of trees about 180-210' out. Then from there to the other goal post. Then to the bleachers, etc. It was fun trying to get it as close as possible with just 3 shots, and also try to throw the disc there on different angles. Hyzer's, flat, Anhyzers, low, higher, etc. It was fun and made the session a tiny bit more enjoyable.

Password for videos: discgolf

Old 07-12-2019, 10:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Says pages doesn't exist.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:05 AM
Par Member

Fixed it, sorry
Old 07-13-2019, 12:28 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 232 Times in 177 Posts

Yeah that's what I have issue with: coming off the rear heel instead of toes. The times I've fixed that momentarily I was throwing mids to 300'+ with what felt like little effort.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Pre shot swings - your arm is swinging back and forth without your body turning or heels moving/weight shifting. Hugging the crap out of yourself in the backswing.

Watch my heels and shifting totally from one leg to the other leg and how everything flows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m56s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KVWfUkQ3s#t=3m14s

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 11.35.14 PM.jpg (95.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 07-13-2019, 12:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

Note how in those pics SW showed, he is one the leading leg for each movement. 100% on left leg for the backswing, then 100% right leg for the forward swing. You are on both feet and balanced between both feet in both of those images.

I'll think about your swing plane a bit to see if I can feel what you're doing, but what was working for me recently was to try to copy my golf swing and backswing back and forth until it felt like a lefty swing...don't use an interlocking grip. When the pendulum feels ok moving to your right side, then switch your hands so that you are swinging like a lefty golf forward swing...the difference is in how you anticipate the swing and are completely to your right leg vs. a righty backswing where it's setting you up to move to your left.

Basically, feel that smooth pendulum that is upward and out/away from you to your right side. Feel how it works as a lefty golfer. Then change that to a one handed swing, I did it by gripping partway up a baseball bat. But really try to feel this golf swing arc that you know and trust in your righty swing, how it goes up and away from you. Doing this helped me find the arc and then once I found it I could counterweight it with my hips/body through the swing.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-13-2019, 02:54 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Yeah that's what I have issue with: coming off the rear heel instead of toes. The times I've fixed that momentarily I was throwing mids to 300'+ with what felt like little effort.
Yeah, I don't know why or where this is coming from all of a sudden. I've never done this! I'm always either on my toes, or at the worst, flat footed for a second. Never on my heels with my toes coming up. Sooo strange. It may just be because I was super hot, tired, and really exhausted after a long week at work. Plus it was the first time doing the 3 step X step. I was trying the longer 4 step last week and didn't have this problem. I'll get that sorted out next time I go out for sure. Thanks, and good luck to you as well. You're making good progress and throwing well! 300' with a ROC is impressive!

Old 07-13-2019, 02:58 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Pre shot swings - your arm is swinging back and forth without your body turning or heels moving/weight shifting. Hugging the crap out of yourself in the backswing.

Watch my heels and shifting totally from one leg to the other leg and how everything flows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m56s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KVWfUkQ3s#t=3m14s

I know. I'm not trying to do anything other than just move around a bit pre swing, stay loose. I'm not trying to do a drill or get correct weight transfer or anything. I can weight transfer fine when I want. Just not so good during the actual throw, haha. I can do the drills great. But their not transferring to the throwing... as always very frustrating.

My problems are in the throw. I can't figure out how to keep my arm from riding up my back arm and get a more flat/around my body swing plane with a normal follow through. I'll just keep working on it and throwing more. Thanks