#51  
Old 07-24-2019, 08:56 PM
JedV's Avatar
JedV JedV is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cascadia
Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,634
Niced 117 Times in 60 Posts
Default

As a grumpy old man, I'm ideologically opposed to Facebook.

Also why I'm out of the loop.
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 PM
Blobfish's Avatar
Blobfish Blobfish is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 564
Niced 169 Times in 105 Posts
Default

FWIW, the sol (last year's ace race disc) was "molded off the Breeze" (from the Ace Race FB page), and the sol glides quite a bit. I dunno, I'm actually pretty excited to see what the eclipse and hawk can do. What plastic are you guys hoping for? Personally, I'm hoping for z-flx
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-24-2019, 11:50 PM
broomerang broomerang is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: OH
Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,098
Niced 709 Times in 291 Posts
Default

I bagged the Z Hawk for a year before the buzzz came out and took over my bag along with the rest of the people who don't worship the Roc god. The Hawk is nothing to be excited about.

If they weren't going to bring back old school molds from the beginning 1980-2000 they could have at least have brought back a dozen other much more popular molds from recent history than the Hawk and the Wildcat. Bleh.

At least the eclipse makes some sense. It had its moment in history and it's going to be *fun* to throw. Fun if you've never thrown one before and get a kick out of that sort of thing. Fun to watch if you played 20 years ago and already know what it's about. I'm not saying its a bad disc, it's just totally different than modern drivers.

Outside of the eclipse in a premium plastic these are probably just the 2 most plentiful discs they had laying around the warehouse. Innova should run one of these events and hand out the random garbage they haven't cleared out of the factory store in the last 10 years too. No really they should. Or at least recycle them for pellets at this point.

It will probably be the first Ace race I've done in 10 years just so I can watch people try to throw the eclipse. I guess they got my money after all.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-25-2019, 12:25 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,231
Niced 2,579 Times in 934 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
I bagged the Z Hawk for a year before the buzzz came out and took over my bag along with the rest of the people who don't worship the Roc god. The Hawk is nothing to be excited about.
When Discraft tried to run old molds in the then-new Z plastic there were at least three notable failures that resulted in really overstable, glideless turds; The Magnet, Hawk and Cyclone. All three were good 90's discs that just did not translate to Z plastic at all. Nate Doss threw Z Hawks because they were 100% power player discs. If you didn't have a Doss-like cannon, there was no reason to bother.

ESP Cyclones were a good, workable driver. Whatever Hellish demon possessed the Z Cyclone was exercised from the ESP Cyclone.

I don't expect that the Ace Race Hawk will be in Z since Discraft already knows that they will be glideless turds. They will probably be ESP or Jawbreaker or something like that and hopefully fly closer to the workable Hawks of the 90's, which flew a lot like a Cobra. As I recall you could get one over but they had a strong fade back at the end, so S curve Cobraish kinda flight.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-26-2019, 02:09 PM
ragmanXL's Avatar
ragmanXL ragmanXL is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 32.8
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 47
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts
Default

The only Hawk I have left is just a solid blue but it doesn't actually say what kind of plastic it is. The Eclipse I used to have got lost in a lake if I remember correctly. Those were pretty much what I started playing with back then. The Wildcat sounds like something I wouldn't be interested in. Unless I can find an ace race in Wisconsin or Minnesota that match my days I won't be working I will definitely try to get to one even though I never played a tournament ever.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-31-2019, 11:20 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,635
Niced 1,167 Times in 672 Posts
Default

So I now have a stack of 5 pro d Hawks. Let friends throw one of them tonight. 2 of them bought the last 2 Discgolfcenter.com had.
This disc is amazing... It's almost as awesome as a Comet....and there are no Ace Races close enough for me to go to in Sept. I expect to be paying inflated prices for a couple someone doesn't want.

Has the plastic been anounced for it? I think this disc would be awesome in Ti.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:57 PM
Shutrbug Shutrbug is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Central Alabama
Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 73
Niced 39 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
So I now have a stack of 5 pro d Hawks. Let friends throw one of them tonight. 2 of them bought the last 2 Discgolfcenter.com had.
This disc is amazing... It's almost as awesome as a Comet....and there are no Ace Races close enough for me to go to in Sept. I expect to be paying inflated prices for a couple someone doesn't want.

Has the plastic been anounced for it? I think this disc would be awesome in Ti.
The Hawk was one of the 1st discs I bought back when I started my DG career back in the Summer of '19 - I've enjoyed it. Maybe it's not the best or straightest disc out there, but I enjoy throwing it. I also have no Sept Ace Races anywhere near me, and I can't seem to talk my wife into any kind of road trip. So I'm also hoping to find some at maybe less-than-inflated prices.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-01-2019, 09:44 PM
RUSSELL's Avatar
RUSSELL RUSSELL is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: cincinnati
Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,068
Niced 70 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
So I now have a stack of 5 pro d Hawks. Let friends throw one of them tonight. 2 of them bought the last 2 Discgolfcenter.com had.
This disc is amazing... It's almost as awesome as a Comet....and there are no Ace Races close enough for me to go to in Sept. I expect to be paying inflated prices for a couple someone doesn't want.

Has the plastic been anounced for it? I think this disc would be awesome in Ti.
it will most likely be in ESP, and I wouldn't expect the prices to be outrageous...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-01-2019, 10:51 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,635
Niced 1,167 Times in 672 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL View Post
it will most likely be in ESP, and I wouldn't expect the prices to be outrageous...
To be frank, I am not all that impressed with the last couple years ESP. I mean, it's better than FLX, but I miss the older runs that was more like a firm pro star mix.

I do like the current runs of ESP to give it a try if that is the run it comes out in though.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #60  
Old 08-02-2019, 12:08 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,777
Niced 794 Times in 673 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
When Discraft tried to run old molds in the then-new Z plastic there were at least three notable failures that resulted in really overstable, glideless turds; The Magnet, Hawk and Cyclone. All three were good 90's discs that just did not translate to Z plastic at all. Nate Doss threw Z Hawks because they were 100% power player discs. If you didn't have a Doss-like cannon, there was no reason to bother.

ESP Cyclones were a good, workable driver. Whatever Hellish demon possessed the Z Cyclone was exercised from the ESP Cyclone.

I don't expect that the Ace Race Hawk will be in Z since Discraft already knows that they will be glideless turds. They will probably be ESP or Jawbreaker or something like that and hopefully fly closer to the workable Hawks of the 90's, which flew a lot like a Cobra. As I recall you could get one over but they had a strong fade back at the end, so S curve Cobraish kinda flight.

Also Z Messed up the flight of the Express when Discraft made the disc in that plastic so it went from -1 in Pro D and X to a 0.0 on the disc in Z and made a disc that people liked for Left shots only as Discraft did not have discs like that into a completely straight flier and since Discraft had those straight fliers the mold popularity went way down for the Z mold. Now as of 2017 Express popularity way down due to the 0.0 Z mold being the only plastic for such an awkward feeling mold.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-02-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 Worlds Bolt/Ace Race 2013/Ace Race Zombee/Lucid Air Renegade/VIP Sword throwfromthewoods The Marketplace 24 12-12-2013 09:23 AM
Detroit Area Only: Ace Race 5 Minute Challenge for Free Entry to Ace Race Oct. 19th Earic02 General Disc Golf Chat 0 05-09-2013 10:42 PM
I am the first person to ace with the Ace Race disc this year. yankees23 Discs 24 08-03-2012 01:56 PM
LTC Cleveland 4th annual Ace Race/2nd Ace Revenge jhgonzo Tournaments & Leagues 7 09-12-2011 10:48 PM
Does an ace race ace count as a real ace? cjskier General Disc Golf Chat 72 07-05-2011 05:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.