Old 07-30-2019, 09:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,507 Times in 861 Posts

Looking at European open R1 Paige shot a 1012 rated 61. . .61 in MPO gave the same rating. . .and i feel thats usually the case. . but not at idlewild
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2019, 09:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 117 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
So that made me wonder why the rating was the same when they play different tees
Because one stroke was slightly more valuable on the FPO layout. That again shows the layout wasn't that much easier because the difference in stroke value wasn't greater than that.

Last edited by RistoS; 07-30-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,507 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RistoS View Post
Because one stroke was half a point more valuable on the FPO layout. That again shows the layout wasn't that much easier because the difference in stroke value wasn't greater than that.
ok, you are probably right.

But i look at a hole like hole 2 at "the Beast" . . only ONE FPO birdy in 4 rounds total. . but in MPO most of the top players birdy that hole multiple times.
Still the round where Rated the same for MPO and FPO.
Most of the holes at the Beast played over par for FPO
Old 07-30-2019, 10:31 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 83
Niced 157 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Ratings question:

Paige throw a 70 in R3 and that gave her a rating of 987 . . . .a 70 in MPO also gave a Rating of 987.

But FPO play different tee on 3 holes. . . if FPO play a "easier" layout than MPO, why is the rating the same?
This happens quite a lot. An easier course can produce a higher rating if the players shoot worse on the shorter layout relative to their rating. Remember for the purposes of ratings calculations, it's two separate courses with no relation to one another.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-30-2019, 10:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I wish there was a graphic showing what the player is shooting for. "for par", "for birdie", etc, etc. As in the attached image.
We actually do have something like that, but the timing is all off on it. I will work with Udisc to see if we can update that so that it is a little quicker.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-30-2019, 10:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 83
Niced 157 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RistoS View Post
Hole 5 was much harder related to par for FPO than MPO, there were no birdies in the whole tournament. Even hole 4 had only two.
We're not talking about relative to par here. Par isn't relevant for ratings calculation purposes. For purely raw score, the FPO hole 4 and 5 were easier than the MPO 4 and 5.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 146
Niced 397 Times in 174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
Three observationsg about the coverage, based upon my 15 years in the tv news industry.

1. Highlight the player’s name for who is throwing. You really want people to know these players, keep highlighting who’s on screen. We see this in golf coverage.and the players name, and what stroke, is one before every shot.

2. Show more of the leaderboard throughout the round. Let us know how players on other cards are doing. Is someone else making a charge? More info the better.

3. Find a way to show highlights of other players as well. Even if you just have one camera stationed at a signature hole - think #17 at Sawgrass or #16 at Augusta - let’s see other players just to break things up.

Other than that, coverage has come a long way. Very impressive.
Good stuff here.

#3 made me immediately think about the picturesque intersection of 2, 4, and 5 at Idlewild Open. A stationary camera (on a lift if I'm gonna dream) positioned here would have a good view of people crossing the pond on hole 2, the wide view from the basket of people driving on hole 4, and the drives on hole 5.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 144
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Same, I am watching the post production as well, a group that is as good as CCDG. How did GK Productions get that good so quick?
Is this sarcasm? Because CCDG's production has been stagnant for at least two, if not three, years. Getting as good as CCDG means getting just good enough to do the job, and then sitting on it for a long time. At least in terms of presentation. Maybe they've upgraded equipment, got more cameras, etc. but I can't tell.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post

Is this sarcasm? Because CCDG's production has been stagnant for at least two, if not three, years. Getting as good as CCDG means getting just good enough to do the job, and then sitting on it for a long time. At least in terms of presentation. Maybe they've upgraded equipment, got more cameras, etc. but I can't tell.
I actually disagree with this. CCDG has added a lot of little things over the past few years. They dabbled in "flight line", speed gun, & additional drone graphics when they have the manpower. Where I think they could use a refresh is in their between hole scoring page, I think that is getting a bit stale and I never loved it in the first place.

Niced: (2)

Old 07-30-2019, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,207 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
This is the most interesting sentence in the thread to me.

Are they crazy?

Tens of thousands of amateurs buying discs they don't really need is the financial foundation of the whole disc golf industry, especially the professional side of disc golf.

Pro coverage is one great long, clever advertisement for these companies, convincing saps like me to give them yet another 15 dollars in the hopes that THIS disc will fly like the guys I'm watching on youtube.

If pro disc golf didn't exist and somebody at a disc manufacturer just came up with the concept in order to advertise and sell more discs they'd be considered a marketing genius.

I could be wrong, but it seems the bulk of people buying discs, couldn't name more than 5 top pros.

Plus I know plenty of older AM's that don't care at all about watching/following pro disc golf.

Would you want to sink 6 to 7 figures a year into sponsoring pro disc golf, only to have the same people asking for more every year because they can't find outside sponsorship?