Old 08-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 789 Times in 669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
I feel like DD has really fell off a cliff around here in regards to popularity. Everyone who got suckered into the trilogy bandwagon have gone full discraft now.
Well considering how similar a few of the molds are between the two brands I am not surprised.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-08-2019, 12:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 48
Niced 846 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
I feel like DD has really fell off a cliff around here in regards to popularity. Everyone who got suckered into the trilogy bandwagon have gone full discraft now.
This is ironically hilarious.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-08-2019, 01:25 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,576 Times in 933 Posts

Quote:
It makes me worry about the business of selling discs and how fickle we are. We had A LOT of player go full Dynamic or all-Trilogy in the last five-six years that have quickly switched away from it. It's seems anecdotally like a massive market shift overnight based on...what exactly? Paul McBeth? It seems weird since Paul McBeth wasn't a Trilogy player, so the trilogy fanboys switched brand alliance to follow a player they were not following before? Weird. It seems like they would dump Discraft for some new flash in the pan in a few years. It's kinda hard to build a business based on a base of customers that are that fickle.

Edit: I guess I never understood what was attractive about the Trilogy thing in the first place, so I don't really understand how they gained the market share they had in the first place. Not understanding why people wanted to throw something to begin with makes it hard for me to understand why they are moving away from it.

Last edited by Three Putt; 08-08-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,350 Times in 1,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
It makes me worry about the business of selling discs and how fickle we are. We had A LOT of player go full Dynamic or all-Trilogy in the last five-six years that have quickly switched away from it. It's seems anecdotally like a massive market shift overnight based on...what exactly? Paul McBeth? It seems weird since Paul McBeth wasn't a Trilogy player, so the trilogy fanboys switched brand alliance to follow a player they were not following before? Weird. It seems like they would dump Discraft for some new flash in the pan in a few years. It's kinda hard to build a business based on a base of customers that are that fickle.

Edit: I guess I never understood what was attractive about the Trilogy thing in the first place, so I don't really understand how they gained the market share they had in the first place. Not understanding why people wanted to throw something to begin with makes it hard for me to understand why they are moving away from it.
It was probably a combination of things...new shiny plastic, DD already had a pretty big following, some moderate to big name pros went Trilogy in 2013 and then you have that ridiculous Team Trilogy nonsense that threw gas on the fire...and now that fire is getting pretty dim.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,450 Times in 746 Posts

I think everybody moved to Discraft because they'd spent all that time hating on Innova because they were "Team" Trilogy. When their hero went to Innova, they couldn't follow him. They probably also sold all the sweet runs of Innova they collected over the years to join a "Team" and can't fathom that new runs are still great.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:28 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,576 Times in 933 Posts

I guess I never have understood the thing about throwing something just so you wouldn't be throwing something else. Back in the day it wasn't so much brand stuff, but there were always guys who wouldn't throw Rocs because everybody threw Rocs. So they would deliberately NOT try a disc that most people thought was the best disc for those shots just so they could be different. I mean we were already frolfing, how much more different did we need to get?

Old 08-08-2019, 02:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Maybe it's best for players AND for manufacturers to keep trading top player sponsorships every 3 or so years. That way they have that instant hype when the player moves, have a couple years to build up a following, then when it starts going stale they get a new player to hype up their existing or older stuff and make a few new molds for.

I mean I throw what works well for my arm so it doesn't matter to me, but I can't believe the amount of Discraft I've seen on the course this year. And so many Kongs/Zeus already out there when many people don't have the arm for those or Destroyers. I mean the Zones/Buzzzes make sense for lots of bags but they have been around for so long without being so visible, and the Kongs really show the new driver marketing strength.

To be fair to the Judge, it does feel fantastic and it's super neutral for being a beaded putter. It makes sense why people jumped to it immediately just from a disc/mold standpoint.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 615 Times in 324 Posts

Next time ask, 'why is the Wizard so popular'? You'll get 100 replies in under an hour. Not one will mention the judge.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 131
Niced 734 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
It was probably a combination of things...new shiny plastic, DD already had a pretty big following, some moderate to big name pros went Trilogy in 2013 and then you have that ridiculous Team Trilogy nonsense that threw gas on the fire...and now that fire is getting pretty dim.
I think Streets hit on it pretty good. Combination of big name, some sort of team aspect and the growth of "fan boys". Seems like Discraft understood this and incorporated some of it, signing McBeth and then starting Discraft Underground brought a lot of new fans over to their side. Ditching their "old" plastic for the hottest new thing and going strictly one company for a chance to be on the team.

Know a few folks around here that are all or nothing when it comes to disc companies. Run into them and they are throwing all (insert brand) and then bump into them few months later and they now throw all (insert diff brand). Maybe the Team Trilogy thing didnt pan out for some players and with Rickey leaving and Discraft making moves decided to jump ship and hop on the next (band) wagon out of town.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:30 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 452 Times in 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
I think Streets hit on it pretty good. Combination of big name, some sort of team aspect and the growth of "fan boys". Seems like Discraft understood this and incorporated some of it, signing McBeth and then starting Discraft Underground brought a lot of new fans over to their side. Ditching their "old" plastic for the hottest new thing and going strictly one company for a chance to be on the team.

Know a few folks around here that are all or nothing when it comes to disc companies. Run into them and they are throwing all (insert brand) and then bump into them few months later and they now throw all (insert diff brand). Maybe the Team Trilogy thing didnt pan out for some players and with Rickey leaving and Discraft making moves decided to jump ship and hop on the next (band) wagon out of town.
I mean we do this for fun, and if that’s what makes someone happy I’m not going to criticize (especially because it keeps the secondhand disc market vibrant) but I certainly don’t get it, especially for rec players who 1. Probably don’t have the arm to throw half of the pros bags anyway and 2. Are more limited by their own skill than by the plastic in the bag.