Old 08-19-2019, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,838 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
That is very true but to me Worlds just isnt the same anymore with so few rounds. Id like to see at least one multiple round day, days where the men start in the morning. Something that tests the players more. Idk, maybe im a minority here with that thought.
Multi-round days would mean easier/shorter courses. I can't imagine they're going to do that just to satisfy what likely is a minority opinion about the number of rounds.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 170
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 728 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Multi-round days would mean easier/shorter courses. I can't imagine they're going to do that just to satisfy what likely is a minority opinion about the number of rounds.
Good point, what I was trying to get at is I dont think their stamina is really tested. Long slow rounds are grueling and tiring for sure. I think this worlds did a good job at testing their shot making ability and pretty much everything else. Idk, Id love to see things that would throw these guys off their games. Lets play a worlds where the layout of a course isnt know til the players meeting before the round starts. It really shouldnt matter what test we throw at them, the best players will still come out on top but I think more could be done.

And I also get that they just use 1 or 2 courses now so that the players dont have to learn as many courses but I think thats a weak argument as to why the amount of courses should be lessened. Its on the players to prep for a tournament and if they dont take the time to prep correctly then its on them and not the tournament.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-19-2019, 05:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,838 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Good point, what I was trying to get at is I dont think their stamina is really tested. Long slow rounds are grueling and tiring for sure. I think this worlds did a good job at testing their shot making ability and pretty much everything else. Idk, Id love to see things that would throw these guys off their games. Lets play a worlds where the layout of a course isnt know til the players meeting before the round starts. It really shouldnt matter what test we throw at them, the best players will still come out on top but I think more could be done.

And I also get that they just use 1 or 2 courses now so that the players dont have to learn as many courses but I think thats a weak argument as to why the amount of courses should be lessened. Its on the players to prep for a tournament and if they dont take the time to prep correctly then its on them and not the tournament.
I know that players have stated they prefer fewer courses for practicing purposes, but I think the larger reason the PDGA went to the 2 course format for Worlds is to broaden the list of potential hosts. No way Smugglers Notch hosts Worlds under the old format (requiring 4-5+ courses). Doubtful that Utah (next year's host) would be able to do it either. Smuggs was a great spot for it. Utah may turn out to be as well.

For years it was a struggle to find a host for Pro Worlds. There's a reason it went back to Lemon Lake three years after it had already been there...no one else bid. They needed a solution so that sort of thing stopped happening.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 6
Niced 117 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I know that players have stated they prefer fewer courses for practicing purposes, but I think the larger reason the PDGA went to the 2 course format for Worlds is to broaden the list of potential hosts. No way Smugglers Notch hosts Worlds under the old format (requiring 4-5+ courses). Doubtful that Utah (next year's host) would be able to do it either. Smuggs was a great spot for it. Utah may turn out to be as well.
Add outside of the US to this list as well. Finland is definitely due to host one of these.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 167
Niced 471 Times in 217 Posts

I would like to see Worlds choose from the best courses in the world.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 183
Niced 683 Times in 452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Eureka (like a lot of courses on the Pro Tour) just strikes me as the kind of course that I wouldn't play really under any circumstances.

Northwood strikes me as a course that would shove me down and take my lunch money, and then I'd get in line to let it do it to me again.
I agree. However, I'd play Eureka just to bag it and to embarrass myself by trying a couple of the long water shots with my less-appreciated plastic. Every course is worth playing once, right? If I only had my real bag, I'd play super safe on some holes or shamelessly walk to the drop zone.

But yes, I'd also love to have my butt kicked at Northwood. That kind of challenge is what makes disc golf fun.

Quote:
I for one would love to see worlds go back to playing more then 5 rounds. Right now it really isnt much different then any other big tournament. Or at least bring back the final 9 or something. Worlds just doesnt feel like the premier event in disc golf anymore to me.
Hey, at least we're headed the right direction! The 5 rounds here already seem a big improvement to the recent 4 round Worlds, even with 4 plus final 9.

Even if it doesn't seem quite as good as those vintage 2014 and 2014 slugfests that I cut my teeth on, it's clear that all the top pro players treat it as the number one event in DG. That helps validate Worlds more than anything. Even Nate Sexton and MJ played!

And you mentioned something about liking McBeth's lack of emotion. I'm a fan too. Execute and then act like you expected it the whole time. I'll take the minimalist celebration over the throw-your-racket-and-fall-to-the-ground-crying approach any day.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 195 Times in 61 Posts
Default Reflections on a Trip to Peoria

What I liked....

1. Watching McBeth win his 5th World Championship...he earned it...he was thinking about this and practicing for this since I watched him finish second last year in Vermont...an incredible ambassador for the sport...

2. Doing Udisc scoring for 6 groups over 5 days...had the first early group on day 1 and McBeth and KJ in the afternoon...met players from 6 countries (including a foursome from four different countries for Round 4 MPO)...got to do PB, Lisa F., Jennifer Allen and Missy Gannon for the 3rd round at Northwood...it was play other courses in the morning or score early groups...so much more fun to be out there in the ropes...

3. Experiencing Northwood Gold...what a great course...a few pedestrian holes (1, 6, 7, 8, 9) but the rest are what disc golf should be...and hole 12, yes it meets or exceeds the hype...a perfect disc golf hole...

4. The vibe...it played in Peoria for sure...they had mentions on their sports radio stations...and seeing, my guess, 1,500 people watching the final round...great for the sport...

5. The pizza..at Eureka they had a vendor selling wood fired pizza that was amazing...

6. The routine...most of the 5 days...score a group in the morning, watch leaders in the afternoon...go back to tent camp site to sip a few brews and watch videos from the previous day next to campfire..doesn't get much better than that...

7. The players...so many great folks willing to talk and share...great to have a sport where you can talk to just about everyone...from the best in the world to an up and comer from Finland...

What I didn't like...

1. The Eureka Course...it is much more spectator friendly but that is about the only good thing...it is (in my opinion) not a Worlds course...I went to USDGC last year and in some ways felt the same because of holes 7-14...Eureka is a lesser version of USDGC...yes, it tests the players skill...but it is not scenic (which I value highly)...nor interesting to watch...

2. The course set-up...I went to Vermont last year and their two courses with the scenery and facilities badly beat this year...having women and men playing courses 30 minutes apart makes things disjointed (maybe I was spoiled by smugglers notch)...

Winners...

1. Peoria (ran a great tournament and drew in a huge crowd)
2. Discraft (probably bigger winners than Paul, the shift to talk about their discs is monumental because they signed 1 guy, primarily).
3. McBeth (third straight major)
4. PP (5th title, not surprising as it was an odd year)

Old 08-19-2019, 10:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 1,989 Times in 1,145 Posts

i dont think hole 12 is a perfect hole

it seems fairly basic just long for a dg hole

maybe im just spoiled and ungrateful
Old 08-19-2019, 10:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 68
Niced 286 Times in 155 Posts

NW Gold 12 is interesting as it's not just long, it also requires some strategy on shot placement, including a piece that is not intuitive.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,207 Times in 563 Posts

Ricky had an amazing come back for the ages.

You really get an idea of how much McBeth respects his game when talking about it in post interviews.

Remember, last year a lot of people counted McBeth out after his bad round and he came back to just two strokes short.