Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 233 Times in 178 Posts

I don't know what was different today, looks very similar to my eye, but I got a Mantis out to 364' by Udisc measurement, dead straight line drive. About 15' downhill. Just maybe felt a little more upright through the swing and maybe a little more turned back, but still see the same old issues.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8wF5RNfh6GXFMvBGA
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Eagle Member

I'm having so much trouble putting. I have a push putt. I'm always releasing high or low and just cannot find a consistent grip that allows me to release at the basket. I can usually get comfortable after putting for like 30+ minutes, but I cannot find it on the course. I can power the putt with my legs/body just fine, but the release out of my hand is so inconsistent that it doesn't matter. It's either dropping out of my hand early or I hold on to long and its over the basket.

How firm should the grip be throughout the stroke? Loose until the end like a drive? I've never heard that talked about during a clinic.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,899 Times in 1,770 Posts

Your vid never plays, just says will be ready soon.

I use MJ's grip for everything, same principles apply, grip pressure firm enough to control disc and spring it forward. I relax the index finger more for shorter throws and putts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5zH_jQYjQ#t=1m34s
Old 08-23-2019, 05:02 AM
Par Member

Niced 159 Times in 91 Posts

I just want to feel my thumb print, not necessarily pinching anything spesific. Very much like when you pop the disc up and catch it, thumb controls it.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:23 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
I just want to feel my thumb print, not necessarily pinching anything spesific. Very much like when you pop the disc up and catch it, thumb controls it.
But the disc is releasing from the fingers right? Now that you mention it, I do tend to get lazy with the thumb and primarily focus on the middle and ring finger under the disc.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:07 AM
Par Member

Niced 159 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
But the disc is releasing from the fingers right? Now that you mention it, I do tend to get lazy with the thumb and primarily focus on the middle and ring finger under the disc.
Yes they do release from fingers but we are talking about such miniscule movement, regardless.. thumb is they key for consistency imo.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-25-2019, 12:27 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
Yes they do release from fingers but we are talking about such miniscule movement, regardless.. thumb is they key for consistency imo.
Thanks, it was an immediate difference for me. You're right it's very miniscule but when i focus on aiming with my thumb instead of my fingers, it's almost like a restriction on how high the disc comes out of my hand and I'm able to get less high putts. The thumb still releases first but it's a split second.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
I'm having so much trouble putting. I have a push putt. I'm always releasing high or low and just cannot find a consistent grip that allows me to release at the basket. I can usually get comfortable after putting for like 30+ minutes, but I cannot find it on the course. I can power the putt with my legs/body just fine, but the release out of my hand is so inconsistent that it doesn't matter. It's either dropping out of my hand early or I hold on to long and its over the basket.

How firm should the grip be throughout the stroke? Loose until the end like a drive? I've never heard that talked about during a clinic.
I've had really good luck with feeling a similar hit point to the drive, by leveraging the opposite edge of the disc.

Pinch the disc between your index and thumb through the flight plate at the edge of the rim, this is an exercise and not your normal grip. Let the disc dangle below your hand, palm facing the ground. Swing it back and forth a little to feel the opposite edge that's hanging have some weight. Now pop it upward so the opposite edge swings up toward the sky. Do this a few times, then when it starts swinging upward let the flight plate slide in your fingers so that bottom edge becomes the top and the disc stays in your hand rather than swinging around the pivot point.

Now go to your normal putting grip and point at the basket. Feel the back edge of the disc swing forward when you pop your wrist, let your grip loosen so the disc slides in your hand again and that back edge becomes the front. That's how I feel the weight of the disc in my hand and can practice or aim the disc's weight toward the basket by doing that little wrist flick. After I feel that leverage/spin feeling a couple of times, then I just do that in my putt and the disc pops out like nothing right down the aim line. Leverage it toward the basket rather than letting it slide around freely.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:04 PM
Eagle Member

It's still been struggle city with putting. I get the idea of leveraging the disc and I can do so... inconsistently. But it's rarely the power that is a problem but rather the release angle up and down. I don't miss left and right unless I've truly lined up incorrectly, but I miss mostly high and sometimes low. It's just an inconsistent release. I think I just need to keep working with it and practicing and realize I'm learning how to do with with my non-dominant hand so it's going to take a while.

My throwing is getting better and better though. Really starting to get the late acceleration feeling and hit more lines. Notably I'm getting better at standstill approaches. The full power shots aren't as difficult because they don't require much touch, and developing touch with an off-hand is just going to take me a while.

Another thing I've discovered recently is how to involve my wrist better. Actually learned from throwing an ultimate disc with my dog: if I keep tension off of my arm early in the throw, it allows my wrist to naturally bend back a lot easier. I think I still tend to strong arm a little bit and that stiffness prevents me from keeping my hand on the outside edge of the disc. I could never figure out how to prevent that, but now it makes sense how powering with the body early allows the wrist to stay loose and keep my grip on the outside of the disc longer before redirection. It almost feels like I'm sequentially engaging my muscles all the way down to the grip during the throw. I had a couple of perfect feeling throws that even at 100' playing catch I could noticeably feel a more powerful ejection when I let my wrist lag. Now I understand what the "lag" feels like and that if you stiffen your muscles you prevent lag from happening.

I've noticed in James Conrad's putt he has the same little wrist bend back action right before ejecting his putt which honestly I still can't recreate. I'm going for more of a Wysocki style of putt with mostly push but obviously there is some wrist action in there too.

I need to get some video here soon to see how I'm doing.

Last edited by UhhNegative; 09-05-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
It's still been struggle city with putting. I get the idea of leveraging the disc and I can do so... inconsistently. But it's rarely the power that is a problem but rather the release angle up and down. I don't miss left and right unless I've truly lined up incorrectly, but I miss mostly high and sometimes low. It's just an inconsistent release. I think I just need to keep working with it and practicing and realize I'm learning how to do with with my non-dominant hand so it's going to take a while.
Are you lobbing the putt at all, or doing more of a line drive? If you're too lobby then the high/low misses can be challenging...in too close and it's easy to be high, too far away and easy to be low. If you drive them a bit more then you have a long flight range that the disc is still at the correct height.

That being said if I tried to learn to putt with my left hand I'm sure I would be way more prone to one-off mistakes at random for a long time.

Also videoing your putt could be helpful, at minimum for you to see what it actually looks like.