#351  
Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 PM
UhhNegative UhhNegative is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Courses Played: 48
Posts: 697
Niced 233 Times in 178 Posts
Default

I don't know what was different today, looks very similar to my eye, but I got a Mantis out to 364' by Udisc measurement, dead straight line drive. About 15' downhill. Just maybe felt a little more upright through the swing and maybe a little more turned back, but still see the same old issues.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8wF5RNfh6GXFMvBGA
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 08-22-2019, 11:29 AM
UhhNegative UhhNegative is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Courses Played: 48
Posts: 697
Niced 233 Times in 178 Posts
Default

I'm having so much trouble putting. I have a push putt. I'm always releasing high or low and just cannot find a consistent grip that allows me to release at the basket. I can usually get comfortable after putting for like 30+ minutes, but I cannot find it on the course. I can power the putt with my legs/body just fine, but the release out of my hand is so inconsistent that it doesn't matter. It's either dropping out of my hand early or I hold on to long and its over the basket.

How firm should the grip be throughout the stroke? Loose until the end like a drive? I've never heard that talked about during a clinic.
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 08-22-2019, 07:16 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Posts: 15,160
Niced 2,899 Times in 1,770 Posts
Default

Your vid never plays, just says will be ready soon.

I use MJ's grip for everything, same principles apply, grip pressure firm enough to control disc and spring it forward. I relax the index finger more for shorter throws and putts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5zH_jQYjQ#t=1m34s
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 08-23-2019, 05:02 AM
RandyC RandyC is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Niced 159 Times in 91 Posts
Default

I just want to feel my thumb print, not necessarily pinching anything spesific. Very much like when you pop the disc up and catch it, thumb controls it.
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 08-23-2019, 09:23 PM
UhhNegative UhhNegative is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Courses Played: 48
Posts: 697
Niced 233 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
I just want to feel my thumb print, not necessarily pinching anything spesific. Very much like when you pop the disc up and catch it, thumb controls it.
But the disc is releasing from the fingers right? Now that you mention it, I do tend to get lazy with the thumb and primarily focus on the middle and ring finger under the disc.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 08-24-2019, 02:07 AM
RandyC RandyC is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Niced 159 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
But the disc is releasing from the fingers right? Now that you mention it, I do tend to get lazy with the thumb and primarily focus on the middle and ring finger under the disc.
Yes they do release from fingers but we are talking about such miniscule movement, regardless.. thumb is they key for consistency imo.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 08-25-2019, 12:27 PM
UhhNegative UhhNegative is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Courses Played: 48
Posts: 697
Niced 233 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
Yes they do release from fingers but we are talking about such miniscule movement, regardless.. thumb is they key for consistency imo.
Thanks, it was an immediate difference for me. You're right it's very miniscule but when i focus on aiming with my thumb instead of my fingers, it's almost like a restriction on how high the disc comes out of my hand and I'm able to get less high putts. The thumb still releases first but it's a split second.
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 08-26-2019, 03:09 AM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,254
Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
I'm having so much trouble putting. I have a push putt. I'm always releasing high or low and just cannot find a consistent grip that allows me to release at the basket. I can usually get comfortable after putting for like 30+ minutes, but I cannot find it on the course. I can power the putt with my legs/body just fine, but the release out of my hand is so inconsistent that it doesn't matter. It's either dropping out of my hand early or I hold on to long and its over the basket.

How firm should the grip be throughout the stroke? Loose until the end like a drive? I've never heard that talked about during a clinic.
I've had really good luck with feeling a similar hit point to the drive, by leveraging the opposite edge of the disc.

Pinch the disc between your index and thumb through the flight plate at the edge of the rim, this is an exercise and not your normal grip. Let the disc dangle below your hand, palm facing the ground. Swing it back and forth a little to feel the opposite edge that's hanging have some weight. Now pop it upward so the opposite edge swings up toward the sky. Do this a few times, then when it starts swinging upward let the flight plate slide in your fingers so that bottom edge becomes the top and the disc stays in your hand rather than swinging around the pivot point.

Now go to your normal putting grip and point at the basket. Feel the back edge of the disc swing forward when you pop your wrist, let your grip loosen so the disc slides in your hand again and that back edge becomes the front. That's how I feel the weight of the disc in my hand and can practice or aim the disc's weight toward the basket by doing that little wrist flick. After I feel that leverage/spin feeling a couple of times, then I just do that in my putt and the disc pops out like nothing right down the aim line. Leverage it toward the basket rather than letting it slide around freely.
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 09-05-2019, 02:04 PM
UhhNegative UhhNegative is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Courses Played: 48
Posts: 697
Niced 233 Times in 178 Posts
Default

It's still been struggle city with putting. I get the idea of leveraging the disc and I can do so... inconsistently. But it's rarely the power that is a problem but rather the release angle up and down. I don't miss left and right unless I've truly lined up incorrectly, but I miss mostly high and sometimes low. It's just an inconsistent release. I think I just need to keep working with it and practicing and realize I'm learning how to do with with my non-dominant hand so it's going to take a while.

My throwing is getting better and better though. Really starting to get the late acceleration feeling and hit more lines. Notably I'm getting better at standstill approaches. The full power shots aren't as difficult because they don't require much touch, and developing touch with an off-hand is just going to take me a while.

Another thing I've discovered recently is how to involve my wrist better. Actually learned from throwing an ultimate disc with my dog: if I keep tension off of my arm early in the throw, it allows my wrist to naturally bend back a lot easier. I think I still tend to strong arm a little bit and that stiffness prevents me from keeping my hand on the outside edge of the disc. I could never figure out how to prevent that, but now it makes sense how powering with the body early allows the wrist to stay loose and keep my grip on the outside of the disc longer before redirection. It almost feels like I'm sequentially engaging my muscles all the way down to the grip during the throw. I had a couple of perfect feeling throws that even at 100' playing catch I could noticeably feel a more powerful ejection when I let my wrist lag. Now I understand what the "lag" feels like and that if you stiffen your muscles you prevent lag from happening.

I've noticed in James Conrad's putt he has the same little wrist bend back action right before ejecting his putt which honestly I still can't recreate. I'm going for more of a Wysocki style of putt with mostly push but obviously there is some wrist action in there too.

I need to get some video here soon to see how I'm doing.

Last edited by UhhNegative; 09-05-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
 

  #360  
Old 09-06-2019, 02:10 PM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,254
Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
It's still been struggle city with putting. I get the idea of leveraging the disc and I can do so... inconsistently. But it's rarely the power that is a problem but rather the release angle up and down. I don't miss left and right unless I've truly lined up incorrectly, but I miss mostly high and sometimes low. It's just an inconsistent release. I think I just need to keep working with it and practicing and realize I'm learning how to do with with my non-dominant hand so it's going to take a while.
Are you lobbing the putt at all, or doing more of a line drive? If you're too lobby then the high/low misses can be challenging...in too close and it's easy to be high, too far away and easy to be low. If you drive them a bit more then you have a long flight range that the disc is still at the correct height.

That being said if I tried to learn to putt with my left hand I'm sure I would be way more prone to one-off mistakes at random for a long time.

Also videoing your putt could be helpful, at minimum for you to see what it actually looks like.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backhand Form Rebuild Journey ponder Form Analysis/Critique 14 10-20-2018 12:51 PM
Reid's bag 2017 UhhNegative Bag Suggestions & Feedback 0 08-08-2017 05:05 PM
Reid's bag - 2017 UhhNegative Bag Suggestions & Feedback 0 03-18-2017 12:53 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.