Old 08-27-2019, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,544 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Hold up you’re saying in tourneys that only one person keeps score for the whole card? I just played my first one so I don’t know anything but at that one (a pretty informal one!) each player kept a card and we reconciled at the end of the round. I think we caught mistakes each of 4 rounds that way.
Yes, generally. One card for the group, usually passed around so each player keeps score for 4 or 5 holes. I've been playing for almost 25 years and never played an event that used individual scorecards (golf-style).
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2019, 03:35 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 455 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Yes, generally. One card for the group, usually passed around so each player keeps score for 4 or 5 holes. I've been playing for almost 25 years and never played an event that used individual scorecards (golf-style).
Crazy. I guess my local is a unicorn.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Are you going to have an electronic scoreboard as well? If not then you still have to transfer them by hand.

Just because it can be done, does not mean it should be done.

Hey, I'm not an advocate. As a player, I'm happier with the paper. But I can see benefits to TDs, especially after having checked many hundreds of scorecards over the years.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:36 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
Agreed. I grew up in Myrtle Beach, SC and started playing golf at age 6 which taught me sportmanship, self-awareness, humility, rules, etiquette, competitiveness and math which have all helped in life as an adult. I have played 140 PDGA tournaments in the southeast, northeast and midwest and in the southeast, the rounds are very casual during tournaments. Many of the guys I have played with in the southeast over the years only play when their close friends that play in their division which is fun but different than golf. I can remember playing golf against friends and others competitively when I was young and it was cut throat with trash talk and gamesmanship. The banter in dg sometimes reminds of the scene in The Campaign when Galifianakis tries to trash talk Ferrell. The things about dg that I really had a difficult time with initially was players not betting during rounds because tags and ratings are treated as the holy grail and the lack of etiquette by players talking and moving during play.
You do realize that the stuffy d-bag atmosphere is a large part of why many of us play disc golf instead of ball golf right?

Niced: (1)
Old 08-27-2019, 03:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Hold up you’re saying in tourneys that only one person keeps score for the whole card? I just played my first one so I don’t know anything but at that one (a pretty informal one!) each player kept a card and we reconciled at the end of the round. I think we caught mistakes each of 4 rounds that way.
Yes. I have played about a dozen tourneys (B & C's) and we only had one scorecard for each card in all of them. Only one tourney had us sign them.

In similar level ball golf tourneys, each player has their own card and you exchange on first hole, so each player scores for a different player. Then both scorer and player sign attesting to the score at end of the round.

Amazing how many times the scorecards have gotten screwed up in the limited amount of time I have been playing.

I do know requiring everyone to use an electronic device is not the answer. Keeping score is part of the game.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Yes. I have played about a dozen tourneys (B & C's) and we only had one scorecard for each card in all of them. Only one tourney had us sign them.

In similar level ball golf tourneys, each player has their own card and you exchange on first hole, so each player scores for a different player. Then both scorer and player sign attesting to the score at end of the round.

Amazing how many times the scorecards have gotten screwed up in the limited amount of time I have been playing.

I do know requiring everyone to use an electronic device is not the answer. Keeping score is part of the game.
Interesting. I rather liked the way we did it.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,837 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
I would be more open to the idea of electronic scorecards if they ever came on dedicated devices that were also not somebody's phone, and if we could view that card on our phones when it wasn't our turn to keep score.
With the current PDGA live scoring, you can view the scores on your phone even if it isn't your turn to keep score, same way everyone else can view the scores as the round is being played. In my experience with it this weekend, the only time one might have to share their phone is to pass it around at the end of the round for players to "sign" their scorecard (tapping their name and entering their PDGA number). However, even that is something that the phone owner/scorekeeper can do themselves with the players just verbally confirming their PDGA numbers for input into the app.

All that said, paper scorecards are not going away any time soon. I can't see the PDGA mandating use of electronic scoring at sanctioned events. Maybe at majors, but no way they do it all the way down the ranks to B and C tiers. This is all about giving tournament directors more options for how they run their events.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Interesting. I rather liked the way we did it.
We have both in the area and I prefer the one card per person. It will be the same card for the whole event. Kinda fun after the 3rd round to look and see the whole tournament there on one score card.

Either way we've always done it where one person is the card carrier and collects scores then swaps after 4 or 5 holes.

Paper score cards will go the way of the 2 meter rule. There will be holdouts, possibly regionally it will be held on to and stay as an option in the rules, but it will become the norm to use electronic while paper will still be allowed it will be looked down on as a silly affect of the past.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:24 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 360
Niced 736 Times in 257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I've done it both ways. For tournaments that are 3+ rounds, individual cards are the way to go. For single round events, they're more trouble than they're worth. One single day two round events, I suppose it comes down to preference.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
I've done it both ways. For tournaments that are 3+ rounds, individual cards are the way to go. For single round events, they're more trouble than they're worth. One single day two round events, I suppose it comes down to preference.
Why? What benefits do individual cards bring to multiple rounds, that they don't to single rounds?