Old 08-27-2019, 11:34 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 360
Niced 736 Times in 257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Why? What benefits do individual cards bring to multiple rounds, that they don't to single rounds?
Well for one, you don't have to write out new ones at the start of each subsequent round. Just sort them by division and score.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2019, 12:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 146
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 353 Times in 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Are you going to have an electronic scoreboard as well? If not then you still have to transfer them by hand.

Just because it can be done, does not mean it should be done.
PDGA Results page has the results and next round's tee times/starting holes. If it works out for your event, you can get round results finished and next round set up in about 5 mouse clicks. You don't have to use a paper scorepoint if you don't want to.
Most players look on their phones to see their scores and ratings anyway, so it's pretty easy to look there for next round's starting holes/tee times. Most NT/DGPT tournaments don't bother with paper scoreboards any more.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,159 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
PDGA Results page has the results and next round's tee times/starting holes. If it works out for your event, you can get round results finished and next round set up in about 5 mouse clicks. You don't have to use a paper scorepoint if you don't want to.
Most players look on their phones to see their scores and ratings anyway, so it's pretty easy to look there for next round's starting holes/tee times. Most NT/DGPT tournaments don't bother with paper scoreboards any more.
I did not realize the bolded was the case- you would know though.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 68
Niced 286 Times in 155 Posts

When doing one round a day events it is easier to expect people to get tee times/starting holes online. When you are doing two in a day, it may be expecting too much for every player to get that information online at some venues.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,548 Times in 1,539 Posts

What other sports---aside of esports---require players to have and use internet access during competition?

Niced: (3)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 269
Niced 83 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
You do realize that the stuffy d-bag atmosphere is a large part of why many of us play disc golf instead of ball golf right?
When and where have you experienced the “stuffy d-bag atmosphere” in golf? The overwhelming majority of golf courses in the US are public. I have never understood why some disc golfers are so narrow minded and lacking balance in their life. How bad was life for these people before they discovered the sport?
Old 08-28-2019, 11:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,839 Times in 1,584 Posts

At NTs and majors, they play tee time rounds which render the scoreport needless. Going electronic there makes all kinds of sense. But I don't believe that the average B or C tier with shotgun starts need to be moving away from the scoreport anytime soon. Sure, it might be possible to do everything electronically, but IMO it takes more than 4-5 clicks to display groupings and hole assignments on the tournament manager. At least it does if you don't like the way it assigns things, which I never do.

Good TDs know their courses and know where they need to be starting certain groups/divisions in order to get the best flow (not to mention accommodating certain divisions in terms of walks to starting holes) and the online group generator uses a default order that will rarely match the need. I think it's still much faster and more efficient to re-sort groups for new rounds on a scoreport.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
What other sports---aside of esports---require players to have and use internet access during competition?
Lots.

Many many youth sports, for me personally Soccer, softball, basketball, Ice Hockey as well as many fringe sports. Tournament updates on scoring and whether or not you have field/venue changes, 2 games on Friday, 1 game on Saturday and then saturday afternoon and Sunday are based on points or seeding and all of that information is now handled predominantly through tournament websites where you used to have to visit a tournament central and then hopefully spread word of mouth.

As well as many fringe sports, ones that have the flexibility to embrace current technology.

Our local annual event it was SOOO much easier with updates through the PDGA website for 2 rounds on 1 day. 2 courses so tournament central was at one course with the field split between the two courses. We still had a paper board for the cards at the second course, but I knew while I was eating lunch what my starting hole would be on the second course before I got there. The player check-in prior to the second round was much quicker and more streamlined as well since all of the information was online. AND this was done with paper score cards and a lot of hard work by the TD and support to enter the scores. Had it all been in an app it would have been even more seamless.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,548 Times in 1,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Lots.

Many many youth sports, for me personally Soccer, softball, basketball, Ice Hockey as well as many fringe sports. Tournament updates on scoring and whether or not you have field/venue changes, 2 games on Friday, 1 game on Saturday and then saturday afternoon and Sunday are based on points or seeding and all of that information is now handled predominantly through tournament websites where you used to have to visit a tournament central and then hopefully spread word of mouth.

As well as many fringe sports, ones that have the flexibility to embrace current technology.
I was thinking in terms of during the actual games, competitors having to use the internet.

Certainly things like scheduling/rescheduling events is much better today. I coached you sports for decades in the pre-internet era, and I'm envious of today's technology for those things.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

I think the score keeping can be done without constant internet connection, as long as one can connect eventually for the transfer.