Old 08-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Par Member

Niced 128 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
A carpenter won 12x.
Exactly. People in here mention he beat a bunch of weekend warrior part timers who held day jobs, but also forget that Climo himself was a weekend warrior with a day job too.

Climo wasn't spending his weekdays getting spa treatment and having a personal trainer. The guy spent his weekdays in the hot Florida weather pounding nails into wood.

The guy won 12 titles with nowhere near the level of support that Paul currently has. Nowhere near the level of sponsor support, income, and travel support. That all matters bigtime. Paul is a beast not taking anything away from him.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2019, 01:17 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 135
Niced 69 Times in 33 Posts

Paul McBeth is something else. I tend to root against him but he is so good for the sport. He's the first disc golfer that I ever saw kids worshiping and emulating as a sports hero (starting back in about 2014). He manages his game and image so well.

And kudos to both he and Discraft on taking a big risk and succeeding. I am impressed.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-02-2019, 10:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 107
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 361 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLaForce2002 View Post
Disclaimer 1) I know it’s spelled McBeth, it makes the play on words more...pompous? No, that can’t be it

Disclaimer 2) I’m either committing the vilest heresy or saving saving the brightest star in DG

Disclaimer 3) I wasn’t paying attention to DG until last year so I didn’t experience 2012-2015 for all the historical perspective

OK, here we go: McBeth is done. I predict he’ll be 1030 rated before he’s ever 1050 rated again; if he is ever rated that high again. No DGPT or NT first places the rest of the year and more finishes out of the top 10 than in. I can’t tell you how painful it is to type this: Don’t waste your Skip Ace picks.

I feel sick and sad and I hope I’m wrong and I hope every last poster tears me to pieces with acerbic wit and irrefutable arguments against. And if anyone mentions marriage or wife, may you be blessed with the peaceful relationship you deserve

Let the flaming begin!
And another win for Paul.

VLa hasn’t been logged in for a month. So we have Worlds and MVP since then, right?

I’ve said it before and I still feel the same way. I like the original post and thought it was some good, fun, tongue in cheek stuff.

Congrats Paul on proving VLa wrong, yet again, as per his request.

Be well, VLa!

Last edited by Jimb; 09-02-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 126 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
In the end, it was really Paul vs. Ricky, but if Ricky had shot just slightly better in Round One or Two, he could have won.
And if Paul had shot just slightly better in any round, it wouldn't have been even close. Sheesh.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 515 Times in 214 Posts

I have huge respect for Ricky and what he did for Worlds in those last three rounds.
Especially the last round.
Huge respect.
However...
I just got the impression that Paul let his foot off the gas a bit when he had a 4 throw lead with three to go.
He started playing less aggressively because he knew it was easier to lose multiple strokes than it was to gain them.
Saying it was a one-stroke victory is technically true, but that may not reflect the reality of the situation.

Last edited by DiscJunkie; 09-03-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 13
Niced 95 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
Comparing Climo to McBeth is like comparing Palmer to Woods or Ruth to Aaron to Mcgwire etc. Too many differences through time and differing opinions to really determine the best. It's fun to discuss and all but Climo will always be "The Champ" as far as I'm concerned. In ten years there will be a new superstar rising that everyone will compare to McBeth etc...
Climo is The Champ.

McBeth is The GOAT (at least right now, future generations will have something to say about that).

Old 09-06-2019, 06:53 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 45 Times in 30 Posts

I think PMcB might be the last guy to ever win 5x Worlds. The level of competition isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We are in a "Tiger Woods era," and those might just be once a generation.

We may enter a new era in the next decade wherein 10 consecutive Worlds have 10 different champions.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 333 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan C View Post
I think PMcB might be the last guy to ever win 5x Worlds. The level of competition isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We are in a "Tiger Woods era," and those might just be once a generation.

We may enter a new era in the next decade wherein 10 consecutive Worlds have 10 different champions.
IDK. I compete in Motorcycle Mototrials which is a specialized and ridiculously demanding sport (not in my class, though). We have a TEN time national champ (Phil Smage), so I'm thinking some more freaks might still be out there in the relatively sedate world of DG
Old 09-06-2019, 09:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 520 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan C View Post
So do you think he'll win a 6th, or has he peaked?

Niced: (2)

Old 09-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 130
Niced 109 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
So do you think he'll win a 6th, or has he peaked?
That’s quality— thanks.