Old 10-15-2019, 05:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnow View Post
You still have to qualify to play in the U.S. Open in ball golf. That is certainly a restriction.

https://www.usopen.com/qualifying/sectional.html
You also have to have a 2 handicap or better to enter qualifying as an amateur. They will also bar entry to anyone who repeatedly shot high scores in previous qualifiers. Glad to see the PDGA taking their competitions seriously. You need to earn the right to play in these events now and there is nothing wrong with that.

Correction: The USGA mandates that amateurs golfers must have a handicap index of no greater than 1.4 to enter U.S. Open qualifying.

Thought this was interesting(from 1989) but still in effect: Thursday, in Pinehurst, N.C., 156 men will tee off in the first round of the U.S. Open. Every man in the world is eligible to attempt to qualify for the Open -- every man in the world but for those on The List of ineligible players. The List was invented more than two decades ago as a sort of inconspicuous rope fence to cordon off the Open, and most of its 12 other national championships, from dilettantes and unsuitably skilled interlopers. It includes about 100 women who flubbed their bid to qualify for the U.S. Women's Open. https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB929569443464706213
Sponsored Links

Last edited by ballgolfconvert; 10-15-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 68
Niced 145 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
In my time of running events I have come to realize that taking more shots is not usually what defines a group as slow. I would almost guarantee you that Nikko is slower than Lloyd...
Certainly slower per shot. But first round of worlds, Nikko threw 58 shots, lloyd threw 106 shots. That's almost twice as many throws, and no doubt lots of out of bounds, and probably a lot of time searching for discs. I can't imagine that lloyd played faster
Old 10-15-2019, 05:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,370 Times in 2,306 Posts

At Eureka, I wouldn't think he really takes all that much more time than the average player but at Northwoods, I can imagine him taking 3x the amount of time hacking his way thru those woods looking for errant shots.

I guess it really comes down to is how is he bad? Does he just throw 150ft noob hyzers? Or does he throw 250-300ft but has no control over where its going?...
Old 10-15-2019, 05:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 903 Times in 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Wasn't he the only one in his division?..
He was certainly the only person that won the division.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,834 Times in 1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
You also have to have a 2 handicap or better to enter qualifying as an amateur. They will also bar entry to anyone who repeatedly shot high scores in previous qualifiers. Glad to see the PDGA taking their competitions seriously. You need to earn the right to play in these events now and there is nothing wrong with that.

Correction: The USGA mandates that amateurs golfers must have a handicap index of no greater than 1.4 to enter U.S. Open qualifying.
How many thousands of players try to get into the US Open each year? How many thousands more would try if there weren't qualification standards?

Now contrast that to how many players are trying to get into, say, the Ledgestone or GBO?

There's a reason that ball golf has minimum qualifications for their tours and their majors...there's far more demand (players) than there is supply (tournaments and places within them). That dynamic doesn't exist yet in disc golf.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-15-2019, 05:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,370 Times in 2,306 Posts

I kind of agree that this shouldn't be a thing for elite series events, let the locals have their fun(and let the Pros benefit from their donations) but Worlds is a different matter.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-15-2019, 05:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 83
Niced 157 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
How many thousands of players try to get into the US Open each year? How many thousands more would try if there weren't qualification standards?

Now contrast that to how many players are trying to get into, say, the Ledgestone or GBO?

There's a reason that ball golf has minimum qualifications for their tours and their majors...there's far more demand (players) than there is supply (tournaments and places within them). That dynamic doesn't exist yet in disc golf.
This. The $200 donation entry fees Weema pays make a difference to someone on tour. It wouldn't matter in stick golf.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-15-2019, 05:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 2
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
I don't really mind the rule, as 900 is a pretty low bar to clear, but I do have a problem with someone on a PDGA governing body singling out one specific player as a problem. The guy has literally spent thousands of dollars these past couple years supporting the tour. He's an easy target for sure, but I would expect board members to have a bit more class.
The guy is on some unexplained ego trip. Should have been stopped long ago IMO. Having spectators witness his play in conjunction with the top pros, is a black mark on the sport and shows the governing body doesn't take competition seriously as long it gets it's money.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:51 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 835 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Wasn't he the only one in his division?..

And, didn't John E McCray DNF from the Southwest Florida Open tournament for the 3rd round, when he was in something like 4th place up to that point?

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/38625

I think Throwbot is being a bit disingenuous about his facts.

Niced: (1)

Old 10-15-2019, 05:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 137
Niced 249 Times in 108 Posts

the best way to learn to play better is to play against better players