Old 10-16-2019, 09:23 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 633 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Say it loud and say it proud, disc golf ain't bolf.

Stop trying to emulate it.

“Ball golf is so elitist and pretentious... Let’s mirror their rule structure!”

You really can’t make this stuff up. Couple that with the days-early leaking of the true logic behind the rule ahead of the announcement and completely different official reasoning. I mean, I’ve seen a lot of bush league sloppiness but this is really just sad.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2019, 09:30 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 523
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 153 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
I will say one of my best PDGA tournament experiences was playing a mixed 1st round card with a open player and MA1. I was struggling on the front 9, something like +6, and the open player just calmly stated, relax, take your time and enjoy yourself. Something very simple yet easy. I shot the hot scored for the card on the back nine at even. Something I will never forget, thanks KP.

I understand why Open players don't like it, but at a C-tier its not a big deal. Worlds nah that should have a cut off. But it looks like breaking out the older players has open up a number of spots that need to be filled.
I've always enjoyed mixed cards. I've been put on cards with all women when there's an odd # in my division, and enjoyed the hell out of those rounds. Even played better. The TD knew I wouldn't bitch about it like the other players.

If pros are griping about an am throwing their game off, they aren't a pro.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-16-2019, 09:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,831 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
-Makes sure that people who can compete to cash in these events are allowed to play. Let's not forget that several Elite events fill up every year (Ledgestone, Idlewild, BSF, Santa Cruz, GBO, etc)
Ledgestone: 3 sub-900 players in 2019
Idlewild: 4 sub-900 players in 2019 (did not fill)
BSF: 1 sub-900 player in 2019
Masters Cup: 0 sub-900 players in 2019
GBO: 1 sub-900 player in 2019

Yeah, huge numbers of players who "can compete for cash" are now going to be allowed to play.

Don't all these tournaments also have tiered registration? So the 1000+ rated guys (the ones who "can compete for cash") get an exclusive window to register before those lesser rated players even get an opportunity to sign up? How much more do these alleged professionals need to be coddled so they can have the privilege of playing in these elite events?

If they can't afford to sign up in time, that's not a problem that the PDGA needs to address. That's a personal problem that should prompt them to re-assess what their priorities should be.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:42 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 523
Niced 153 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Ledgestone: 3 sub-900 players in 2019
Idlewild: 4 sub-900 players in 2019 (did not fill)
BSF: 1 sub-900 player in 2019
Masters Cup: 0 sub-900 players in 2019
GBO: 1 sub-900 player in 2019

Yeah, huge numbers of players who "can compete for cash" are now going to be allowed to play.

Don't all these tournaments also have tiered registration? So the 1000+ rated guys (the ones who "can compete for cash") get an exclusive window to register before those lesser rated players even get an opportunity to sign up? How much more do these alleged professionals need to be coddled so they can have the privilege of playing in these elite events?

If they can't afford to sign up in time, that's not a problem that the PDGA needs to address. That's a personal problem that should prompt them to re-assess what their priorities should be.
Idlewild never fills.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-16-2019, 10:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 355 Times in 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Don't the TDs (and/or the tours and/or the PDGA) choose the players who are eligible for that fan voting? I've never seen an option to write in a candidate for feature cards. If Weema were voted on to a feature card, it would be because they made him an option.
I'm not sure about that, I've never even tried to do fan voting but I think that stinks if they limit voting to who they want rather than opening up to anyone. Weema on a feature card? Now that I'd pay to see!

Niced: (1)
Old 10-16-2019, 10:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 231
Niced 82 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
No, he can't. At least not if the rec division is sanctioned. He can't be reclassified down to Am status because he's accepted cash within the past year.
Yeah dude, that's wrong x100. Re-read the rules.

Here's the link for you:

https://www.pdga.com/files/2019_pdga...andards_v2.pdf

Table 4, Page 11.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 146
Niced 350 Times in 167 Posts

Let's see if I can remember most of the points thrown out at the Summit during the debate about this proposal. This issue sparked a lot of comments on both sides.

Pro:
These are high-profile events that need to showcase the most high-profile players.

Pro players said it's an unfair disadvantage to the players who are stuck having to look for their lost discs and wait while a <900 hacks it through the woods.

This wouldn't affect the payout for most events. Most events had a waitlist, so bumping a <900 guy off the registration list would have still resulted in a full field and a full payout. The payout line might increase a little in ratings, but wouldn't decrease in number of players being paid for most events.

Example: James Conrad was on the waitlist for the Memorial while <900 got in. Why are we leaving one of our premier players out of the event when we're letting in guys who have 0% chance of getting paid?

Con:
PDGA is a member based organization, and members should be allowed to play in their events.

Maybe so for NT/PT, but should the world championships be included? What if the best player in SmallCountryistan is <900 and wants to compete in the world championships. Shouldn't he be allowed to participate? A bit of hemming and hawing about the Olympics ... they let in a competitor from every country. No, that's wrong, the 100m only has like 9 competitors. No, that's only the finals, you're forgetting about the prelims. Sure, but still there are minimum qualification standards. Yea, for some events, but many events are open field. Etc.

These events have tiered registration schedules already. The pros have plenty of opportunity to register for an event before the low rated guys are allowed to. Very little sympathy for someone who fails to sign up in time.

Even if it passes for MPO, should FPO be included? Competition committee already had that discussion and roundly said FPO shouldn't currently be included in these restrictions. The field isn't large enough yet.

I believe the proposal passed the Board of Directors with a 5-1-1 vote. I could be misremembering.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:28 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 2
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
It's sad that disc golfers believe if you are a bad golfer you are not successful. I've dealt with it myself. I'm way worse of a golfer than one of our local pros that lives at home with his parents, but I'm way more successful in my work and home life. My focus is not on disc golf, that's for sure.
No, if you are a bad golfer you just shouldn't be competing with the best golfers. Yes you do bring down their games.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 176 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
I don’t think I said that (or didn't intend to). I get why the pro players would be for the rule. I also get why people want to please the pros. But Open should be open.
Some people are VERY hung up on the idea that because the name includes the word "Open" it should be 100% open to everybody

I have some bad news for you.... the NBA has a team in Canada. better start writing Adam Silver to let him know that can't happen because, after all, it's not the INTERNATIONAL basketball association

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
It's sad that disc golfers believe if you are a bad golfer you are not successful. I've dealt with it myself. I'm way worse of a golfer than one of our local pros that lives at home with his parents, but I'm way more successful in my work and home life. My focus is not on disc golf, that's for sure.
living at home with your parents doesn't by definition make you less successful

Old 10-16-2019, 10:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

I smile when I see a top pro on the waiting list. It makes me believe in the fairness of the registration process. If a player can't register in the time that is set aside specifically for them, then they don't have any more right to play than a 900 rated player.