#151  
Old 10-16-2019, 12:50 PM
SonicGuy's Avatar
SonicGuy SonicGuy is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,851
Niced 581 Times in 305 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSyl View Post
I call BS. No way in heck they: 1, are playing for 20K, and 2, put some random twosome on the card for the club championship.
That's fine, we thought it was crazy ourselves!! Now keep in mind the guys told us they were playing for $20k, I have no idea if that was actually the prize money or if it was a private side bet.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 10-16-2019, 01:29 PM
elmexdela elmexdela is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Courses Played: 219
Posts: 8,189
Niced 1,993 Times in 1,147 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
That's fine, we thought it was crazy ourselves!! Now keep in mind the guys told us they were playing for $20k, I have no idea if that was actually the prize money or if it was a private side bet.
what course
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 10-16-2019, 01:32 PM
DoWork DoWork is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 766
Niced 635 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSyl View Post
I call BS. No way in heck they: 1, are playing for 20K, and 2, put some random twosome on the card for the club championship.

I checked in my Heck and wouldn’t you know it- there was a way.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 10-16-2019, 01:59 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,889
Niced 3,839 Times in 1,584 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Example: James Conrad was on the waitlist for the Memorial while <900 got in. Why are we leaving one of our premier players out of the event when we're letting in guys who have 0% chance of getting paid?
The question shouldn't be why is sub-900 guy in while Conrad is not, it should be why didn't Conrad get in when he had a chance?

All DGPT tournaments had tiered registration. The Memorial certainly did. Per the graphic below, tour card holders (of which Conrad is most definitely one) got to register two weeks before anyone else, and three weeks before registration opened to anyone under 970 rated (for MPO).



Look at the early benefit the tour card holders got at every other DGPT event this year. Two week exclusive window for the first three events (Memorial, WACO, Jonesboro), a month's window for Ledgestone, and anywhere from 6 weeks (SFO) to 6 months (GMC) of exclusive registration time for the rest. If they're getting shut out of a DGPT tournament, it's their own damn fault.

Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 10-16-2019, 02:38 PM
ballgolfconvert ballgolfconvert is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 123
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
The question shouldn't be why is sub-900 guy in while Conrad is not, it should be why didn't Conrad get in when he had a chance?

All DGPT tournaments had tiered registration. The Memorial certainly did. Per the graphic below, tour card holders (of which Conrad is most definitely one) got to register two weeks before anyone else, and three weeks before registration opened to anyone under 970 rated (for MPO).



Look at the early benefit the tour card holders got at every other DGPT event this year. Two week exclusive window for the first three events (Memorial, WACO, Jonesboro), a month's window for Ledgestone, and anywhere from 6 weeks (SFO) to 6 months (GMC) of exclusive registration time for the rest. If they're getting shut out of a DGPT tournament, it's their own damn fault.
No one competing for a prestigious championship should have to compete along with someone with a recreational level game. It really is that simple. There is no "right" to experience elite level competition for people who are in no way elite. The people getting all butt hurt are the problem with the game. You folks just aren't thinking clearly. Probably the same people that don't think leagues should have any precedence over their right to play exactly when they want.

The answer to all of this of course, is to hold golf-style pro-ams before each of the big tourneys. Then those who want the 'experience" of playing with a top pro can get their satisfaction.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 10-16-2019, 03:08 PM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 6,722
Niced 2,159 Times in 898 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
No one competing for a prestigious championship should have to compete along with someone with a recreational level game. It really is that simple. There is no "right" to experience elite level competition for people who are in no way elite. The people getting all butt hurt are the problem with the game. You folks just aren't thinking clearly. Probably the same people that don't think leagues should have any precedence over their right to play exactly when they want.

The answer to all of this of course, is to hold golf-style pro-ams before each of the big tourneys. Then those who want the 'experience" of playing with a top pro can get their satisfaction.
Just out of curiosity... how many "elite level" disc golf competitions have you participated in, run, or even attended?

...and fwiw whether leagues have any precedence over casual play is solely dictated by the agreement between the folks running said leagues and the property owners. Around here they do not hold precedence.

Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 10-16-2019, 03:27 PM
bwgort bwgort is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sandy Springs, GA
Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 83
Posts: 411
Niced 157 Times in 86 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
No one competing for a prestigious championship should have to compete along with someone with a recreational level game. It really is that simple. There is no "right" to experience elite level competition for people who are in no way elite. The people getting all butt hurt are the problem with the game. You folks just aren't thinking clearly. Probably the same people that don't think leagues should have any precedence over their right to play exactly when they want.

The answer to all of this of course, is to hold golf-style pro-ams before each of the big tourneys. Then those who want the 'experience" of playing with a top pro can get their satisfaction.
What would you pay the pro players who participate in the pro-am events?
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 10-16-2019, 03:28 PM
Dcinmd Dcinmd is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 325
Niced 222 Times in 109 Posts
Default

So when one signs up for PDGA ""professional''" membership do they need a +900 rating? Or just $75??

It is interesting that the PDGA relabeled MPO from Men's professional open to Mixed professional open to not limited the division. Yet they come straight back and limit the division.

As many have mentioned this is a solution in search of a problem.

Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 10-16-2019, 03:28 PM
ThrowBot's Avatar
ThrowBot ThrowBot is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,477
Niced 906 Times in 400 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
That's only a restriction for players that have accepted cash and have a player rating above 970. You can play AM events if you've accepted cash and have a player rating under 970 as long as they're not majors.
True, good point. Allowed in all A/B/C tiers, per the Competition Manual section 2.04.A. (Not in Majors as you said, also not expressly allowed in NTs nor, interestingly, X-tiers.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post
Yeah dude, that's wrong x100. Re-read the rules.

Here's the link for you:

https://www.pdga.com/files/2019_pdga...andards_v2.pdf

Table 4, Page 11.
Whoops! You're right, I was mistaken on that point. Thanks for the link; very illuminating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Yes, he can. If you're sub-900 rated, you can play Rec whether you're classified as Am or Pro. That goes for any sanctioned tournament.
While we're in the spirit of acknowledging misinformation, I feel compelled to point out that the bolded is not true. There are a lot of sanctioned tournaments where you can't play Rec, even with a rating under 900. One example would be the 2019 Professional Disc Golf World Championships.

Lloyd Weema obviously wanted to play in that event, as evidenced by the fact that he shelled out $250 to participate, despite the objectively low odds that he'd win or even get into the cash. But there were 93 players that did win cash in the MPO division (the only division available to Lloyd). And among those 93 players that cashed, I'd be surprised if many of them complained that the purse was too big.

And speaking of Pro Worlds this year, here's an underappreciated set of facts: Lloyd Weema placed ahead of 8 competitors in the MPO division. Eight. And those 8 people had ratings that ranged from 927 to 996. So maybe this rating threshold of 900 shouldn't be as precious as some are making it out to be.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #160  
Old 10-16-2019, 03:37 PM
perklc perklc is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 170
Niced 271 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
No one competing for a prestigious championship should have to compete along with someone with a recreational level game.
I would think better about this rule if this were the actual reason given by the BOD for implementing it as I think Nate's abbreviated reasoning is lacking, especially the time and money arguments as has already been pointed out by others.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Upshot: WACO, Jeremy Koling, RamPAIGE | Ultiworld Disc Golf JTacoma03 General Disc Golf Chat 42 03-23-2018 11:14 PM
UltiWorld: About those disc golf Meccas... VictorB General Disc Golf Chat 39 04-12-2017 12:47 PM
Ultiworld Disc Golf Is Hiring onemilemore General Disc Golf Chat 1 06-28-2016 03:56 PM
Nice newspaper article about disc golf and disc golf in Spokane WA. Disc Dog General Disc Golf Chat 10 05-18-2014 03:03 PM
Disc Golf Article nosajeel99 General Disc Golf Chat 2 03-15-2009 01:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.